First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There are a few nagging things I still do not know about the lightning as I have not seen the answers posted definitively. I thought I'd put them all in the same thread as maybe others have these questions, or some of their own. If anyone has answers on these please chime in.

1) If you are running AC power outlet items in the Lightning, is there a way to prevent the inverter power from turning off. I hear there is some timer in settings but does this work if the car is off or does the AC outlets shut down when you turn off car. For example if you have a frig in frunk and going camping. Do people that have things like frigerators routinely leave the car running? What about screen burn-in or drawing the battery down. Any way around this if you can't keep AC power turned on?

2) Do cigarette lighter or USB work if the car is turned off?

3) Are there real (I've only seen estimates) dimensions published on the size of the FRUNK? For example what would be the maximum height box/frig one could put in the frunk?

4) What's the deal with the infrared that monitors drivers eyes during blue cruise being on all the time showing up on security cameras? Is that a bug or can it be turned off?

5) What are the useful things you can monitor from the ford pass app away from the truck? Can you pre-cool the car down with AC? Start it? check cameras? Does it have a theft alarm system or will it notify you if there is unauthorized entry? Are VIN numbers etched in the glass?

6) Who is the cell carrier, how long is this free with the car?

7) Are people able to register it as a private vehicle or is it a commercial truck in NY? At one point anything over a certain weight in NY that had no middle passenger seat in front was considered commercial. This may have changed recently. Important because many roads like Taconic Interstate Parkway do not allow commercial vehicles.

8) This is my first pickup. I heard something about Maria's law and see many trucks get pulled over by police with stuff in the back. Any best practices. Netting to the four Boxlink? I assume ratchet ties as well for bigger stuff. Any recommended products that are just superior for that?

9) Are products like BackRack.com recommended for carrying long product that don't fit well because they are too long for the bed? BackRack Original looked pretty simple and works with Tonneau x4S rollup covers and others. Anyone have experience with them or recommend another product that is compatible with tonneau rollups for the occasional long item (e.g ladder, long 2x4s, a kayak...). Basically need something above the cab to be able to lean long items vs leave bed door open.

I'm sure there are other questions that may have hidden answer out there so let this be the place for questions that keep you up thinking at night.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
There are a few nagging things I still do not know about the lightning as I have not seen the answers posted definitively. I thought I'd put them all in the same thread as maybe others have these questions, or some of their own. If anyone has answers on these please chime in.

1) If you are running AC power outlet items in the Lightning, is there a way to prevent the inverter power from turning off. I hear there is some timer in settings but does this work if the car is off or does the AC outlets shut down when you turn off car. For example if you have a frig in frunk and going camping. Do people that have things like frigerators routinely leave the car running? What about screen burn-in or drawing the battery down. Any way around this if you can't keep AC power turned on?

2) Do cigarette lighter or USB work if the car is turned off?

3) Are there real (I've only seen estimates) dimensions published on the size of the FRUNK? For example what would be the maximum height box/frig one could put in the frunk?

4) What's the deal with the infrared that monitors drivers eyes during blue cruise being on all the time showing up on security cameras? Is that a bug or can it be turned off?

5) What are the useful things you can monitor from the ford pass app away from the truck? Can you pre-cool the car down with AC? Start it? check cameras? Does it have a theft alarm system or will it notify you if there is unauthorized entry? Are VIN numbers etched in the glass?

6) Who is the cell carrier, how long is this free with the car?

7) Are people able to register it as a private vehicle or is it a commercial truck in NY? At one point anything over a certain weight in NY that had no middle passenger seat in front was considered commercial. This may have changed recently. Important because many roads like Taconic Interstate Parkway do not allow commercial vehicles.

8) This is my first pickup. I heard something about Maria's law and see many trucks get pulled over by police with stuff in the back. Any best practices. Netting to the four Boxlink? I assume ratchet ties as well for bigger stuff. Any recommended products that are just superior for that?

9) Are products like BackRack.com recommended for carrying long product that don't fit well because they are too long for the bed? BackRack Original looked pretty simple and works with Tonneau x4S rollup covers and others. Anyone have experience with them or recommend another product that is compatible with tonneau rollups for the occasional long item (e.g ladder, long 2x4s, a kayak...). Basically need something above the cab to be able to lean long items vs leave bed door open.

I'm sure there are other questions that may have hidden answer out there so let this be the place for questions that keep you up thinking at night.
I can help with some answers.

1) as of now, the truck needs to stay in to keep the pro power onboard working. Power drain from the screens is less than minimal.

2) in the Mach-e these work in accessory mode or when the vehicle is on. Not when it is off

3) dunno

4) dunno

5) you can monitor state of charge and location. You can lock and unlock the truck. You can remote start the truck.

6) dunno

7) my dealer is telling me I can register it as a passenger vehicle and others in NY have done so.

