• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Weekend Thanksgiving Trip

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Made a trip this weekend from Southern NH to Mid-Coast Maine for a cousins only Thanksgiving get together of about 30. Everybody who saw the Lightning in the driveway when they arrived were intrigued by it and all had a bunch of questions as soon as they walked through the door. All the same questions I’m sure you’ve all heard before including the predictable “but how long will the battery last and how much will it cost to replace it?“ In the end no matter how much they were in awe of truck and how they were generally interested every single person would say in the end something like “they just like gas” and that they would never buy an EV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Charged to 100% SOC immediately before we left on Friday and before leaving to come home today at 52% SOC I calculated that I would need to stop for about a 10 minute DCFC. A Chargepoint at the rest stop in Kennebunk looked like the best choice as it would be a quick off and on but my wife proclaimed that she “did not want to sit in a rest stop for 10 minutes” so the other option was at an EA at the WalMart in Scarborough. I dropped my wife off at the HomeGoods at the other side of the parking lot and the kids and I headed over to the EA chargers. Two of the four stalls were down and the other two stalls would only deliver 36 kW. So the charge ended up being closer to a half hour, just enough time for my wife to spend $100.

Back on the road $100 poorer and as my wife in kids napped I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing drive home with BlueCruise at 74 MPH and we arrived back home at 9% SOC and 1.9 kWh/mi.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If my wife said she didn't want to sit at a rest stop for 10 minutes, she would be walking home...

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
So the charge ended up being closer to a half hour, just enough time for my wife to spend $100.

Back on the road $100 poorer and as my wife in kids napped I enjoyed a quiet and relaxing drive home with BlueCruise at 74 MPH and we arrived back home at 9% SOC and 1.9 kWh/mi.
Honest review that ICE propulsion can be more affordable (at times) for sure! When I told my wife the latest EA charger in Wisconsin to open was in a target parking lot her eyes gleamed with joy!

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Honest review that ICE propulsion can be more affordable (at times) for sure! When I told my wife the latest EA charger in Wisconsin to open was in a target parking lot her eyes gleamed with joy!
I just witnessed a fistfight at a target EA charger…man people are crazy

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
For sure. No chance in hell in taking the ev over the ice on a holiday weekend trip anytime soon

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Yes they are. When these pickups start pulling into Tesla chargers, I predict many more posts worded similar to above. It ain't going to be pretty. Folks are already unplugging other buggies.

Aaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford lightning
Occupation
Construction Engineer
I agree that once we can plug into Tesla chargers, I will plan to take trips in my lightning but until then kinda staying local

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Made a trip this weekend from Southern NH to Mid-Coast Maine for a cousins only Thanksgiving get together of about 30. Everybody who saw the Lightning in the driveway when they arrived were intrigued by it and all had a bunch of questions as soon as they walked through the door. All the same questions I’m sure you’ve all heard before including the predictable “but how long will the battery last and how much will it cost to replace it?“ In the end no matter how much they were in awe of truck and how they were generally interested every single person would say in the end something like “they just like gas” and that they would never buy an EV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Charged to 100% SOC immediately before we left on Friday and before leaving to come home today at 52% SOC I calculated that I would need to stop for about a 10 minute DCFC. A Chargepoint at the rest stop in Kennebunk looked like the best choice as it would be a quick off and on but my wife proclaimed that she “did not want to sit in a rest stop for 10 minutes” so the other option was at an EA at the WalMart in Scarborough. I dropped my wife off at the HomeGoods at the other side of the parking lot and the kids and I headed over to the EA chargers. Two of the four stalls were down and the other two stalls would only deliver 36 kW. So the charge ended up being closer to a half hour, just enough time for my wife to spend $100.

Having travelled thru Pennsylvania, chargers are spotty. Some areas have none.
The ones you do find, may or may not work.

Think of your trip like a skipping stone. Stop early, and stop often. Skip across PA but stop and charge even if you don't "need" to.

Sorry, that is the state of CCS chargers in Central PA. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving !

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER

Hopefully you mean 1.9 mi/kWh!
(1.9 kWh/mi would be pretty bad...)

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
If my wife said she didn't want to sit at a rest stop for 10 minutes, she would be walking home...
My wife grew up road-tripping with her family, so a 10 minute break at a rest stop is nothing. :) She just sees it as an opportunity to stretch and read a book! :D
Sponsored