• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Supercharger w NACS compatibility: works just fine...but,

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Over the last several days I've tried my newly received LECTRON NACS to CCS Adapter...

it's working just fine... up to 157.5kw...

Lake City Florida, and
N Orlando Florida

while I'll admit that some Supercharger units are easier to maneuver up to, to get 'close enough',
the one most recently, today, in N Orlando, at WAWA, actually has the unit in a different place than the 'normal'
units are placed, although it's certainly NOT designed for the Lightning... but, I made it work anyway...
with 1/2" to spare.
WAWAs got it going on in FLorida!
Ford F-150 Lightning Supercharger w NACS compatibility: works just fine...but, Tesla w Nacs compatibility N Orlando

Ford F-150 Lightning Supercharger w NACS compatibility: works just fine...but, 157.5kw Supercharger.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
secondly, I'll also add a few points:

- no need to deal with any App, not even the Ford Pass App, and
you certainly don't NEED the Tesla app - just plug in and let it do it's thang!
- I may have conquered the 'stuck NACS cable' after the first few trys were situations where the NACS cable did not want to let go of the Adapter.
: my solution: stop the charge with the charge port button
: pause, wait...
: pull out the Adapter, first
: then, disconnect the NACS cable from adapter

Reactions: chl

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You may have just been one of the few that got one that didn’t stick. My replacement is due today. Hopefully it will work better

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
secondly, I'll also add a few points:

- I may have conquered the 'stuck NACS cable' after the first few trys were situations where the NACS cable did not want to let go of the Adapter.
: my solution: stop the charge with the charge port button
: pause, wait...
: pull out the Adapter, first
: then, disconnect the NACS cable from adapter
Without an app how would the charger know when to start? Who to charge?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As has been explained a few times, there are two reasons to use the Tesla app (which may not matter to the OP).

1) Saving money. Pay the $12.99 membership fee the morning of a trip, get a 20 - 25% discount. Downgrade right away, takes effect in 30 days. For any multiday trip, you save money.

2) Further savings by using a credit card that pays a bonus for EV Charging. Costco pays 4%, for Q3 Chase will pay 5%. Ford Motor Company is not a recognized EV credit card processor, so you won't get any EV charging discount.

For those poo-pooing these savings, a post on a different Lightning forum today showed TWO charges in Canada for CD$ 207.84 (CD$ 1.02 per kWh). Assuming a 73% conversion rate, that's $151.72. Assuming a 20% discount, that's $30.34 in savings for the Tesla member, easily covering the $12.99 fee. Add to that a 2% discount for Costco's credit card over a 2% card, that's another $3.03, for a total savings of $20.38 over using Plug and Charge, JUST IN 2 CHARGES.

Reactions: chl

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reactions: cal
OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
Without an app how would the charger know when to start? Who to charge?
it's PLUG-N-CHARGE... it doesn't need any assistance to start... plugging it in is the 'start'...

your Ford Pass APP will pass thru the Tesla charges, and you'll receive an EMAIL receipt, charging the costs to your preferred payment method within your Ford Pass Blue oval account...

Last edited:
Reactions: cal
OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
... two reasons to use the Tesla app ...

1) Saving money.

2) Further savings by using a credit card
these only make any 'cents' for those who are using Tesla Superchargers almost exclusively, and certainly to the point that you have to 'get over' the initial MONTHLY CHARGE to use this level of the app... I don't find that the case with 'most' Lightning or other EV drivers.

also, most all Credit Cards can offer 'money back', just like my Walmart Capital One card, and my Sams Club synchrony card... not points, but pure cash(Walmart is cash, but Sams is store credit, unless you ask the CSdesk for a 'cash out')

I don't do EA levels of monthly fees, either... none make any sense to me, nor 'cents'...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
these only make any 'cents' for those who are using Tesla Superchargers almost exclusively, and certainly to the point that you have to 'get over' the initial MONTHLY CHARGE to use this level of the app... I don't find that the case with 'most' Lightning or other EV drivers.

also, most all Credit Cards can offer 'money back', just like my Walmart Capital One card, and my Sams Club synchrony card... not points, but pure cash(Walmart is cash, but Sams is store credit, unless you ask the CSdesk for a 'cash out')

I don't do EA levels of monthly fees, either... none make any sense to me, nor 'cents'...
Well, the example I gave was one person, two charges in one day. Broke even on ONE charge. Most Lightning drivers on a trip will breakeven before the first day is done.

