chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
A VPN may not work.
I read a post where Ford suspended a user because they were using a VPN, even a VPN router.
They said " API traffic for FordPass must come from you at a valid USA IP address. If it’s coming from a VPN or a 3rd party your account will be locked."
That's not correct. Anyone with access to the vehicle can perform a master reset. No approvals necessary.
That part of my reply was about requesting access.
I made the mistake of initially setting up my Lightning using my smartphone, but then tried to use my tablet. They use different google logins so Fordpass thought I was a different user, and made me request authorization from myself at the other google address.

Yes the MASTER RESET seems to not require any verification of who's doing it. Seems like that is a security flaw maybe? I guess they figure if you are in the vehicle it's yours?
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had my Lightning for a week or two before I set up Fordpass.

It is not absolutely required to drive the vehicle.

"The FordPass App allows you to access your Ford vehicle information right from your smartphone or smartwatch. Key features of the app include remote access for properly equipped vehicles like remote start/stop, remote lock/unlock, and vehicle location."

All niceties, but not necessary to use the Lightning.

I personally never used the remote features, but the vehicle location was nice when the dealership had it for a while under a customer satisfaction program and was driving it back to me at home.

It's free so that's a nice feature.

I had the same capabilities with my 2012 Nissan Leaf when I got it in Dec 2011, and it was free too. AT&T changed technology so now that stuff doesn't work in the Leaf anymore, but not a big deal to me.

Other than driving the vehicle from the UAE to a country that supports Fordpass (Europe somewhere) I'd say you may have to just give up and just enjoy what does work on the Lightning, eh?

OP
OP

Fnlucci

First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
I had my Lightning for a week or two before I set up Fordpass.

It is not absolutely required to drive the vehicle.

"The FordPass App allows you to access your Ford vehicle information right from your smartphone or smartwatch. Key features of the app include remote access for properly equipped vehicles like remote start/stop, remote lock/unlock, and vehicle location."

All niceties, but not necessary to use the Lightning.

I personally never used the remote features, but the vehicle location was nice when the dealership had it for a while under a customer satisfaction program and was driving it back to me at home.

It's free so that's a nice feature.

I had the same capabilities with my 2012 Nissan Leaf when I got it in Dec 2011, and it was free too. AT&T changed technology so now that stuff doesn't work in the Leaf anymore, but not a big deal to me.

Other than driving the vehicle from the UAE to a country that supports Fordpass (Europe somewhere) I'd say you may have to just give up and just enjoy what does work on the Lightning, eh?
Hello
Really appreciate the response
I guess I might have to do just that, enjoy the car.

However another issue is that updates would not show up to the car. The car is not contacting with ford cloud so it doesn’t get automatically updated
Is there an easier way to update the vehicle without FDRS?
I have managed to update the car using that software

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not tired this but here is what Ford says, you can use a USB for updates:
Checking for and Installing SYNC Updates
To download and install SYNC updates:

1. Visit the SYNC and Navigation Updates page.
  2. Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or sign in to your Ford account and select a vehicle from your garage.
  3. Choose Check for update.
  4. Select the dropdown under SYNC UPDATES.
    Note: If you have the latest SYNC software version, you will see a green checkmark and a message stating that an update is not available for your vehicle.
  5. Choose USB Drive or Wi-Fi as your preferred installation method and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

PS: from: https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-i-install-sync-updates-using-a-usb-or-wi-fi/

Notes:

• Installing USB updates can take up to 45 minutes.
  • For Wi-Fi updates, the download time can vary from a few hours to multiple days depending on internet-related factors (Wi-Fi strength, internet speeds, time connected to Wi-Fi network, etc.).
  • Depending on your SYNC version, you may or may not be able to drive your vehicle during an update. Refer to Can I drive my Ford while it is updating for more information.
  • You cannot connect to the vehicle's Wi-Fi Hotspot (if equipped) to install Wi-Fi updates.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Geeze, too bad, and what are people with no cell service to do with Sync 4 then?
Alas, there is always something to make life difficult.
Sponsored