• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seriously considering not taking delivery

Should I take delivery?

• Total voters

attrezzo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Dude
Scheduled for build last year. Nicer lariat setup coming to ~$90k

Didn’t get “built/delivered” on time so missed the delivery estimate on the website.

Now the tax laws take effect… so bye bye $7500. That plus the no resale handcuffs have me thinking it might not be worth the risk.

Even $60k can buy a hell of a nice truck I can drive while I wait for some sanity to reenter the market.

Any current/previous owners out there that can a.) convince me I can resell the thing if I’m not happy with it. b.) That it’s not so much of a risk and worth the 1/3rd of a house I’m about to spend on it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Which resale handcuffs? I dont see why you cant resell it as long as you dont file for the tax deduction

OP
OP

attrezzo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Dude
Which resale handcuffs? I dont see why you cant resell it as long as you dont file for the tax deduction
So I don’t have to keep it a year if I don’t file for the deduction?

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
As one of those poors buying a Pro at 2022 pricing I voted no. Out of principle I can't justify what Ford is asking for these trucks now with how many features they've removed and how they've handled this whole rollout. Between that and poor loan rates and now loss of rebates/incentives I'd save your money and wait for the next truck you're actually excited about.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
Even $60k can buy a hell of a nice truck I can drive while I wait for some sanity to reenter the market.
When/if sanity returns, the prices won't drop. Just the rate of increases will moderate.
Any current/previous owners out there that can a.) convince me I can resell the thing if I’m not happy with it. b.) That it’s not so much of a risk and worth the 1/3rd of a house I’m about to spend on it.
HeHe. My mortgage is less than my Lariat SR. And while you'll be able to resell the truck, you'll likely lose money on it.

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
If you can afford to experiment with a new car and technology then go for it. This hasn't been perfect but it's fun as hell and you can trade it out if you have to at least.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Resale market is currently non-existant. Too many Lariat SR's delivered as dealer stock, mannequins, and demos becoming available. No more tax credit also hurts, people would rather buy at MSRP new, than a basically unused resale.

Either buy it to keep, or pass on it...thats my suggestion.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning

Didn’t get “built/delivered” on time so missed the delivery estimate on the website.

Now the tax laws take effect… so bye bye $7500. That plus the no resale handcuffs have me thinking it might not be worth the risk.

Just curious, but does the state of Oklahoma have a state EV rebate? In Colorado, we have a $2,500 state EV tax credit.

Do you use the truck for business purposes? Do you have a side hustle business where you use the truck?

If it is a No to these two questions, then you will pay full MSRP for the truck, and not get any tax benefits. Next step is to do an ROI calculation on whether the gas savings and other maintenance savings over the next few years is worth the new truck investment. What do you pay for energy at home?

I love my truck. I charge over night at $.06 per kilowatt, so it costs me $6 to go 200 miles. I also use my truck for my side hustle LLC, so will be able to take advantage of business use deductions.

There are other financial considerations to evaluate outside of the federal tax credit. I hope you can identify some, and then feel comfortable buying the truck. It is worth it.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor

Can you afford it? Is it more principle of these factors than cost? I think it’s “only “ about a $6000 difference for lariat since I reserved till I ordered/ then took delivery. I get the $7500 tax credit - heated steering wheel / onboard scales. I have everything else so all added up about $15k from a when you reserved if you end up not getting the $7500 which is significant no doubt.

So I was very nervous about taking delivery in December myself so I know what your feeling and I was kind of mad about the steering wheel delete and the onboard scales - felt like out of principle I would walk.
Then I took it for a spin for about 20 minutes and I was hooked . iMO it’s the way cars/trucks should have been made. The heating/cooling is perfect and there’s a noticeable difference getting into the lightning after “preconditioning “ vs my ice vehicles remote start. Instant acceleration with AWD suspension is great.

tonight go online and build a Tesla comparable to the lariat ER / or the Porsche EV/ Rivian andI think maybe like me you will get over some of the downfalls we think we are making compromises for.
By all means if the cost of interest rate/ no tax credit and increased cost makes it not worth it then by all means walk . But if it’s more “just not excited” anymore due to the increase in cost and less options then I say spend a little time with it and see how you feel .

lastly the Dealer would buy it from you if you don’t like it and I don’t think Ford will go after you for not liking a vehicle and selling it back to a ford dealership. That’s mostly for people that wanted to flip these vehicles but I think those days are drying up so I don’t think it’s an issue vs last year. Mines a 23 and I don’t think I even signed anything regarding that issue but could be wrong. At what cost would the dealer buy it back would be the question. My dealer is selling a special order someone didn’t take for $10k adm so I know they would take it close to what you paid for it. They will give you a crazy story about used car prices crashing but will mark that sucker up

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Don't take delivery, it's really not worth it.

