• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Issues with Charge Station Pro

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (coming soon)
Has anyone had issue with their Charge Station Pro? Mine was installed last week and worked while the tech was on site. The next day I set up the preferred charging times to get the "Super-off Peak" tier. Shortly after plugging into the truck to charge the unit started pulsing red, which the manual describes as experiencing a ground fault.

I contacted the service tech and he had me shut off the breaker, plug it into the truck, then turn the breaker on. This worked to charge for a while on Sunday. After a few hours of charging, before reaching my target 80%, the red pulsing started again. In the morning I reset the breaker again to get the blue light. The next time I charged it almost immediately went back to the red pulsing and I haven't done anything with it.

I've contacted the contractor and he reviewed his pictures but didn't see anything. He hasn't been back on site yet though. A bit frustrating not being able to charge at home.
Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Has anyone had issue with their Charge Station Pro? Mine was installed last week and worked while the tech was on site. The next day I set up the preferred charging times to get the "Super-off Peak" tier. Shortly after plugging into the truck to charge the unit started pulsing red, which the manual describes as experiencing a ground fault.

I contacted the service tech and he had me shut off the breaker, plug it into the truck, then turn the breaker on. This worked to charge for a while on Sunday. After a few hours of charging, before reaching my target 80%, the red pulsing started again. In the morning I reset the breaker again to get the blue light. The next time I charged it almost immediately went back to the red pulsing and I haven't done anything with it.

I've contacted the contractor and he reviewed his pictures but didn't see anything. He hasn't been back on site yet though. A bit frustrating not being able to charge at home.
Do you have three wires connected at charger or four? If you ran a neutral it is not connected at charger, correct?

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you have three wires connected at charger or four? If you ran a neutral it is not connected at charger, correct?
I didn't do the install myself so am not sure. I do have a picture of the wiring from inside the Charger, but not from inside the panel.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just talked to the installer. He said he was on hold with Ford for a couple hours but they finally told him it was a problem they've been seeing on the EV side and not with the CSP. He instructed me to unplug the truck then switch off the breaker to the CSP for over 10 minutes. This will cause a "hard reset" and clear the error code. I'll do so and report back.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
As stated, the red pulsing light is a ground fault indicator. Unless your charge cable is damaged, it can either be a ground fault in the truck, or a fault in the ground fault detection in the CSP. Iā€™m skeptical it will be fixed by turning off the breaker and I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with your wiring.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As stated, the red pulsing light is a ground fault indicator. Unless your charge cable is damaged, it can either be a ground fault in the truck, or a fault in the ground fault detection in the CSP. Iā€™m skeptical it will be fixed by turning off the breaker and I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with your wiring.
Does that mean that the problem is with the truck itself? I haven't had any issues with any other chargers. I've used several Electrify America chargers and the included Ford Travel Charger without seeing any errors.

Followed the procedure to hard reset the CSP but received the red pulsing light again last night after a short charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does that mean that the problem is with the truck itself? I haven't had any issues with any other chargers. I've used several Electrify America chargers and the included Ford Travel Charger without seeing any errors.

Followed the procedure to hard reset the CSP but received the red pulsing light again last night after a short charge.
If your truck charges successfully with other level 2 EVSEs, the problem is most likely with the CSP.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I didn't do the install myself so am not sure. I do have a picture of the wiring from inside the Charger, but not from inside the panel.
Can you post the wiring picture inside the CSP? What gage and type wire (CU/Al) goes to the CSP?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you post the wiring picture inside the CSP? What gage and type wire (CU/Al) goes to the CSP?
It specs copper wire only. You would need #3 to operate at full rated capacity (80A charge rate).

This may help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Issues with Charge Station Pro IMG_20220802_161239

This was sent to me by the electrician contractor.

Looks correct as far as I can tell. I don't have a picture of the inside of the panel, which is literally on the other side of the wall. It feeds into 100A breakers that were installed specifically for it. I haven't tried it yet, but have been meaning to reduce the amperage to 60A and see if it still faults. The stupid password for the CSP app is ridiculous!

Last edited:

Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It specs copper wire only. You would need #3 to operate at full rated capacity (80A charge rate).
Yes, but some run a copper pigtail for last foot
IMG_20220802_161239.jpg

This was sent to me by the electrician contractor.

Looks correct as far as I can tell. I don't have a picture of the inside of the panel, which is literally on the other side of the wall. It feeds into 100A breakers that were installed specifically for it. I haven't tried it yet, but have been meaning to reduce the amperage to 60A and see if it still faults. The stupid password for the CSP app is ridiculous!
The wiring looks done correct. How far is it to panel from CSP? Capacitive effects can trigger ground faults for very long runs and overly sensitive GFI. Only thing I can think of would be make sure all contacts including ground on both ends have tight connection. Check voltage getting to the CSP on both legs is balanced. It should NOT make a difference but you could try switching L1 and L2 to see if behavior changes. First report I've seen of this particular issue.

OP
OP
KristovM

KristovM

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since nobody else has asked, by any chance is the 100A breaker in your panel a GFCI?
I don't see anything that specifically says so or not. Here is a picture.
Ford F-150 Lightning Issues with Charge Station Pro 20220803_133209

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Since nobody else has asked, by any chance is the 100A breaker in your panel a GFCI?
The last time I checked, no one made a 100A GFCI breaker for residential load centers. Iā€™ve only seen 3 phase and bolt-on in 100A size. Some one may be making them now given how rapidly the NEC is expanding requirements for their use.