As I pointed out with the credit card example, credit cards that pay EV charging incentives like Costco (or Chase Freedom Q3 this year), pay MORE than any cashback card people have (4%, 5%).

You have made clear in prior posts your aversion to saving money :confused:. But when you post on a forum like this and say things like "no need to deal with any app", and leave out the "unless you want to save money", people don't learn about opportunities to save money that they may want to partake off.

Myself - the morning of every trip I sign up for either EA, or now Tesla, depending on whether I will save money on my trip (already figured out with ABRP). Me, I like saving money. If you don't, you do you.

Ford F-150 Lightning Supercharger w NACS compatibility: works just fine...but, giphy-46

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
you make some points that some will 'buy' into, and that's the reason for the app Monthly Charges in the first place - but, most folks don't DC Fast Charge even on a monthly basis, BUT you WILL be charged each and every month, regardless - that's easy to 'forget' in light of everything else in life.

I am financially free, a financial advisor, have no debt, owe nothing on my LIGHTNING, and yet, you presume that you know me. I do what makes CENTS, not what most in the 'world' might think makes 'sense' for them... you can jump thru a LOT of hoops constantly to 'try' to 'save money', and yet you spin your wheels and create simply more worries than if you just do the good ol' plain Jane 'pay now, pay here, pay in full' scenario.

Yes, there are a few use cases for 'apps' and other requirements to feel like you are 'saving money', but the vast majority of EV owners who charge 99% of the time at HOME don't require such non-sense. The less apps I need to use, the better. Apps don't make life better, much of the time they simply complicate it.

Ford's PLUG-N-CHARGE to Tesla Superchargers is a fantastic 'easy' way to charge. I don't need or want ANY app to make this happen. That, itself, has nothing to do with money, saving money, or anything. It's just simplicity, as charging should be.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
you make some points that some will 'buy' into, and that's the reason for the app Monthly Charges in the first place - but, most folks don't DC Fast Charge even on a monthly basis, BUT you WILL be charged each and every month, regardless - that's easy to 'forget' in light of everything else in life.

I am financially free, a financial advisor, have no debt, owe nothing on my LIGHTNING, and yet, you presume that you know me. I do what makes CENTS, not what most in the 'world' might think makes 'sense' for them... you can jump thru a LOT of hoops constantly to 'try' to 'save money', and yet you spin your wheels and create simply more worries than if you just do the good ol' plain Jane 'pay now, pay here, pay in full' scenario.

Yes, there are a few use cases for 'apps' and other requirements to feel like you are 'saving money', but the vast majority of EV owners who charge 99% of the time at HOME don't require such non-sense. The less apps I need to use, the better. Apps don't make life better, much of the time they simply complicate it.

Ford's PLUG-N-CHARGE to Tesla Superchargers is a fantastic 'easy' way to charge. I don't need or want ANY app to make this happen. That, itself, has nothing to do with money, saving money, or anything. It's just simplicity, as charging should be.
As I've stated every time I've posted about either EA's plan or Tesla's plan:

1) Sign up the morning of the trip.
2) IMMEDIATELY DOWNGRADE. TAKES EFFECT IN 30 DAYS.

If you can't remember to do that 1 minute after signing up, then you have much bigger problems to deal with.

The problem with many of your responses is you make statements that fail to give information that others may find valuable. You do you, but give information that "most in the world" might want to be aware of.

Sure, you can use Plug and Charge every time you charge. But, if you want to save money, then you can also use EA's app and membership or Tesla's app and membership, or both.

Using EA's app is easy, as is Tesla's. I can take that 15 - 30 seconds of time to save each time I charge on a trip. And, if membership isn't justified on that trip, I'll use Plug and Charge.

We took a 22 day trip from MI to CA and back. Charged at EA almost exclusively (no Tesla adapter yet). We spent $563.05 AFTER EA discount. Working back, assuming a 6% sales tax, we saved $177. Spent $7 to do that.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yes, I do need the app. As do many others that Ford has seen fit to ignore with OTA's. I haven't gotten an OTA in 8.5 months. I have no choice but to use the app.

We have a Disney trip planned in Sept and you can bet your bottom dollar I plan on forking out $13 to Tesla so I can get the cheaper rate. I like getting the best possible value and relying on FordPass for an almost 1000 mile round trip is not it. I will HAPPILY take the extra 1 minute to open an app and tap my phone 2-3 times so I can save enough money to buy my kids some souvenirs.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired

What advisor are you under? Taught Series 6,7,65,66 for about 15 years. Retired now.
Sponsored