First roadtrip! MA>DC>NH>MA ~1500mi

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’ll add more details we we go but I just started on an week long trip to visit family in the Lightning. Got off the line at 5:00 and stopped at Stratford, CT EA station. Chatted with a couple in Rivian that was super stoked to finally see a Lightning. The EA 350kw station display is incredibly laggy but it connected and has been pulling over 170kw since I plugged in (though mot sure if the display is accurate on the charge, Ford needs a charge rate monitor in the truck, for real). It’s gone from 39% to 71% in about 16 minutes so that’s over 160 for an average. Really excellent. I’m staying here until 80% and re-calculating my next charge stop.

Trip meter efficiency has been 1.8mpk with cruise pegged at 78, and i’ve been travelling at that speed for almost the entire 155 miles. Calculated efficiency based on miles and SOC has consistently been 1.9 mpk.
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I’ll add more details we we go but I just started on an week long trip to visit family in the Lightning. Got off the line at 5:00 and stopped at Stratford, CT EA station. Chatted with a couple in Rivian that was super stoked to finally see a Lightning. The EA 350kw station display is incredibly laggy but it connected and has been pulling over 170kw since I plugged in (though mot sure if the display is accurate on the charge, Ford needs a charge rate monitor in the truck, for real). It’s gone from 39% to 71% in about 16 minutes so that’s over 160 for an average. Really excellent. I’m staying here until 80% and re-calculating my next charge stop.

Trip meter efficiency has been 1.8mpk with cruise pegged at 78, and i’ve been travelling at that speed for almost the entire 155 miles. Calculated efficiency based on miles and SOC has consistently been 1.9 mpk.
drop that down to 72 or even 69 and watch that efficiency improve significantly.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Did you enable plug and charge? It actually works pretty well - perhaps a bit slower than initiating a supercharger session, but it requires no input on the screen or app. Literally just plug and charge. It's awesomely boring.

I agree with the need to see charging speed inside the truck (and app) but in the meantime you can monitor charging speed with an OBD2 dongle and CarScanner or Torque, though obviously that only works when you're next to the truck. Sure beats looking at the station's screen in extreme temperatures though.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Talking about efficiency and road tripping..
Am I the only one that noticed the miles per kWh on the dash screen is more pessimistic than the same reading on the center (15in) screen? Seems like they round up different.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The EA station puller great charge but the screen was lagging like 5 minutes behind the actual charge. It said 61% when the truck got to 80%. Plug and charge worked there although it didn’t work at the EA at Cherry Hill Target (here now). I had to tap my card. Lame.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Talking about efficiency and road tripping..
Am I the only one that noticed the miles per kWh on the dash screen is more pessimistic than the same reading on the center (15in) screen? Seems like they round up different.
Yup, noticed that too. Both are pessimistic compared to calculating using state of charge data and odometer readings. My trip meter said 1.7mpk for most of the first leg of the trip but calculating the mpk for each 10% of charge used showed 1.9mpk consistently from the beginning of the trip.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you enable plug and charge? It actually works pretty well - perhaps a bit slower than initiating a supercharger session, but it requires no input on the screen or app. Literally just plug and charge. It's awesomely boring.

I agree with the need to see charging speed inside the truck (and app) but in the meantime you can monitor charging speed with an OBD2 dongle and CarScanner or Torque, though obviously that only works when you're next to the truck. Sure beats looking at the station's screen in extreme temperatures though.
WTF is a “supercharger session?”

Up until about a year ago, FordPass showed the charge rate. IDK why it got removed???

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Tesla calls their DCFC stations "superchargers..."

Does the MachE Ford Pass app still show charge rates?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Tesla calls their DCFC stations "superchargers..."

Does the MachE Ford Pass app still show charge rates?
Oh, gotcha…..I didn’t realize we were talking about non-Lightning charging. Teslas’ interface is certainly the gold standard.

No, I can no longer see the charge rate in FP. It disappeared sometime last year.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Using the data from the vehicle i used 204kWh to travel 444 miles. 2.17mpk, not too bad. I had the cruise set to 78 for the first half and 80 for the second half. I mostly traveled at 78mph until i hit NYC, after that it was much more mixed but i did get along at 80 for a good portion. Minus the charge stops it was one of the fastest trips that I’ve made down here. I added a little extra buffer at each charge stop just for peace of mind. I could have definitely charged more efficiently but i still only had 53 minutes charging, i believe. I arrived with 31% SoC.

Blue cruise probably drove 90% of the miles. BC is a total game changer for traffic. I love it!

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
According to the FordPass charge logs;

EA 350kw: 39>80% 24 minutes (~135kw avg). Peak was 175kw.
EA 150kw: 32>78% 30 minutes (~120kw avg rate). Peak was 131kw.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Using the data from the vehicle i used 204kWh to travel 444 miles. 2.17mpk, not too bad. I had the cruise set to 78 for the first half and 80 for the second half. I mostly traveled at 78mph until i hit NYC, after that it was much more mixed but i did get along at 80 for a good portion. Minus the charge stops it was one of the fastest trips that I’ve made down here. I added a little extra buffer at each charge stop just for peace of mind. I could have definitely charged more efficiently but i still only had 53 minutes charging, i believe. I arrived with 31% SoC.

Blue cruise probably drove 90% of the miles. BC is a total game changer for traffic. I love it!
How was it on the cross Bronx?? I bet the independent rear suspension makes a huge difference on that stretch of broken asphalt.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
How was it on the cross Bronx?? I bet the independent rear suspension makes a huge difference on that stretch of broken asphalt.

No issues. It handled all the crappy roadways pretty well.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
drop that down to 72 or even 69 and watch that efficiency improve significantly.
For you physics minded people.... Rolling friction is linear with velocity where as the friction force (drag) of wind goes as the square of velocity, so it's all dominated by relative wind speed. If you can plan more of your trips to be going in same direction as wind (or at least not opposite the wind) like we do sailing you can get much better mileage ;).

May you have fair winds and following seas...

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Great physics lesson!
Great trip report OP, it's these TRs that help the rest of us know what to expect! (I'm my case, what to expect while I'm expecting my Lightning that is last due and calling for a C section). ;)
Sponsored