• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla not appearing in charger list/no plug-n-charge

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
We ALL need to use the [Charge Assist] app in sync to locate and push the location into Ford Navigation, from there I built the rest of my itenery for a road trip last Friday, worked perfectly, Ford Nav guided me directly to a Tesla station which was compatible and required I have my NACS to CCS adapter, once that leg of the trip was done Ford Nav guided me to the final destination point.
my experience was not the same. Charge Assist currently does not even show a Tesla charger that I actually used a month ago. it does show up in Ford Pass however.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
my experience was not the same. Charge Assist currently does not even show a Tesla charger that I actually used a month ago. it does show up in Ford Pass however.
I've heard of a few others stating similar, are you certain the filters are set correctly?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
There are some 'filters' that you will need to employ to 'see' SUPERCHARGERS : probably under the 'UltraFast' tab...

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I've heard of a few others stating similar, are you certain the filters are set correctly?
yes. other Tesla chargers do show up but not the one I know is there, because I used it. I'll check it again today and see if anythings changed

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I did a quick look and the Public Charging (Charge Assist) app showed Tesla chargers, not just Magicdock ones but ones where you need the adapter. I don't know if they are all there, but I see that it at least intends to show all the Tesla chargers available to us. I have the 6.14 update, and I don't know if they were listed in the app before as I didn't check.

Note that the while the Charging app lists Tesla chargers, Navigation does not, so it won't automatically route you to them. Ford says that update is coming. They also said Apple Maps will be updated to route to Tesla chargers (currently Maps does not know that Fords can charge at them).

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I understand the desire to have the truck 'tell you' where to go, but a simple search using TESLA's own map will show you the most accurate and available locations:
you just arrive and PLUG IN.

All the concern and aggravations with the Ford software is just not worth the effort ...

I find that Tesla SUPERCHARGERS are working just fine, in at least 3 states I travel to/thru, and many Supercharger locations in each... google maps works well, too.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
yes. other Tesla chargers do show up but not the one I know is there, because I used it. I'll check it again today and see if anything's changed
Just checked again. Now neither nav or charge assist show any tesla chargers. Ford's gotta fix this fast. I don't trust Ford's software and I no about using plugshare, ABRP etc, but adoption of EV's is going to continue to be difficult when people can't trust the systems they paid for.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I understand the desire to have the truck 'tell you' where to go, but a simple search using TESLA's own map will show you the most accurate and available locations:
you just arrive and PLUG IN.

All the concern and aggravations with the Ford software is just not worth the effort ...
I rented a Tesla for a road trip before I got my Lightning just to see what the experience was like. What I experienced was what I hope my truck can one day achieve:

]You get in, input your destination, hit go, and follow its directions.

It navigates you to superchargers as needed and tells you how long to charge at each one. It knows each charger's current availability and routes accordingly. You don't have to preplan, you don't have to look up stations on a map, you don't have to guess how long to charge at each one, you don't have to look up reviews on Plugshare, you don't have to check to make sure the charger works or even exists. You just go.

If I try this in my truck I might get lucky, I might get stranded, or I might make it but in a very bad mood.

For the Ford system to be effective it's going to have to allow us to only route to charger networks of our choosing, give an option to substitute a selected station for one of our choosing, and also suggest stations that we exclude if it would make the route significantly faster. If I select only Tesla, but if there's an EA charger that would make my trip an hour faster, it should say "even though you said don't go to EA, if you use this one you'll save an hour." Maybe even have levels of preference, like first only Tesla, but if if it shortens the trip a lot then pick EA, and third EVgo.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I drove a Model 3 LR to the Ford unveiling/drive of my new F150 LIGHTNING in San Antonio, from far N Alabama(Huntsville), from Hertz, back in May of '22... while waiting so patiently for my early-ordered PRO Lightning... almost 2,000 miles total.

yes, their software is pretty much on par, but, no, I did not find it to be perfect, as it wanted to direct me 30 MILES OUT OF THE WAY to go to one rural Supercharger, when a closer one was already along the path I was on. It's Lane Centering/self steering is NOT perfect either... I would never rely on Tesla's software, or anyone else's, if I want to PROTECT MYSELF from miscues... NONE are totally reliable.

I find that 'I can't find Tesla Superchargers on my Charge App' an unreliable statement, as well, as it shows up just fine on mine, even if I choose to NOT use the Ford software.

I find GOOGLE MAPS and Tesla's own Supercharger MAP, if that's the only DC Fast Chargers you are concerned with navigating to, to be totally reliable... at least as close to 'perfect' as can be.

Ford NAV: don't use. don't trust. is not accurate. is not 'easy' to use.

Ford CHARGE APP: don't use. can't use while 'in gear/motion'(ridiculous!). not reliable.

Ford Pass APP: use sometimes to confirm availability or confirm google maps, etc. Hardly ever need to use anymore with Plug-N-Charge.

Other APPS: have little to no need for any.

Tesla: no, not perfect.
Sponsored