Sponsored

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT ER 2023
I signed up for a couple of 4WD training courses - off road and sand driving - as this vehicle is my first 4WD. Thought it best to learn some of the basics firsthand.

Overall they were not too difficult and the Lightning handled things pretty well. Probably the biggest negative was the longer wheelbase means it doesn't have a great "breakover" angle, so it can mean some stuff gets a bit more gnarly than for the shorter wheelbase 4WDs that are more prevalent.

For the off road/mud driving, the power consumption was very low. I used about 10% of the battery for the 5 to 6 hours of crawling around that we did. That was very encouraging. Sand driving however was another story. Admittedly we were doing training, so we drove mostly on the loose sand instead of the hard compacted stuff near the water. Power usage was very heavy though at about 1 kW/km, which is about 3 times "normal". I asked the trainer about the consumption in their vehicle and he mentioned that it's very heavy also - at least 5 times normal. Takes a lot of energy to push through that loose sand.

The worst part was having to clean the vehicle after, and while the sand comes off easy enough, it gets everywhere. Major pain to deal with overall and it took longer to clean than the mud. I've got a oscillating garden sprinkler that I can put under the vehicle to spray water into various crevasses and this was especially helpful dealing with the sand.

(Videos and Photos are by wife)

Videos (the descriptions have more commentary about the course, etc):

Glasshouse Mountains hill climb:
Glasshouse Mountains hill descent:
Glasshouse Mountains deep rut hill climb:
Glasshouse Mountains deep rut hill climb at top:
Glasshouse Mountains practice area:
Glasshouse Mountains easy muddy water cross:

Bribie Island Sand Driving - Getting bogged:
Bribie Island Sand Driving - The rescue part 1:
Bribie Island Sand Driving - The rescue part 2:

Whales off Bribie Island:

Pictures:

Time to get dirty:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1070759 small

We didn't do this path thankfully, but as we were preparing to do the other side, some other people turned up and had a go - and failed.
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1070793 small

This was the other side of the image above:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1070792 small

Coonowrin (Crook Neck) Mountain:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1070811 small

Pumping up at the end and some of the dirty bits:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1070826.JPG

And now the sand driving:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080425

Relatively clean at this point:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1080483.JPG

Some of the local wildlife watching on:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080523

This leads to an inland track that loops back to the start. We didn't do that on the day.
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080546

Got stuck at one point, but we used it as a training exercise. The videos cover this in more detail.
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080606

This is the aftermath discussion where you can see the compacted sand, etc:
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080623

Some migrating whales off the coast (see video for more):
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills small P1080507

Towards the end. It might not look it, but we did manage to clean out a lot of sand when we got home. We've got our own backyard beach now. :)
Ford F-150 Lightning Thunderbolt has some dirty weekends (pics & videos) -- offroading in mud, sand, hills P1080566.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Great Post. Thanks for sharing.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I signed up for a couple of 4WD training courses - off road and sand driving - as this vehicle is my first 4WD. Thought it best to learn some of the basics firsthand.

Overall they were not too difficult and the Lightning handled things pretty well. Probably the biggest negative was the longer wheelbase means it doesn't have a great "breakover" angle, so it can mean some stuff gets a bit more gnarly than for the shorter wheelbase 4WDs that are more prevalent.

For the off road/mud driving, the power consumption was very low. I used about 10% of the battery for the 5 to 6 hours of crawling around that we did. That was very encouraging. Sand driving however was another story. Admittedly we were doing training, so we drove mostly on the loose sand instead of the hard compacted stuff near the water. Power usage was very heavy though at about 1 kW/km, which is about 3 times "normal". I asked the trainer about the consumption in their vehicle and he mentioned that it's very heavy also - at least 5 times normal. Takes a lot of energy to push through that loose sand.

The worst part was having to clean the vehicle after, and while the sand comes off easy enough, it gets everywhere. Major pain to deal with overall and it took longer to clean than the mud. I've got a oscillating garden sprinkler that I can put under the vehicle to spray water into various crevasses and this was especially helpful dealing with the sand.

(Videos and Photos are by wife)

Videos (the descriptions have more commentary about the course, etc):

Glasshouse Mountains hill climb:
Glasshouse Mountains hill descent:
Glasshouse Mountains deep rut hill climb:
Glasshouse Mountains deep rut hill climb at top:
Glasshouse Mountains practice area:
Glasshouse Mountains easy muddy water cross:

Bribie Island Sand Driving - Getting bogged:
Bribie Island Sand Driving - The rescue part 1:
Bribie Island Sand Driving - The rescue part 2:

Whales off Bribie Island:

Pictures:

Time to get dirty:
P1070759 small.jpg

We didn't do this path thankfully, but as we were preparing to do the other side, some other people turned up and had a go - and failed.
P1070793 small.jpg

This was the other side of the image above:
P1070792 small.jpg

Coonowrin (Crook Neck) Mountain:
P1070811 small.jpg

Pumping up at the end and some of the dirty bits:
P1070826.JPG

And now the sand driving:
small P1080425.jpg

Relatively clean at this point:
P1080483.JPG

Some of the local wildlife watching on:
small P1080523.jpg

This leads to an inland track that loops back to the start. We didn't do that on the day.
small P1080546.jpg

Got stuck at one point, but we used it as a training exercise. The videos cover this in more detail.
small P1080606.jpg

This is the aftermath discussion where you can see the compacted sand, etc:
small P1080623.jpg

Some migrating whales off the coast (see video for more):
small P1080507.jpg

Towards the end. It might not look it, but we did manage to clean out a lot of sand when we got home. We've got our own backyard beach now. :)
P1080566.JPG
That does it... I'm coming over with my truck! 😄😃

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Ya, gotta LOVE that Independent suspension, and I assume the "Differentials" were locked !?
🤔
Sponsored