Sponsored

Tesla announces Cybertruck deliveries in November, claims 125,000 production capacity

OP
OP

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I dont think they are gonna ramp up that fast at all. I get the feeling this isn't nearly as automated as the other Teslas' and I would think if that's true they may be struggling with streamlining and costing out the build. Simply, It's probably taking more people and more time to do more complicated things. Tesla's success to-date is partly in avoiding labor intense activities and the cybertruck may be the polar opposite of that.

Elon -
"I just want to temper expectations for Cybertruck," Musk said Wednesday. "It will take a year to 18 months before it is a significant positive cashflow contributor." Musk said there will be "enormous challenges" in reaching volume production with the Cybertruck.
Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Ford briefly demonstrated the ability to run at a pace of 150,000 a year on build week 9/25, but they need to sustain that pace, quality, supplies and labor need to line up with customer demand!

The big picture is that the economy does not support the goals that Ford or Tesla anticipate(d)!!
Read, GM and others are shying away from these lofty goals as well, see other threads....
For the sake of the EV transition, and the looong term success of Ford, I would love to see Ford build a lot more Lightnings, and cut the price - again (totally recognizing they will lose even more money).

The years, 2023 - 2025 is of course going to be a money loser for Ford, but that is part of ramping up to new tech. Sell them at the price Ford anticipates they will be able to sell their GEN2 Lightnings. Ford has an open lane, no one ahead of them, this would be the time to make the investment (sunk costs) to grab market share by getting more Lightnings into buyers hands.

OP
OP

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For the sake of the EV transition, and the looong term success of Ford, I would love to see Ford build a lot more Lightnings, and cut the price - again (totally recognizing they will lose even more money).

The years, 2023 - 2025 is of course going to be a money loser for Ford, but that is part of ramping up to new tech. Sell them at the price Ford anticipates they will be able to sell their GEN2 Lightnings. Ford has an open lane, no one ahead of them, this would be the time to make the investment (sunk costs) to grab market share by getting more Lightnings into buyers hands.
I kinda agree. It's part of learning and branding for Ford in the big boy EV space. Tesla doesn't just sell cars, they collect data on how the cars are being used to optimize for software updates and future models. They are watching peoples driving habits, charging habits, infotainment habits and seeing where they need to improve. I hope that is what Ford is doing right now in a good productive way not just a stalking me to sell me more cars way.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I would like to see what the insurance rates are going to be on what looks like a nightmare to fix.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Ford also has the opportunity to corner the fleet market with the Gen 1 Lightning. A Pro with an SR LFP battery is the perfect truck for a majority of fleet applications. They wouldn't necessarily lose money on those, especially if they can get ongoing contracts for their fleet management services.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Ford also has the opportunity to corner the fleet market with the Gen 1 Lightning. A Pro with an SR LFP battery is the perfect truck for a majority of fleet applications. They wouldn't necessarily lose money on those, especially if they can get ongoing contracts for their fleet management services.
Very good point.

How many fleet trucks is Tesla selling right now? None.
How many fleet pickups is Rivian selling? None.
How many fleet 4WT EV pickups is GM selling? A couple a month? At $85,000.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Very good point.

How many fleet trucks is Tesla selling right now? None.
How many fleet pickups is Rivian selling? None.
How many fleet 4WT EV pickups is GM selling? A couple a month? At $85,000.
True, they have it cornered now and for the forseeable future. The Silverado EV WT is the closest thing to competition but they have not been able to scale ultium to make any meaningful impact. Plus I think the WT is not as amenable to upfits that fleet customers need.

OP
OP

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd even go further to say Ford should consider filling the Long Range cavity Space with a bigger LFP battery maybe creating a mid range battery... not for the sake of having a midrange battery but just to offer the full potential of LFP. It would be a maximum long term stable/reliable battery.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'd even go further to say Ford should consider filling the Long Range cavity Space with a bigger LFP battery maybe creating a mid range battery... not for the sake of having a midrange battery but just to offer the full potential of LFP. It would be a maximum long term stable/reliable battery.
With the lower power available from an LFP battery, any extra space may already be used to get the performance and range from the normal standard battery.

MacMike

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Video from Joe Tegtmeyer YT channel of Giga Texas of two Cybertrucks driving around the factory. The CT portion of the video starts at 20:40.

Sponsored