• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Ive recently upgraded my audio and figured I might as well take a few pics and make a post about it. Maybe this will help others on the fence about it.
For this project, I replaced the front and rear door speakers, Added a sub behind the rear seat, installed a line output converter (LOC), and installed sound-dampening materials on the doors. It sounds night and day and I'm very happy with the results. the small HS10 sub is more than enough to fill that gap that was missing on the low end.

I started by replacing the door speakers and adding the sound-dampening materials. Removing the door panels was easy enough, I could not get the door handles out to completely remove them though, so I just let the pannels hang from the top of the door or a strap while i worked. Replacing the speakers was straightforward, 3 screws and a plug. The SG Audio block-off plates were a little tricky by myself, but totally doable. I installed them over the top of my vapor barrier. I then cut and placed deadening matt everywhere that was fairly open and out of the way for the panel to be reinstalled.

I installed Powerbass OE69C-FD in the front and OE652-FD in the rear

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_101825
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_112020

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_123141
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_131316

For the sub, I went with a Kicker 46HS10. I like its compact, all-in-one design, and it fits nicely behind the rear seat. I installed a T harness and LOC I found from another post here and everything was plug and play. very easy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1245657855...=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

First, I ran the wires from behind the back seat to the rear driver-side door jam. I ran the power wire that came with the amp, a separate remote wire (22aug), the L and R audio wires, and the bass nob cable. to make everything more tidy, I ran the the cables together inside a cable sleeve. (You can get these for cheap and they really make the job look much nicer) Once I got to the rear door jam, I pulled out my left and right audio signal wires from the amp. this is where i will splice in the RCA wires from the LOC.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_145943
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_153138

Once I had the RCA cables spliced, I installed the cable sleeve and ran the wires up to the front door jam.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_153241

At this point, I separated out the power wire and ran it through the firewall via the existing penetration. I cut the ziptie on the boot on the inside of the cab (remember to replace this) and could slip a fish-rod into the boot. I was not able to reach the boot from the exterior though and ended up cutting a small hole from the inside and forcing the fish-rod through.
Here is a picture from the cab
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_155917

Here is a pic from the exterior. I did have to remove the panel on the right side of the frunk. It might be a little hard to tell what you're looking at here, but the fish-rod is the long straight rod that starts out of focus close and runs through the boot in the center of the picture.
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_155948

I pulled this the rest of the way through with the power wire attached, ran it over and installed it to the battery.
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_165352

At this point, I installed the T-harness and LOC. This was much easier than I had anticipated. I first removed the glove box. Just open and push the tabs on the side in, and it pulls right out. I then removed the panel on the top of the head unit. This was fairly easy, remove the rubber mat, remove 2 screws, and use a pannel clip tool to pop it up. Once I had access, I removed the leftmost plug (black, not grey) on the top of the unit and installed the T-harness.
I then used the fish-rod to get the LOC cable pigtail down to the glovebox area.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240624_080256

There is a fairly open path so you could probably just push the end of the cable down. I then ran the RCA cables and remote wire from the driver side to the passenger side. I ran them behind the floor carpet, over to the center console and fished them through to the other side.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_171242

Now I connected everything to the LOC and managed wiring to nicely fit behind the glovebox. For the LOC i just nested it right in front of the in cabin filter. it isn't securely mounted and can be easily moved to replace the filter.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240624_080401

At this point I installed the ground for the amp. I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but it was very easy. there was a chassis ground just to the right of the bracket for the seat. I just ran a short wire up to this.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_145949

As for the bass knob, I haven't decided where I want it yet, but for now it is just laying in the lower storage tray of the center console.

Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240622_145959 (1)

Edit:
So as @asianman35 and @BennyTheBeaver were so gracious to point out that I do in fact have tweeters, :headbang:
I thought everyone had factory tweeters, i have them in my Pro
Correct everyone does.
So
Ive installed them as well! The tweeters that came with the front speakers I purchased have in-line crossovers so they were also plug and play just like the door speakers. they even used the same mounting bracket as the factory tweeters. just poped the factory ones out and the new ones in.

Heres the factory vs new
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240624_111916
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240624_112805
Sponsored

Last edited:

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
very nice thread, I did basically the same stuff, same speakers, but no sound deadening. Same sub, but I didnt use a LOC since the T-Harness has speaker wire outputs and the sub took speaker wire inputs. I agree, it sounds great!

