• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter tires and wheels

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Winter tires most useful point is braking. Where weight works against you and AWD matters nothing.
Absolutely! All season tires are made of rubber that becomes hard like a hockey puck below 7C (about 45F). Hockey pucks are designed to go a long way with little force due to low friction - you don't want the same for a vehicle.

At freezing on clear dry pavement, a vehicle with winter tires stops faster than one with all seasons.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
well that’s dangerous, your opinion is suggesting winter tires only are useful for acceleration vs deceleration…. Winter tires most useful point is braking. Where weight works against you and AWD matters nothing.
My comment didn't address braking because poor braking performance can be mitigated by driving slower and braking sooner. Of course, this only applies to relatively flat ground, which describes most places in Michigan where humans live.

Do winter tires perform better than all-seasons in colder weather? Absolutely. Do they perform well enough to justice the cost? Depends on your circumstance. That's all I was trying to say.

SilverKlister

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro
While on the topic of 18’s, anyone know if these would be fine on the ER Lightning? These are OEM F-150 take offs for 2022 https://a.co/d/fLCG5J9
I'm running those wheels with Nokian Hakka LT3's on my SR w/max tow. I've only had one winter on them, but zero issues. I picked up my set from ebay, something like $600/ set of four. I know there's a lot of talk about getting a wheel spec'ed for the weight but I'm not worried because I don't haul/tow in the winter. If you search ebay for ML3Z1007BA, you'll see a lot of hits.
Sponsored