8) just strap down anything big and throw a tarp over too if you are carrying loose items. I pretty much just use a tarp when taking a load to the dump. Ratchet straps over the top of the tarp and some bungee cords to hold the corners in.

9) I would worry about a product until you are sure you need it. Just leave the tailgate down and strap it in.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I was a bit confused about some of the power related things too when I first got my Mach-E, until I understood some of the reasoning behind them. Just keep in mind the big battery runs the wheels, the A/C and the outlets. Everything else runs on the small 12 volt battery, so when you run something that needs power, you'll keep the truck on.

I can also confirm that I live in NYC and I'm not using commercial plates.

As for the other questions about keeping stuff secure when you drive, I've had 3 pickups and as a rule of thumb it's not hard to keep things from flying out of the bed.

Even if you're a casual driver, you should definitely invest in a few different ways to secure things. I'm not a fan of bungee cords or nets for securing anything other than light packages.

The most common thing I use are ratchet tie-downs. They don't stretch, so they're MUCH stronger and the ratchet will let you make them super tight. I've tied down huge items and they don't budge an inch. I generally keep a set of 4 under the rear seat in zip-lock bags to keep them neat.

For some long items like 2x4s I keep the tailgate UP, so they're 90% in the bed, and just a bit is outside the bed, pointing up. For short (flat) trips they're not likely to fall out because of the angle and most of the weight is inside the bed, but I still like to put some pressure on them to keep them from shifting side to side.

Here's a link I found with some photos of what I'm talking about:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/pickup-trucks-how-to-transport-things/

I bought an official Ford Bed Extender for my first truck and I loved the ability to just flip it over when I needed to put large items there, and while it was inverted the other way, it kept things from sliding all the way to the back. I didn't get one for my next 2 trucks because I rarely needed to use it extended and my BedRug keeps most things from sliding around too much.

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Could someone measure their Frunk height? Trying to figure out the maximum height refrigerator. Does the frunk go higher then the gasket around the rim?

Are there any models of refrig people know definitely fit? Very little info shows up after searching including dimensions of frunk.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Just keep in mind the big battery runs the wheels, the A/C and the outlets. Everything else runs on the small 12 volt battery, so when you run something that needs power, you'll keep the truck on.
this is a confusing way to state this.

itā€™s true the big battery runs wheels, A/C and the outlets. Itā€™s also true the 12v runs the other auxiliary power items (dash, usb, etc.).

but those two things being true does not then further necessitate that ā€œwhen you run something that needs power, youā€™ll keep the truck on.ā€

What Iā€™m saying is, while it may be true you have to have the truck ā€œonā€ to run the outlets, I confused as to how that is explained by what you move written?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
this is a confusing way to state this.

itā€™s true the big battery runs wheels, A/C and the outlets. Itā€™s also true the 12v runs the other auxiliary power items (dash, usb, etc.).

but those two things being true does not then further necessitate that ā€œwhen you run something that needs power, youā€™ll keep the truck on.ā€

What Iā€™m saying is, while it may be true you have to have the truck ā€œonā€ to run the outlets, I confused as to how that is explained by what you move written?
I think what he means is that due to the smallish 12V battery and the fact that it doesnā€™t get charged in accessory mode, youā€˜re better of just leaving the truck on instead of using accessory mode when using 12V accessories. It will avoid the ā€œPowering down to save batteryā€ event when using accessory. Just my guessā€¦

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm not sure if they've changed things compared to the way things were done with my Mustang Mach-E, but I've parked my Mach-E while waiting for people who went shopping, then assumed I could simply use the air conditioner for example while in "Accessory Mode", and it didn't work.

So, my assumption is that A/C and things like Pro Power can't run on Accessory Mode, so you'll likely need to turn the whole truck on.

I could be wrong, but perhaps somebody here can clarify.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
At the moment, I know of no way to check the cameras. I also do not yet have PAAK capability so someone else would need to chime in on where/how that is reflected in the app interface.

as for other monitoring from the FordPass App, though:

The landing ā€œHomeā€ page of the app provides this:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning CE219667-2BFD-42B9-9168-2D2C3F1BEED8

In the above, while ā€œStart,ā€ and lock/unlock are self-explanatory, the ā€œHorn & Lightsā€ functions like a fobā€™s ā€œpanicā€ button. The first time it is used, you get this notification.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 9F925250-2412-4ABC-9D65-E43965F749FD

Moving from the Home Screen instead to the Vehicle screen, you arrive here (the black box is the address location of the vehicle):

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 25276534-BD3D-4C2E-B983-199264319F13

The ā€œVehicle Status no Alertsā€ button seen on the vehicle landing page above is where, to date, I see notices about available or completed OTA updates; but I suspect other info, like recalls, or who knows what else would also indicate here.

