Sponsored

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
Do you by chance have any examples of this type of document? Reading some of these horror stories with markups is giving me pause on ordering the Lightning at all. I really want a Pro model to save money and then get something nicer in 3-5 years when they have dedicated EV platforms (and hopefully lower battery prices), but it doesn't make sense to pay a huge markup on that model
What document are you referring to?
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Do you by chance have any examples of this type of document? Reading some of these horror stories with markups is giving me pause on ordering the Lightning at all. I really want a Pro model to save money and then get something nicer in 3-5 years when they have dedicated EV platforms (and hopefully lower battery prices), but it doesn't make sense to pay a huge markup on that model
Here’s what I did: emailed the sales manager at my local Ford place (Cannon Ford in Starkville), told him about my pre-order, and asked if they would stick to MSRP. He replied that they wouldn’t go over MSRP by one penny. Sounded good to me!

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Here’s what I did: emailed the sales manager at my local Ford place (Cannon Ford in Starkville), told him about my pre-order, and asked if they would stick to MSRP. He replied that they wouldn’t go over MSRP by one penny. Sounded good to me!
But is something like this legally binding? Reading the Jalopnik story with the Bronco it sounds like people got email confirmation and a big markup when their vehicle came in

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
What document are you referring to?
Sorry, when you talked about signed documentation, I just wanted to see if anything you had seen at your dealership had certain language, etc. To make it something the dealer has to stick with

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sorry, when you talked about signed documentation, I just wanted to see if anything you had seen at your dealership had certain language, etc. To make it something the dealer has to stick with
I know when we ordered our Mach-e (ordered at the dealer), we signed the order sheet with the cost and options. Not sure how that works if you order online.

I am using the Mach-e to feel out the dealer for the Lightning. So far so good.

Sponsored

BottledLightning

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crown Vic, Explorer
Ah, that is up to each dealership. What we do at ours is print out the Order Summary from WBDO which has the MSRP listed on it. We then have the customer sign and date it and we consider that our agreement to price. Not super legally binding I know, but we stick to it. If a discount is agreed upon, we cross out the MSRP and write the new price with our initials next to it.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Ah, that is up to each dealership. What we do at ours is print out the Order Summary from WBDO which has the MSRP listed on it. We then have the customer sign and date it and we consider that our agreement to price. Not super legally binding I know, but we stick to it. If a discount is agreed upon, we cross out the MSRP and write the new price with our initials next to it.
Is this done BEFORE the dealer puts the order in?

Basically, at what point am I locked to a particular dealer? If I do the order online and come in and they show me an order summary with a markup, is it already too late?

Another question: What's your understanding of how much advantage one might get time-wise by using a high volume dealer? My current dealer is the largest volume Ford dealer in the world (according to them). If I switch now, what affect could have on when I could take delivery? It was my understanding that dealers get Bronco/Mach E allocations based partially on how many reservations they got. My current dealer charges a $1295 dealer fee on ALL of their vehicles, so that's effectively a markup, and I haven't gotten firm confirmation of no additional markup, yet.

I wish it were a lot more cut and dried how the system works... and that bad dealers weren't screwing this up for everyone (including good dealers).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
I know when we ordered our Mach-e (ordered at the dealer), we signed the order sheet with the cost and options. Not sure how that works if you order online.
When you order online there is a line saying what the dealer's selling price is and also difference from MSRP. You want to make sure that number is zero.

Jaybird2022

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru wrx
Occupation
Military
My dealer is a pretty large one and have been good about staying in touch. They said they were told orders will start October 26th. I am in all likelihood (based on numbers here and elsewhere) in the top 5k-6k order numbers. Here's hoping :)
Any idea or chance in them doing more than 15k trucks in 2022? Shared info is confusing cuz now they’re talking about hiring more employees to push more out. Idk.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
When you order online there is a line saying what the dealer's selling price is and also difference from MSRP. You want to make sure that number is zero.
Oh, so that would be binding at order time? How do people get surprised by big markups at the end?

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Any idea or chance in them doing more than 15k trucks in 2022? Shared info is confusing cuz now they’re talking about hiring more employees to push more out. Idk.
Technically, Ford never said 15k for 2022 directly. That was an article with an unnamed source.

Another wrench: Does 15k for 2022 mean:

-15k in calendar year 2022?
OR
-15k in MODEL year 2022, so basically Spring through Fall they make 15k and then they start making "2023s" in later 2022, so there may actually be substantially more than 15k Lightnings made in the calendar year 2022 and even more by the actual one-year-from-production-start point in Spring 2023?

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I had the same concern. I decided to move my reservation to Granger since they are well known on this forum not to play games. It is a hassle to make the trip, but I didn't want to worry about any surprises. (I contacted about a dozen forum members for their experience. Every one of them raved about the experience.)

I was pretty set on the Lariat Premium, but this week I think I have decided to go with the Pro for the same reasons you mentioned. I really want the ER battery, but I think I will just upgrade after 3 - 5 years with the Pro.
I’m going with the same dealership and I live in Hawaii, which makes me feel kinda foolish; however, even with the cost of shipping and the logistics involved with that, I’m still coming out ahead with what local dealerships are quoting me with the markup.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I’m going with the same dealership and I live in Hawaii, which makes me feel kinda foolish; however, even with the cost of shipping and the logistics involved with that, I’m still coming out ahead with what local dealerships are quoting me with the markup.
The "Master List" of dealers on Bronco6G says Honolulu Ford doesn't have markup on the Bronco.

You may have already asked them, but I just happened to be looking at that list yesterday and noticed that every state on the list had at least one dealer noted as "No Markup". The list could be wrong, of course, but thought I'd mention it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Technically, Ford never said 15k for 2022 directly. That was an article with an unnamed source.

Another wrench: Does 15k for 2022 mean:

-15k in calendar year 2022?
OR
-15k in MODEL year 2022, so basically Spring through Fall they make 15k and then they start making "2023s" in later 2022, so there may actually be substantially more than 15k Lightnings made in the calendar year 2022 and even more by the actual one-year-from-production-start point in Spring 2023?
Plus Darren Palmer said in a recent interview that the 15k number was wrong.
Sponsored