• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey : )

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
since I received my LECTRON Adapter last month, I've hit many Superchargers, to not only try them out, of course, but sometimes because there are fewer other 'fast' charger options, such as in N Orlando, where I am for a while...

The speeds are fast...

The EASE of connecting and activation is simple and 'no fuss' ... it's easy Plug-N-Charge.

The number of UNITS at each location help to remove the normal 'what ifs' for most other providers, like EA.

The reliability is 100%, so far.

Hugging close to a unit has not yet been any real issue(I realize that some Supercharger locations have removed many of their former 'bollards' or concrete impediments)...
I appreciate hosts like SunStop Truck Stops and Gas Stations along I75 in Florida... there parking setups, from what I've seen, leave drivers with the ability to use 'either side'...
(WaWa's come in a close second, as there are many with Superchargers in the Orlando area, although the 'hugging' is not as easy, and they don't have 'both sides' available to pull up to...)
I appreciate the Florida Turnpike's Superchargers, too.

If you're like me, and can drive long distances in the dark of night, it helps, too, to have mostly NO ONE else there...parking is then a breeze. ~350 miles from midnight to 6am ish, just now.

What I realize, like many who now have this capability, is that you are MUCH more relaxed, with the sheer number of Supercharger locations and stations at each location... I hardly even consider EA and CP anymore, and they are sometimes right next door. : /

Yes, pricing might be higher, of course, but sometimes just
the comfort of knowing everything is 'good' from the get-go just makes for a nicer and more relaxed trip.

I may just retract my earlier posts about having Superchargers as an 'option', as now I realize that, actually, everything ELSE may become the 'option'... oh well. Good to know. Good to have.

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) IMG_8654
Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) IMG_8655.PNG
Sponsored

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
and the return trip, mostly same route, similar conditions...

I75 S near Cordele GA, and on Florida Turnpike to N Orlando...
average of 2.0 mi/kWh... for 67mph almost the whole 340 miles...

overnight hours... no traffic... average temps low 80s... no wind.... little rain.
Good initial charge speeds between 150-160 average, although mostly 100's after several minutes, and most certainly drops to 1/2 that if/when you reach 80%...

all charging on the TESLA SUPERCHARGER NETWORK locations...
with cost of 50cents, 47cents, and 46cents per/kWh, respectively...

Cordele GA Supercharger, pull straight in next to unit, no issue...but taking up two spaces

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) cordele-10-00-

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) cordele-charge-

LiveOak Florida, tried far right unit first, but did not seem to want to connect, then tried far LEFT unit, taking up two spaces, at an angle...
Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) live-oak-angle-

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) live-oak-30-00-

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) live-oak-charge-

Florida's first turnpike Service Plaza... although this layout has two of the units separated separately from the others, those two units are to the far right of their respective spaces, and both up against a righthand curb, and if there's no other vehicles parked in the spaces left of those, you'd have to pull up thru at least two spaces and perpendicular to the unit to connect, which I did the first trip, but was also worried that a vehicle would come up into the space behind me and block me in... This time I decided to try the far RIGHT regular spaced unit, since no one else was there, anyway, but had to get VERY close to the unit...
Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) turnpike-hard-

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) turnpike-17-48-

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) turnpike-charge-

all in all, though, these Superchargers have made for a much more relaxed long drive, with Supercharger locations being much more available down I75 and on the Turnpike... much more relative than other third-party chargers. If EA had a similar number of locations and units per location, this would never be an issue, of course only if their reliability was on par. If Superchargers are not used on this route, you must then use a patchwork of EA locations, Chargepoint locations, and even a FPL(Florida Power&Light) location ...

One major relief is also not having to bear/open ANY app to charge at Tesla stations: it's part of the Ford Blue Oval network, and therefore, if you wish, is a simple Plug-N-Charge passthru to your preferred Ford account payment method. Just plug in with your adapter.
I also never had to open an app, other than to see the Speed on the Ford Pass App. Otherwise, you just wait to reach your preferred BATTERY SOC %, push the charge port oval charge light to stop, remove the Adapter, and go on about your way.