I donā€™t have ā€œDeparture Timesā€ set currently (I donā€™t have a regular enough schedule for it to make sense), but that ā€œbuttonā€ initially takes you to a setup page:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 8F1C435F-BD45-4964-9A63-3EE4935AD421

From there, the menu headers have a number of sub-sections

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 6B1A16FF-D5B8-42E4-8367-EF5C4E9FEC78

At present, in my app, ā€œStatusā€ contains only tire pressure monitor which sub-screen looks as follows:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning B5F190C2-AF11-4094-97A0-735FF6610F5B

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 5F375A34-D179-438F-BABE-C42EA10F742E

I wonā€™t go through all the above ā€œChargingā€ sub-screens, except to say that the ā€œCharge Settingsā€ sub-screen is probably most relevant to your question of what can be controlled from the app:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 24AE526D-0555-4275-8214-4C65C74C9457

Otherwise, under the ā€œChargingā€ sub-screens, the titles are mostly self-explanatory other than that the ā€œBackup Powerā€ takes you to a ā€œwelcome to intelligent backup powerā€ intro screen, irl event of course if you donā€™t have the HIS, ā€œBlue Ovalā€ shows available charge balances and can find/map network chargers, and the logs give per-charge or per-trip details of each charge or driving event.

Moving to the next sub screen, ā€œFeatures & Settingsā€ is where

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning F7A9CC0C-44D9-40EA-A6B2-411688355AE4

In particular, as for your Wi-Fi carrier question, hereā€™s at least the US-based answer:

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 590FF071-6D16-47CC-B3A5-93BA1B7D5E87
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 7821AE3B-9B9D-4281-B8A3-294505538703

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning DBE1E570-91EF-4234-B784-A95E8487A02C

As for the rest of ā€œFeatures & Settingsā€ here are screen grabs of the initial sub-pages which generally glimpse at capabilities (if relevant to the truck):

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 6010DE2A-F423-4785-82B2-7582958FF935
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 6010DE2A-F423-4785-82B2-7582958FF935
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 20C22467-198D-4DEF-B09E-8AB510F7EF6F
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 0D65A0B9-0E5D-421A-A61B-F9D7EE9E741D
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning D45F059B-570F-469C-963E-8CDECF7C2B31
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 0CFAC428-1648-4543-A180-9F46154AB95B
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning DA379C70-8F65-4F64-9BA3-25E384863A09

lastly, Iā€™m embarrassed to say Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m supposed to have smart hitch but donā€™t, or if instead thatā€™s part of the max tow package I did not get, or instead only part of newer vehicles? Iā€™ve not messed with it, so hereā€™s the screen I get for that
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 2B292FE7-2477-4B3B-8FE3-4A900DE2906B

Last, and to your alarm question is the ā€œSecurityā€ menu - which does appear to not just send alerts in the case of an alarm, but even just for the vehicle being opened whatsoever (with the ability to scale the times these alarms are sent, say to only nighttime, etc.) - I suppose I might set this up!

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 668CA8C5-CD0C-4139-AAAB-C31459FC68CF

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 58AE5D58-912B-4248-826A-92A5413F22E4
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning B32B7922-4491-4DD2-9726-C2DAB52520CF

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
While it ainā€™t cheap, I recommend Gladiator cargo nets

Youā€™d still want individual ratchet straps for securing certain items in other contexts, but for an all-bed cargo secure option, the Gladiator nets are pretty indestructible and have ratchets at the four corners to hook to the beds cleats or boxlinks (comes in a beefy bag with compartments for other items as well)

I might just check with them on the right size for your intended uses. While the online tool says the ā€œsmallā€ is for a 5ā€™5ā€ bed, the photo below I donā€™t think is a ā€œsmallā€ as being used to cover a fairly tall load?

Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 27340E0E-DA32-4A49-9129-7913A208F33E
Ford F-150 Lightning Unanswered questions I still have about the Lightning 29DAC469-A49C-4D10-9125-2940938EF2A3

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I think what he means is that due to the smallish 12V battery and the fact that it doesnā€™t get charged in accessory mode, youā€˜re better of just leaving the truck on instead of using accessory mode when using 12V accessories. It will avoid the ā€œPowering down to save batteryā€ event when using accessory. Just my guessā€¦
thatā€™s a sensible explanation of the comments and OPā€™s question #2 RE USB chargers, but the answer seemed confusing since OP was asking specifically about the AC outlets in question #1

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
At the moment, I know of no way to check the cameras. I also do not yet have PAAK capability so someone else would need to chime in on where/how that is reflected in the app interface.

as for other monitoring from the FordPass App, though:

The landing ā€œHomeā€ page of the app provides this:

CE219667-2BFD-42B9-9168-2D2C3F1BEED8.jpeg

In the above, while ā€œStart,ā€ and lock/unlock are self-explanatory, the ā€œHorn & Lightsā€ functions like a fobā€™s ā€œpanicā€ button. The first time it is used, you get this notification.

