• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trailer Disconnect Alarm!

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended
Occupation
IT
Sunday morning I was out fishing having launched my boat at 4:30 AM. Couple hours later I get this alert:

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer Disconnect Alarm! IMG_0504

I ran back to the ramp, docked and headed up to the parking lot. The truck was all lit up flashing but no alarm. Could not find anything awry.

Has anybody else experienced this? I didn’t even even know it had this feature..
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I'm not familiar with how the alarm system works, I'm guessing the owner's manual has something to say about it. I won't let that stop me from speculating though.

If I had to guess I'd say if you unplug a trailer while the truck is locked the alarm will trigger. If that's true, maybe your trailer was unplugged while you were fishing and the perpetrator fled before you arrived. Or maybe the plug has a bad connection and it tripped the alarm. This seems unlikely though since the truck wasn't moving.

OP
OP
Nolander

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I'm not familiar with how the alarm system works, I'm guessing the owner's manual has something to say about it. I won't let that stop me from speculating though.

If I had to guess I'd say if you unplug a trailer while the truck is locked the alarm will trigger. If that's true, maybe your trailer was unplugged while you were fishing and the perpetrator fled before you arrived. Or maybe the plug has a bad connection and it tripped the alarm. This seems unlikely though since the truck wasn't moving.
It would have to be the latter as I checked the plug and all was good. Unless someone unplugged it and replugged...

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From NHTSA...

SSM 50226 - 2021 F-150 - False Alarm Activation With A Trailer Connected Some 2021 F-150 vehicles may experience a false alarm activation event with a trailer connected. A Security System Detected A Trailer Disconnect message may also display in the FordPass app. This may be due to various software parameters in the trailer module (TRM) and compatibility with certain trailer lights. Inform customers that Ford is developing a software update that is expected in February 2022. Let the customer know they can continue to drive the vehicle and schedule a followup appointment for repair in March 2022. For trailers that experience this false alarm event, advise customers to electrically disconnect the trailer when parked, then lock, unlock and lock the vehicle again, and reconnect the trailer. Once the update becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. APPLICABLE VEHICLES 2021 TRUCK: FD P702N F150

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nolander

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
From NHTSA...
Interesting. One would think my 23 LER would have the update. I should have stated that I have been trailering the boat all summer with no issue. Who knows what caused it to have a tizzy now.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. One would think my 23 LER would have the update. I should have stated that I have been trailering the boat all summer with no issue. Who knows what caused it to have a tizzy now.
I'm not certain there is an update.

OP
OP
Nolander

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer Disconnect Alarm! 1722275850666-

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
OP
OP
Nolander

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
BTW I searched the manual to no avail. No mention of this function.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
BTW I searched the manual to no avail. No mention of this function.
Page 365 talks about a connection alarm for trailers. Not sure if that is what you experienced.

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer Disconnect Alarm! Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 10.21.51 AM
Sponsored