• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing Into Headwind

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Towed our boat to a family gathering in central MN this past weekend. Previously tested this setup at 0.9 to 1.0 Mi/kWh, but facing pretty strong winds on Thursday, the mileage was crushed down to 0.7 mi/kWh for some stretches of the trip. Even when the wind was more of a side wind (WNW while driving due North) it seems like even a side wind prevents the trailer from drafting the truck as much.

Return direction of the trip we had lower winds and they were oriented partially in the tailwind direction and I got around 1.0 mi/kWh.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Into Headwind 1718018808690-gd
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yup.

With our Mach-E last Fall in Arizona, we dropped from a 2.7 average to 2.3, then 2.1, with a huge headwind.

CavRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Towed our boat to a family gathering in central MN this past weekend. Previously tested this setup at 0.9 to 1.0 Mi/kWh, but facing a pretty good headwind on Thursday, the mileage was crushed down to 0.7 mi/kWh for some stretches of the trip. Even when the wind was more of a side wind it seems like it prevents the trailer from drafting the truck as much.

1718018808690-gd.png
Ouch. I wonder if a tight cover over the top of the boat would help. The aero of your pontoon looks pretty "dirty".

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Ouch. I wonder if a tight cover over the top of the boat would help. The aero of your pontoon looks pretty "dirty".
Yes, I was wishing I had a better cover. We live on a lake, so mostly this boat is not taken on the road. I only have a lightweight "mooring" cover for the boat that is not suitable for prolonged highway trailering. I did test with it on but it inflated like a big parachute in the back portion and did not seem to help the mileage much. I left it off to prevent it from getting damaged.

I did try running with the front and rear gates of the pontoon both open and closed and it seemed slightly better with them both closed, actually.

Wjburgin

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2018 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Real Estate Development / Timberland Management
I have a similar boat and noticed that, even in my ICE truck, the "sail" that is the pontoon makes traveling at speed harder than when pulling my ski boat, albeit heavier.

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
What speeds were you traveling at?

I recently towed my boat lift on a trailer (which was basically an oversized ) up to the lake.
While traveling 60 to 65 mph, I was eating up charge like crazy.
Realizing I would never make it to the public charger at that rate, I slowed to 50 - 55 mph. While I made alternate plans in my mind. Then I noticed that at this new speed my charge was holding up better. Wouldn’t you know it, I was able to make the charger after all(Phew!).

Speed really matters when towing, especially something not too aerodynamic.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
What speeds were you traveling at?

Speed really matters when towing, especially something not too aerodynamic.
Was varied between 60 to 70 MPH depending on traffic.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Anyone who tows should read the sidewalls of the tires on the trailer. SOME are not rated for higher than 65mph.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Anyone who tows should read the sidewalls of the tires on the trailer. SOME are not rated for higher than 65mph.
Yep. Also, I probably should add a spare to the trailer if going to be doing more road trips.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
If you ever rode in a trailer (I know against law everywhere!), you won't go over 50 mph.
Sponsored