Where do you get your EV news?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
We've seen several posts that share content from YouTubers who are not reputable sources about the F150L (or anything else EV). I've been following the consumer side of the EV market closely and have identified a few that I trust to provide accurate, relatively unbiased information. I'm interested in hearing about anyone you'd add or subtract from this list.

Tom Moloughney (Mostly EVs, does 70mph battery range tests and 0-100% charge videos. Also reviews chargers)
Out of Spec (Mostly EVs, does decent EV handling and performance reviews and EV road trip videos. Also does 70mph battery range tests and 0-100% charge videos)
InsideEVs (Only if the content comes from the podcast or from Tom Moloughney or Kyle Conner. The YouTube channel is much better quality than the website)
Alex on Autos (Not EV specialized, but provides relatively objective reviews)
Bjorn Nyland (Based in Norway, does 1000 km range tests and charging curve tests. Reviews some interesting EU and Chinese EVs not available in USA. Will probably not review the F150L but would be interesting if he did.)
Doug Demuro [Don't like his driving impressions or commentary, but he does surface details (quirks and features) that other reviewers don't]
Asian Petrolhead(Korea-based, is usually the first to have English content about new Hyundai Auto Group EVs)

I'm really not a fan of Marques Brownlee's EV reviews because he seems Tesla-centric. Straight Pipes, Savage Geese and Throttle House favor ICE vehicles. TFL is hit or miss, but I enjoy their "tow challenge" videos. The legacy car magazines/web sites really haven't figured out how to review EVs yet, so I generally avoid them.

Really looking forward to seeing Tom Moloughney or Kyle Conner do a 70 mph range test and 0-100% charging test on the F150L. Also looking forward to a TFL tow challenge.
Sponsored

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
A majority of my EV news is from YouTube. InsideEV's podcast is usually good, although some weeks it feels like they spend way too much time on just two or three main topics. It'd be nice if they had a segment at the start that did a quick rundown of notable news without commentary, then get into the deeper discussions and what they've driven.

Out of Spec is another that I watch all the time as well.

I agree with you on Alex on Autos, surprisingly objective compared to anyone else I've watched. Consistent format and very straightforward.

I've slowly been watching Doug Demuro for the same reason as you, he does an excellent job of covering some little odds-and-ends about a vehicle. Still a bit irked by his speaking style but I power through it.

As far as websites go, most are clickbaity with little content, the rest are outright shills for one company. I never click through to Electrek or Teslarati from anywhere.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I'll echo the others on here...

Alex on autos does a really good job but is not EV centric. Love his reviews..he is probably the best overall reviewer, seems really objective and level headed.

Inside EVs is also good-- Tom does really good range tests, however Kyle can be a bit much at times.

For Kia/Hyundai news Asian Petrolhead is good to see stuff in Korea usually before they are released in the US.

I also watch Redline reviews. The guy on there (Sofren?) does a decent job, a bit more focused on performance vs practical. He reviews a lot of the same vehicles as Alex, so you can watch both for confirmation or to get a 2nd opinion.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
A majority of my EV news is from YouTube. InsideEV's podcast is usually good, although some weeks it feels like they spend way too much time on just two or three main topics. It'd be nice if they had a segment at the start that did a quick rundown of notable news without commentary, then get into the deeper discussions and what they've driven.

Out of Spec is another that I watch all the time as well.

I agree with you on Alex on Autos, surprisingly objective compared to anyone else I've watched. Consistent format and very straightforward.

I've slowly been watching Doug Demuro for the same reason as you, he does an excellent job of covering some little odds-and-ends about a vehicle. Still a bit irked by his speaking style but I power through it.

As far as websites go, most are clickbaity with little content, the rest are outright shills for one company. I never click through to Electrek or Teslarati from anywhere.
I rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard or dentist drill than have to hear Doug's Demuro's commentary....

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I read, and comment on, Electrek just about daily. Always a fun and spirited discussion. Tesla crazy fanboys, and crazy Tesla haters notwithstanding. I’ve learned too much on there to not keep checking back in.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I start with InsideEVs. Then r/reddit/EV's which has discussion sections for all the different EV's. Then specific car forums such as this one for F150 EV.

Inside EV's has OutofSpec Motoring and the tests by Tom Moloughney and Kyle Conner are the most reliable and thorough.

I also like AlexonAutos for his test to empty real world range tests.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I start with InsideEVs. Then r/reddit/EV's which has discussion sections for all the different EV's. Then specific car forums such as this one for F150 EV.

Inside EV's has OutofSpec Motoring and the tests by Tom Moloughney and Kyle Conner are the most reliable and thorough.

I also like AlexonAutos for his test to empty real world range tests.
And Alex discloses any potential conflicts of interest. I believe he mentioned that he was planning to order a Pro.
Sponsored