9F925250-2412-4ABC-9D65-E43965F749FD.png

Moving from the Home Screen instead to the Vehicle screen, you arrive here (the black box is the address location of the vehicle):

25276534-BD3D-4C2E-B983-199264319F13.jpeg

The ā€œVehicle Status no Alertsā€ button seen on the vehicle landing page above is where, to date, I see notices about available or completed OTA updates; but I suspect other info, like recalls, or who knows what else would also indicate here.

I donā€™t have ā€œDeparture Timesā€ set currently (I donā€™t have a regular enough schedule for it to make sense), but that ā€œbuttonā€ initially takes you to a setup page:

8F1C435F-BD45-4964-9A63-3EE4935AD421.jpeg

From there, the menu headers have a number of sub-sections

6B1A16FF-D5B8-42E4-8367-EF5C4E9FEC78.jpeg

At present, in my app, ā€œStatusā€ contains only tire pressure monitor which sub-screen looks as follows:

B5F190C2-AF11-4094-97A0-735FF6610F5B.png

5F375A34-D179-438F-BABE-C42EA10F742E.png

I wonā€™t go through all the above ā€œChargingā€ sub-screens, except to say that the ā€œCharge Settingsā€ sub-screen is probably most relevant to your question of what can be controlled from the app:

24AE526D-0555-4275-8214-4C65C74C9457.png

Otherwise, under the ā€œChargingā€ sub-screens, the titles are mostly self-explanatory other than that the ā€œBackup Powerā€ takes you to a ā€œwelcome to intelligent backup powerā€ intro screen, irl event of course if you donā€™t have the HIS, ā€œBlue Ovalā€ shows available charge balances and can find/map network chargers, and the logs give per-charge or per-trip details of each charge or driving event.

Moving to the next sub screen, ā€œFeatures & Settingsā€ is where

F7A9CC0C-44D9-40EA-A6B2-411688355AE4.png

In particular, as for your Wi-Fi carrier question, hereā€™s at least the US-based answer:

590FF071-6D16-47CC-B3A5-93BA1B7D5E87.png
7821AE3B-9B9D-4281-B8A3-294505538703.png

DBE1E570-91EF-4234-B784-A95E8487A02C.png

As for the rest of ā€œFeatures & Settingsā€ here are screen grabs of the initial sub-pages which generally glimpse at capabilities (if relevant to the truck):

6010DE2A-F423-4785-82B2-7582958FF935.png
6010DE2A-F423-4785-82B2-7582958FF935.png
20C22467-198D-4DEF-B09E-8AB510F7EF6F.png
0D65A0B9-0E5D-421A-A61B-F9D7EE9E741D.png
D45F059B-570F-469C-963E-8CDECF7C2B31.png
0CFAC428-1648-4543-A180-9F46154AB95B.png
DA379C70-8F65-4F64-9BA3-25E384863A09.png

lastly, Iā€™m embarrassed to say Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m supposed to have smart hitch but donā€™t, or if instead thatā€™s part of the max tow package I did not get, or instead only part of newer vehicles? Iā€™ve not messed with it, so hereā€™s the screen I get for that
2B292FE7-2477-4B3B-8FE3-4A900DE2906B.png

Last, and to your alarm question is the ā€œSecurityā€ menu - which does appear to not just send alerts in the case of an alarm, but even just for the vehicle being opened whatsoever (with the ability to scale the times these alarms are sent, say to only nighttime, etc.) - I suppose I might set this up!

668CA8C5-CD0C-4139-AAAB-C31459FC68CF.png

58AE5D58-912B-4248-826A-92A5413F22E4.png
B32B7922-4491-4DD2-9726-C2DAB52520CF.png
Thank you for walking us through the ford pass, very informative!

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
thatā€™s a sensible explanation of the comments and OPā€™s question #2 RE USB chargers, but the answer seemed confusing since OP was asking specifically about the AC outlets in question #1
I read somewhere that the 12v accessories are not fed by the small 12 battery but by a dc to dc converter from the 400v battery. Or does that feed their 12v as well so if car is off you are running off small battery?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I read somewhere that the 12v accessories are not fed by the small 12 battery but by a dc to dc converter from the 400v battery. Or does that feed their 12v as well so if car is off you are running off small battery?
I really donā€™t know what is the case - Iwas only making a distinction/clarification that the 12v battery is not what is running the ProPower inboard AC outlets!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Unless the car is on, the HVB contacts are open, so you are running off the small 12V battery. The only reason this would change is if the truck detects that the 12V battery is low, then it will charge it back up.
Sponsored