Why switch adapters now?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The Cybertruck has the ability to back up the house using V2H like the Lightning, using a new version of the Tesla home charger. At least that is what Tesla claims, I don't know if it is one of those features that will be coming any day now unless the people who were in charge of it got laid off.

Anything "coming soon" from Tesla is possibly now rescheduled to "coming never." I have been through layoffs and they are not conducive to getting work done, you discover just how much work even the slackers do when it now becomes your additional responsibility.
We’re in the land of speculation here but it’s important to note that simply backing up and powering a house is only part of the equation. How it powers the house also matters. Even between our pro power onboard and HIS both can backup a house, but does so in very different ways.

Powerwalls are also a good example, the last version I looked at the powerwalls are capable of backing up a house and even time shifting. They are also capable of working with the solar system to charge the powerwalls when the grid is active.

However, if the grid is down it can only consume from the powerwall and not blend usage from solar and top off the powerwall with excess.

That was a dealbreaker for me as my SMA can run in hybrid mode and I can dynamically adjust for power supply and storage in real time. The allowed me to go with a fraction of the storage capacity.

In the end it’s all feasible. How much does it cost. Will it be available. And for us who already have CCS/HIS, will it still be compatible or am I sitting on $10,000 worth of bricks when it switches over to NACS.

In the immediate future a simple CCs/NACS adapter is not going to solve that, the move to a native NACS will make existing HIS implementations obsolete to those vehicles.
Sponsored

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 LIghtning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
**Someone check my memory…

The HIS pulls from the DC pins direclt from the battery <snip>
I don't think this is correct. The fact that HIS is limited to 9.6kW - the exact same limit as the on-board inverter - suggests that the HIS uses the on-board inverter, and so, is always connected to the vehicle AC (never needs to connect to the DC).

A future, bigger, HIS[2] system *could* connect to the DC and, using an off-board inverter, provide over 250kW. None-the-less, even that would not be an issue with NACs since this system is on the wall, and so, has access to both the home AC and the vehicle DC (via NACS) simultaneously without having to switch the NACS connection.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don't think this is correct. The fact that HIS is limited to 9.6kW - the exact same limit as the on-board inverter - suggests that the HIS uses the on-board inverter, and so, is always connected to the vehicle AC (never needs to connect to the DC).

A future, bigger, HIS[2] system *could* connect to the DC and, using an off-board inverter, provide over 250kW. None-the-less, even that would not be an issue with NACs since this system is on the wall, and so, has access to both the home AC and the vehicle DC (via NACS) simultaneously without having to switch the NACS connection.
Ford F-150 Lightning Why switch adapters now? IMG_5454

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
Here is a map of supercharger locations in the US:

Ford F-150 Lightning Why switch adapters now? Tesla supercharger locations ma

I would like access to those stations, and in addition, I'd like to access to every other charging network.

Tesla was expanding this North American network faster than any other network:

Ford F-150 Lightning Why switch adapters now? Quarterly installations Tesla chargers vrs the rest

Even if there are no new installations, as long as the reliability of this existing network is as high or higher than CCS it will be useful. Supposedly, (I have yet to use a Tesla charger) they have a ways to go before the reliability degrades to that CCS networks.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Powerwalls are also a good example, the last version I looked at the powerwalls are capable of backing up a house and even time shifting. They are also capable of working with the solar system to charge the powerwalls when the grid is active.

However, if the grid is down it can only consume from the powerwall and not blend usage from solar and top off the powerwall with excess.
It is my understanding that the powerwall 3 Is also a hybrid and can do bidirectional charging(Not sure if they have updated the software to allow it for the cyber truck I have called Tesla, but you always get somebody that doesn’t know anything), also has the ability to shut down from the grid and run on solar and battery only. I am about to install solar and powerwall 3 and hope that I will be able to do bidirectional with my F150 lightning at some point in the future.🤞🏼

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I would guess one factor in the layoffs is the system is pretty well established so Elon can rake in more cash with less expense. I would suppose that any new battery technology would sort of "reopen" the need to review and perhaps change some of the charging process. Once the gas pump designers got to a certain point, there wasn't much to really change, it was more of sustaining and incremental improvement vs development.
Sponsored