Besides, the time to make money off these are long gone.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You don’t have to keep the vehicle for any specific amount of time before reselling it if you take the tax credit. Technically you can’t claim the credit if you have purchased for resale, but that’s meaningless here. Because you have to register the truck or put it into service to claim the credit, it becomes a “used” vehicle when you sell it. Combine that with the down turn of the resale market, you’d be lucky to break even on reselling it, even after the tax credit.

As others are pointing out, there are several considerations here. It’s a great truck! I picked mine up on December 30th, so just in the nick of time for the ‘22 tax credits. I have just shy of 1000 miles on it and while the software is buggy and incomplete, public/EA charging is infuriating, I’m loving this truck.

From a sensible financial perspective it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but I can make it work so here I am.
Just curious, but does the state of Oklahoma have a state EV rebate? In Colorado, we have a $2,500 state EV tax credit.
Don’t want to be butting in on this part and taking the thread off on a tangent, but…. If your Lightning is delivered with the all season tires and 8550# GVWR package the CO state rebate is $3500 for 2022 and drops to $2800 in 2023. If you’re at 8400# then it’s $2500 for ‘22 and drops to $2000 for ‘23. It will say on your window sticker.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
You don’t have to keep the vehicle for any specific amount of time before reselling it if you take the tax credit. Technically you can’t claim the credit if you have purchased for resale, but that’s meaningless here. Because you have to register the truck or put it into service to claim the credit, it becomes a “used” vehicle when you sell it. Combine that with the down turn of the resale market, you’d be lucky to break even on reselling it, even after the tax credit.

As others are pointing out, there are several considerations here. It’s a great truck! I picked mine up on December 30th, so just in the nick of time for the ‘22 tax credits. I have just shy of 1000 miles on it and while the software is buggy and incomplete, public/EA charging is infuriating, I’m loving this truck.

From a sensible financial perspective it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but I can make it work so here I am.
Don’t want to be butting in on this part and taking the thread off on a tangent, but…. If your Lightning is delivered with the all season tires and 8550# GVWR package the CO state rebate is $3500 for 2022 and drops to $2800 in 2023. If you’re at 8400# then it’s $2500 for ‘22 and drops to $2000 for ‘23. It will say on your window sticker.
The truck is over $90k, doesn't qualify for federal tax credit anymore regardless.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning

Thanks, @Monkey . I have a Lariat with the all season tires, and will check my window sticker for the right GVWR. Don't want to short myself $1k of tax credit!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

attrezzo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Dude
Don't take delivery, it's really not worth it.

Besides, the time to make money off these are long gone.
haha! That’s funny OK would probably tax EVs more if they could. Probably will find a way to do it in the next decade. Nah I was looking at the federal tax credit which has just evaporated.

I drive 125mi per workday. I sat down some weeks ago and calculated it all out using my power company’s billing rules to figure out how much I might save in fuel cost. Comes to about $400/mo! That’s after considering the cost of the additional electricity keeping in mind the cost of the electric included taxes, riders, etc. (this is about $.08/kWh in the summer and $.07/kWh in the winter).

Originally this was a considerable factor because it balances out to paying something like $1000/mo for the truck payment after considering down payment and all of that.

Anywho, the tax credit, missing features, perpetual price hikes, inability to resell, and woes about Sync4 (which is integrated so tightly you can’t go without) all have chipped away at my enthusiasm.

Then there’s the nextgen stuff. GMC’s offering, the 2025 lightning… both of which look loads better than the 2022/2023.

It’s starting to seem like the 2022/2023 models will turn into abandonware by 2026.

Slowly, what looked like a safe step forward has begun to turn into a shaky step into the dark.

I think I’d feel better if I saw the potential for a healthy aftermarket for things like batteries. But the forum posts about dealers having access to detailed errors that owners don’t, mysterious dysfunction that can only be solved by bringing a tithe to the dealer and bowing at the alter of the blue oval are not trending in the right direction.

OP
OP

attrezzo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Dude
The other thing is I’ve always planned to tow with this thing. I make 4 trips a year about 80mi one way. So 80mi, 12-14hr rest.

I have a boat and a golf cart I haul out to our lake cabin in the spring and back in the fall.

I have access to even cheaper power at the lake!

So put all that together and I was pretty excited to start noticing more money left in the bank than I might in a normal year.

But… at $60k this truck is a no-brainer. Having to plunk in another $30k for reliability through regular towing adds a bunch of “features” I have next to no faith in.

The self driving junk is cool sounding but I trust ford with software as much as I trust Google to make a good truck.

At any rate it would take over a year of fuel savings for me to make up the loss of the $7500 tax cred.

Decided to get the cheapest 2019+ ecodiesel ram I could find to tide over towing for a couple of years. The EV will probably end up being a second gen SUV for the wife. Maybe 2026.
Sponsored