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
did you swap the tweeters for the powerbass ones? I did that also

OP
OP
DIEProphezeiung
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
very nice thread, I did basically the same stuff, same speakers, but no sound deadening. Same sub, but I didnt use a LOC since the T-Harness has speaker wire outputs and the sub took speaker wire inputs. I agree, it sounds great!
Great minds think alike eh? lol. Yea I wasn't sure if I needed the LOC or not, but decided to get it for the peace of mind. Did you mount the sub in any way? I just have it sitting behind the seat for now.

OP
OP
DIEProphezeiung
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
did you swap the tweeters for the powerbass ones? I did that also
I don't have factory tweeters, so I still have those sitting around. have thought about getting the A-pillars and installing them, but that's a project for another day.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Nice!

I did almost the exact same thing, just different brands. I went with Infinity for Speakers, Tweeters, and the 4 channel amp, and I put a JL 10" Powerwedge behind the rear seat. I also used the block off plates and Sound deading material, it sounds amazing.

This is before I trimmed the deadening material:
Ford F-150 Lightning Upgraded Audio Project (non B&O) 20240609_151645

OP
OP
DIEProphezeiung
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Nice!

I did almost the exact same thing, just different brands. I went with Infinity for Speakers, Tweeters, and the 4 channel amp, and I put a JL 10" Powerwedge behind the rear seat. I also used the block off plates and Sound deading material, it sounds amazing.

This is before I trimmed the deadening material:
20240609_151645.jpg
Verry nice! You did a much better job on your sound deadening than I did! I was slapping that stuff on trying to get out of the heat! lol

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Verry nice! You did a much better job on your sound deadening than I did! I was slapping that stuff on trying to get out of the heat! lol
I hear you, I got heat stroke the day I did it while trying to push myself to finish. The sound deadening is by far the longest and most tedious part of the build. I will say, with how quiet our vehicles are, it does make a difference.

Reactions: GDN

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
I don't have factory tweeters, so I still have those sitting around. have thought about getting the A-pillars and installing them, but that's a project for another day.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Correct everyone does.

The Tweeters took some creativity to install. The factory mounts aren't plug and play with aftermarket tweeters.

For those wondering, the factory tweeter and the front door speaker both recieve the same audio signal (it's split). The factory tweeter has a crossover built into it. What I did (since I had component front speakers), is wire the door speaker via factory wires (from the crossover). Then I ran speaker wire directly from the crossover to the new tweeters.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
As for the bass knob, I haven't decided where I want it yet, but for now it is just laying in the lower storage tray of the center console.
If you want a slick remote bass knob setup I recommend getting the JL RBC-1. I believe all bass remote knobs utilize the old school RJ11 phone line conenctors and are universal. The RBC-1 allows for stealth mounting, drill a hole in your trim and install it behind the trim so all you see is knob on top of the trim. I installed mine on the steering column between the end closest to the wheel and where a typical turn key ignition would be. It looks factory.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136RBC1/JL-Audio-RBC-1.html

OP
OP
DIEProphezeiung
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Correct everyone does.
Well sounds like I still have some work to do! lol. I thought only the B&O system had them. I see them now. thanks for the clarification!

If you want a slick remote bass knob setup I recommend getting the JL RBC-1. I believe all bass remote knobs utilize the old school RJ11 phone line conenctors and are universal. The RBC-1 allows for stealth mounting, drill a hole in your trim and install it behind the trim so all you see is knob on top of the trim. I installed mine on the steering column between the end closest to the wheel and where a typical turn key ignition would be. It looks factory.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136RBC1/JL-Audio-RBC-1.html
Nice. I'll definitely check this out.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Well sounds like I still have some work to do! lol. I thought only the B&O system had them. I see them now. thanks for the clarification!
If you didn't get component speakers for the front door speakers you will need crossovers of some type (or bass blockers) because, if you wire the tweeters to the factory wire, they will get the same full range audio as the door speakers (that's why I made the above point to call out that the factory tweeters have crossovers built in).

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
If you didn't get component speakers for the front door speakers you will need crossovers of some type (or bass blockers) because, if you wire the tweeters to the factory wire, they will get the same full range audio as the door speakers (that's why I made the above point to call out that the factory tweeters have crossovers built in).
I believe the powerbass stuff is meant to be totally plug and play, i just plugged everything in and went on my way, even the tweeters.

OP
OP
DIEProphezeiung
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Nice looking out. I just checked and the speakers I bought have in-line crossovers so should be good on that front.
Sponsored