I did not one single time on this trip, in either direction, think about or even consider any other charging option. None. It just works.

I will attest that now after over 44,000 miles, and while I've certainly been successful in traveling over 33,000 miles, and towing, with relatively few major issues with all the 'other' charge providers, it's simply a comforting and easy method when traveling with the Supercharger network along your path - it certainly takes away most range anxiety, or 'charge' anxiety, even for an experienced EV owner, like me. Nice. Thanks Tesla. Thanks Ford.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I wholeheartedly agree!

We received our free adapter from Ford a couple weeks ago and have used it several times without issues. My biggest takeaways are:
  1. The time to handshake with the vehicle is generally 30 seconds or less - no clunky screens to deal with.
  2. Tesla may cost more for their monthly plan, but - unlike Electrify America - they do not have a “captive funds” payment methodology. So if I roll up to a EA station and need to buy $12.00 of electrons they charge me $20 because they only take $10 increments. Tesla simply charged me for what I consumed and is done with it. Because of this I have cancelled my EA plan.
  3. There are so many more Tesla locations to choose from and they are generally in ideal locations with decent amenities available.
@Ford Motor Company’s decision to lead the pack and join the Tesla network was by far one of the best and most consumer focused moves in the industry.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
and, to add to your request from FORD: add to your 'to do' list by adding the CHARGING SPEED directly to the truck's DRIVER SCREEN, while DC Fast Charging.... there's no reason to HAVE to open an app just to see the Speed of charging. Ford, if you can give me the 'Time to 90%' on the driver screen, then you OBVIOUSLY ALREADY KNOW the current Charging Speed: Add it.

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Supercharger access is a game changer and completely reduces range anxiety from using aggressive all terrain tires / towing.

It's also an awesome selling point when trying to gain new customers to buy your vehicle.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
since I received my LECTRON Adapter last month, I've hit many Superchargers, to not only try them out, of course, but sometimes because there are fewer other 'fast' charger options, such as in N Orlando, where I am for a while...

The speeds are fast...

The EASE of connecting and activation is simple and 'no fuss' ... it's easy Plug-N-Charge.

The number of UNITS at each location help to remove the normal 'what ifs' for most other providers, like EA.

The reliability is 100%, so far.

Hugging close to a unit has not yet been any real issue(I realize that some Supercharger locations have removed many of their former 'bollards' or concrete impediments)...
I appreciate hosts like SunStop Truck Stops and Gas Stations along I75 in Florida... there parking setups, from what I've seen, leave drivers with the ability to use 'either side'...
(WaWa's come in a close second, as there are many with Superchargers in the Orlando area, although the 'hugging' is not as easy, and they don't have 'both sides' available to pull up to...)
I appreciate the Florida Turnpike's Superchargers, too.

If you're like me, and can drive long distances in the dark of night, it helps, too, to have mostly NO ONE else there...parking is then a breeze. ~350 miles from midnight to 6am ish, just now.

What I realize, like many who now have this capability, is that you are MUCH more relaxed, with the sheer number of Supercharger locations and stations at each location... I hardly even consider EA and CP anymore, and they are sometimes right next door. : /

Yes, pricing might be higher, of course, but sometimes just
the comfort of knowing everything is 'good' from the get-go just makes for a nicer and more relaxed trip.

I may just retract my earlier posts about having Superchargers as an 'option', as now I realize that, actually, everything ELSE may become the 'option'... oh well. Good to know. Good to have.

IMG_8654.jpg
IMG_8655.PNG
Dittos to OP- except…. I road-tripped I75 over the Independence Day holiday, and encountered three Supercharger locations (East Point, GA, a Buc-ees in Fort Valley, GA, and Ocala, FL) that were full with Teslas waiting to charge. I was a bit daunted by the fact that I needed to wait for two adjacent spaces to open, in order to have a driver’s side charging cable, and so moved on to Plan B (I always have a Plan B location ID’d, out of paranoia gained through experience). However, Tesla SC access is definitely a game-changer: not only is there a ready Plan B usually less than 50mi away, but if you include the CCS DCFC networks, there’s often a Plan C and D available as well. Range anxiety is over, but replaced by the knowledge that high-traffic holiday weekends are only going to get tougher, as more Teslas (and non-Teslas) are hitting the road faster than Supercharging is expanding to accommodate them. BTW, the new Mercedes-branded ChargePoint CCS chargers work great, if you don’t mind the traffic jams in/out of Buc-ees: fast connection after a credit card tap, and rated at 400kW (saw 156kW on my SR Lightning).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
right, and 'Holiday Weekends' or travel days are probably going to be annoying and slow EVERYWHERE you go, no matter the type of vehicle you are in... which is why my having the option to travel from 12 midnight to 6am worked very nicely, not a Tesla in sight.

