• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Solid Power Q3 2023 Results

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Based on 'A' samples being sent to OEMs, I would say this technology just moved inside the '5 years out' window. For those that don't know what I mean, Fuel Cells were '5 years out' when I joined the Air Force in 1983. When I retired from the Air Force in 2005, Fuel Cells were '5 years out'.

After I joined Southwest Research Institute, where there were several advocates for Fuel Cells, it was '5 years out'. Now we are doing more advanced research on Fuel Cells, and MAYBE they are under the '5 years out'.

I've said the same thing recently about solid state cells. These were '5 years out'. While we are not an OEM, we work for a lot of the major OEMs, and I'm hoping they ask us to start testing these!

Please note that Solid Power has no plans on actually producing cells, but wants to license the technology to others. Also note that the 'automotive qualification' takes several years...starting at the cell level, moving on to the module level, and finally blowing up a lot of these at the pack level for 'safety' testing :LOL:

https://batteriesnews.com/solid-pow...lls-to-bmw-to-enter-automotive-qualification/
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good luck to them, hopefully this pans out!!

While I watch NXU fka AMV share value hovering around $0.03 [3¢] from a buy in of $8.25

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Based on 'A' samples being sent to OEMs, I would say this technology just moved inside the '5 years out' window. For those that don't know what I mean, Fuel Cells were '5 years out' when I joined the Air Force in 1983. When I retired from the Air Force in 2005, Fuel Cells were '5 years out'.

After I joined Southwest Research Institute, where there were several advocates for Fuel Cells, it was '5 years out'. Now we are doing more advanced research on Fuel Cells, and MAYBE they are under the '5 years out'.

I've said the same thing recently about solid state cells. These were '5 years out'. While we are not an OEM, we work for a lot of the major OEMs, and I'm hoping they ask us to start testing these!

Please note that Solid Power has no plans on actually producing cells, but wants to license the technology to others. Also note that the 'automotive qualification' takes several years...starting at the cell level, moving on to the module level, and finally blowing up a lot of these at the pack level for 'safety' testing :LOL:

https://batteriesnews.com/solid-pow...lls-to-bmw-to-enter-automotive-qualification/

What do you think about QuantumScape and Toyota? If one company can produce them sooner, cheaper but with similar specs, are the other ones are screwed?

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What do you think about QuantumScape and Toyota? If one company can produce them sooner, cheaper but with similar specs, are the other ones are screwed?
First, no to your question.
Next, have they released 'A' samples to the OEM yet?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Good luck to them, hopefully this pans out!!

While I watch NXU fka AMV share value hovering around $0.03 [3¢] from a buy in of $8.25
I also have shares in them. Disappointed that they changed paths, but not surprised that they did after the release of the F150L.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
First, no to your question.
Next, have they released 'A' samples to the OEM yet?
Not sure. Toyota is the OEM but it sounds like they are still in "we are almost there" mode. They are still having issues with quality control at mass production and optimistic time lines are 2028.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not sure. Toyota is the OEM but it sounds like they are still in "we are almost there" mode. They are still having issues with quality control at mass production and optimistic time lines are 2028.
So it sounds like they are '5 years out'. See my previous comments about '5 years out'. Solid Power seems to be inside 5 years now with releasing 'A' samples.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I hadn't seen that news yet, always appreciate your perspective Mickey!

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

Sponsored
OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Man, that is an excessive amount of fluff! Nowhere in there could I determine what size (in Ah) they are up to. As far as I can tell, they have been 'proving' this technology for 13 years on coin cells!

I don't care what chemistries they are working on...LCO is fine if you can prove improved performance in something bigger than a 2 Ah cell. BTW LMO is 'not in favor', but it has it uses...the 3mWh battery we are proving out for a customer uses 20 Ah LMO cells.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Coming soon (tm)*

Not coming soon enough.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biggest complaint on this video is 'soulid'. If you are going to make a video on a type of technology, learn how to properly say the name :rolleyes:

That said, a fine video if you are looking for high level information, but there are some factual problems that really don't take away from the promise of the future.

Cycle life is the biggest hurdle in solid state and Li-metal cells. The dendrite growth is a real problem, but with Solid Power releasing 'A' samples, they may have solved that problem (and we will know based on the feedback of the 'A' samples.

Next, NASA is not working on their own cell...they are working with several OEMs, through their procurement company (Leidos) to develop a cell. NASA wants the technology but doesn't want to own the technology.

A few other minor gripes from someone who is on the front lines, but overall, a perfectly fine video if you don't take everything for an actual fact that will happen in the next 4 years.
Sponsored