BuCee's in Byron/FtValley I75 is a MAD HOUSE! I will try to avoid them even on 'nice' traffic days...just WAY TOO MANY people stacked on top of each other at these stations, whether gas pumps on chargers! Yes, the Mercedes CHARGEPOINT units are nice, and certainly the go-to option for us, since they're likely hardly ever used, and certainly not ever backed up.

The EASTPOINT Supercharge on the east side of I285 Atlanta is a MAGIC DOCK location, too, and the only one in Georgia so far, and therefore is going to ALSO attract ANY other CCS EV since they can now use that location, if they choose.

OCALA is not one that I have graced the presence of, at least yet, as I used LIVE OAK, which had a few Teslas, and south on the Florida TURNPIKE's first Service Center, which was VACANT, except for me.

I try to stay away from Ocala, Gainesville, and Atlanta since the 'metro' area Supercharger certainly tend to attract much more 'local' traffic, too. Valdosta, Live Oak, Lake City, and the FL Turnpike are relatively vacant.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I was a bit daunted by the fact that I needed to wait for two adjacent spaces to open, in order to have a driver’s side charging cable, and so moved on to Plan B...
yes, I think this is somewhat a concern for most of us, but, honestly, at almost every Supercharger I've charged at over the last several days, 6-7 of them, I almost ALWAYS had to take up two spaces. They are just not designed for us, yet, though I've seen some that have had their 'bollards', concrete posts, removed, which helps us to more easily get 'closer', like I had to just THIS MORNING in N Orlando.
I look at it like this: Tesla has opened up the Supercharger network to FORD, KNOWING that our Lightnings and other vehicle 'might' have to use two spaces in order to reach the unit, at least with many of the older unit layouts.
I don't apologize for this, as it's just part of the deal. No, I try not to, but if you have to, you just have to. I would love to see EVERY supercharge location have a far RIGHT unit that does not have ANY impediment to parking to the right of the unit in order to connect, and therefore without hindering other vehicles. That is not the case in most locations, and, it also still does not preclude any other vehicle, Ford or not, from charging at that unit.

I think Tesla and other owners understand the situation, or will when they see how we have to park, and I don't really think that most of the time they are negative about it, although curious, yes. If you are blocking a Tesla that just arrived and has no other 'option' since the station is full, then I guess you have a case, but SOMEONE is about to move, even if it's not you. I felt a little of this the other night in LIVE OAK. I tried the far right space, taking up only one parking space, but the unit would not activate(the first time I've had this issue)... so, while some Teslas were there in the more 'middle' spaces, I went down to the far LEFT unit, having to come in at an angle, and yes, taking up then the next unit space. But, it was what it was, and, while a few more Teslas arrived while I was charging, there was still always a space for them, before another Tesla left, etc. No worries. I would make no apologies even if a Tesla arrived and had no space to back into... it's just part of the charging infrastructure situation, at many Superchargers, and likely will be resolved soon.

Also, if typical Tesla owners 'knew' not to use the far right unit UNLESS all other spaces were taken when they arrive, it might relieve some of these 'parking issues' with us LIGHTNINGS, at least in many situations.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The other issue is Tesla owners using the single halfway in the space unit that would be perfect for the Lightning (or Mach-E) instead of backing into the other open spaces...

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
yes, I think this is somewhat a concern for most of us, but, honestly, at almost every Supercharger I've charged at over the last several days, 6-7 of them, I almost ALWAYS had to take up two spaces. They are just not designed for us, yet, though I've seen some that have had their 'bollards', concrete posts, removed, which helps us to more easily get 'closer', like I had to just THIS MORNING in N Orlando.
I look at it like this: Tesla has opened up the Supercharger network to FORD, KNOWING that our Lightnings and other vehicle 'might' have to use two spaces in order to reach the unit, at least with many of the older unit layouts.
I don't apologize for this, as it's just part of the deal. No, I try not to, but if you have to, you just have to. I would love to see EVERY supercharge location have a far RIGHT unit that does not have ANY impediment to parking to the right of the unit in order to connect, and therefore without hindering other vehicles. That is not the case in most locations, and, it also still does not preclude any other vehicle, Ford or not, from charging at that unit.

I think Tesla and other owners understand the situation, or will when they see how we have to park, and I don't really think that most of the time they are negative about it, although curious, yes. If you are blocking a Tesla that just arrived and has no other 'option' since the station is full, then I guess you have a case, but SOMEONE is about to move, even if it's not you. I felt a little of this the other night in LIVE OAK. I tried the far right space, taking up only one parking space, but the unit would not activate(the first time I've had this issue)... so, while some Teslas were there in the more 'middle' spaces, I went down to the far LEFT unit, having to come in at an angle, and yes, taking up then the next unit space. But, it was what it was, and, while a few more Teslas arrived while I was charging, there was still always a space for them, before another Tesla left, etc. No worries. I would make no apologies even if a Tesla arrived and had no space to back into... it's just part of the charging infrastructure situation, at many Superchargers, and likely will be resolved soon.

Also, if typical Tesla owners 'knew' not to use the far right unit UNLESS all other spaces were taken when they arrive, it might relieve some of these 'parking issues' with us LIGHTNINGS, at least in many situations.
Agree with all of your points, and I always hope to find an open “Lightning” space at the right end of Supercharger Row. I’m not bashful about taking up two spaces (Tesla obviously knew we would have to), but when Superchargers are fully occupied, having to wait long enough for two adjacent spaces to open up could mean an hour wait or longer. BTW, I’m not seeing much pushback from Tesla drivers having to wait for Fords to Supercharge; in fact, I had one Tesla Good Samaritan move from his space on the right end to another space, when he saw that I required left side chargeport access!

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
right, and it's no different, really, when we are charging at a CCS Station, whether EA or CP or EVgo, etc and a Tesla arrived to charge. I don't worry about them. I don't question why. They are an EV just like we are.
Tesla 'ownership' of Superchargers is really what is the deep-down concern, as many Tesla owners have had their way with 'charging' without having to deal with 'us' other EVs for so long... there may be some annoyance and bitterness inherent in that feeling.

Yes, arriving at a Supercharger and not having 'two spaces' for someone like us could be annoying for us, but the Tesla owners don't really care, but, what you've experienced is that the thought that 'every' Tesla owner is aggravated with 'us' might just be a little overkill.

Interestingly, too, the Supercharger in N Orlando has a couple of atypical unit layouts, meaning that one is perpendicular to the space, but half way back, rather than ALL THE WAY back, so it still does not work for us. The other unit is on an island, at the FRONT end of the space, and I've used that one once or twice since I can simply pull up NEXT to it.
The problem with even that ONE unit, though, is that if a Tesla has backed into the space next to it, on EITHER side, I would now be BLOCKED either or both of those vehicles from leaving.
This unit also means that you are parked, charging, IN THE LANE of traffic. It wasn't really designed for us, but, usable in 'some' situations.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
What navigation do you use for your trips? Ford native routing sucks and Apple routing is way to conservative for me. Just did my normal vacation from Middle Ga to south FL, and basically every station in Fl was packed Both Tesla and EA. On a good note, I arrived at the Tesla chargers in Jasper FL and it was full when I got there. I parked at the very end stall so that when The current Tesla charging left, I could plug in. Went inside to pee and order food and when I come back out I politely asked the driver how long they had left and they offered to move to one of the spots that had opened up. I insisted that I could wait or move to one of the open spots but they insisted on moving and letting me have the current spot they were charging in.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
What I've done, to simplify my life and locations while traveling, is to use Google Maps on my iphone.

A) I go to Tesla's Supercharger location map website and find all the Superchargers I can use a long my planned route/area...
B) on each of these locations, I 'PIN' this location, and 'SAVE' it with a FLAG, or STAR, etc.

C) Now, whenever I look at my Google Maps, on a large OVERVIEW, these FLAGs or STARs of Supercharger locations show very easily. I can simply touch one and then choose to see the 'miles'/directions to that location, either from where I'm at at any given moment, while driving, or simply for pre-planning while sitting on my couch at home.

D) I also don't plan on trying to charge past 80% since any charger, Superchargers included, are going to be slowing GREATLY from that point. Knowing that even at 80% charge my PRO is going to give me maybe 160 miles, at MOST, at an average 65-70mph of 2.0 mi/kWh, and leaving a buffer of 10%, my MOST MILES between chargers needs to be no greater than maybe 70% SOC x 2.0 = 140 miles, to be comfortable.

E) I will generally watch my mi/kWh and plan on stopping every 100-150 miles between chargers, but, if the mi/kWh is better than I planned, sometimes that allows me to skip a planned charger location and make it to the next one, if it seems like a logical choice, and/or the wife likes the location better, with restaurants/shopping, etc.

ALSO, since I have and use the Google Maps on both my iphone AND my laptop, anytime I 'SAVE' and use a FLAG or STAR, it translates to either device I am using... I keep a simple Google CHROMEBOOK at home, next to the couch, and one on the Center console in the truck. Since both laptops are logged into the same email/account, BOTH update with any changes I make, etc. Chromebooks are SO CHEAP, and EASY to use, I just find that this works VERY WELL for me personally, along with my truck trip planning, AND for my BUSINESS, which is Insurance.

Ford F-150 Lightning Superchargers working Just Fine... me likey  : ) Screenshot 2024-07-08 10.42.18 AM

Last edited:

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
What I've done, to simplify my life and locations while traveling, is to use Google Maps on my iphone.

A) I go to Tesla's Supercharger location map website and find all the Superchargers I can use a long my planned route/area...
B) on each of these locations, I 'PIN' this location, and 'SAVE' it with a FLAG, or STAR, etc.

C) Now, whenever I look at my Google Maps, on a large OVERVIEW, these FLAGs or STARs of Supercharger locations show very easily. I can simply touch one and then choose to see the 'miles'/directions to that location, either from where I'm at at any given moment, while driving, or simply for pre-planning while sitting on my couch at home.

D) I also don't plan on trying to charge past 80% since any charger, Superchargers included, are going to be slowing GREATLY from that point. Knowing that even at 80% charge my PRO is going to give me maybe 160 miles, at MOST, at an average 65-70mph of 2.0 mi/kWh, and leaving a buffer of 10%, my MOST MILES between chargers needs to be no greater than maybe 70% SOC x 2.0 = 140 miles, to be comfortable.

E) I will generally watch my mi/kWh and plan on stopping every 100-150 miles between chargers, but, if the mi/kWh is better than I planned, sometimes that allows me to skip a planned charger location and make it to the next one, if it seems like a logical choice, and/or the wife likes the location better, with restaurants/shopping, etc.

ALSO, since I have and use the Google Maps on both my iphone AND my laptop, anytime I 'SAVE' and use a FLAG or STAR, it translates to either device I am using... I keep a simple Google CHROMEBOOK at home, next to the couch, and one on the Center console in the truck. Since both laptops are logged into the same email/account, BOTH update with any changes I make, etc. Chromebooks are SO CHEAP, and EASY to use, I just find that this works VERY WELL for me personally, along with my truck trip planning, AND for my BUSINESS, which is Insurance.
Yeah I ended up just using google maps on the last leg of my trip because I only needed to go 100 miles and still had 53% charge left in my ER with almost 200 miles left in range, and both Apple maps and Native navigation telling me I needed to charge to get home. Arrived home with 33% charge. I'm going to try out ABRP with the dongle on my next trip and see if its any better.
Sponsored