• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charger reports 9.6 kW but Lightning reports 8 kW. Why?

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Is it worth even day dreaming that Ford will improve this? *sigh*
Why? What difference does it make?
so many variabilities go into delivering energy from your panel to the Evse to truck. Then take into account atmospheric, tire type, tire pressure, driving conditions, to driving style.

don’t see where .01% to 3% would have any real impact on daily living.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The FP charging session data screen is woefully slow to update, I don't think the Ford cloud can handle the throughput requirements, their data scientists need to talk to Nasa or Tesla......

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Why? What difference does it make?
so many variabilities go into delivering energy from your panel to the Evse to truck. Then take into account atmospheric, tire type, tire pressure, driving conditions, to driving style.

don’t see where .01% to 3% would have any real impact on daily living.
It's a quality of life thing. I'd like to know, accurately, how much energy is being pumped into the truck. For instance, my work has level 2 chargers available, but they are first come first served. To not be a dick, I only charge to cover my commute then I go move it. If I'm not getting an accurate report of the charge rate then I'm not able to accurately predict when to move my truck.

Also, it's the principal of it. If a multi-billion dollar company offers an app, then I expect that it works properly. Putting out crap discredits their ability to produce quality products and I'll look elsewhere for my next purchase. EV's are starting to come to a parity and technology will be the difference maker.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The FP charging session data screen is woefully slow to update, I don't think the Ford cloud can handle the throughput requirements, their data scientists need to talk to Nasa or Tesla......
It's not even a large volume of data that needs to be handled. No excuse, they need to step up their game. I'm on the fence about buying another Ford EV. I'm super happy with the Lightning, but I need to see drastic improvement on the SW front to be convinced that it's worth investing in another from them.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It's not even a large volume of data that needs to be handled
a million vehicles phoning home every second is a LOT of data

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a million vehicles phoning home every second is a LOT of data
Handling service requests isn't typically a bottleneck, more so fetching the data. I assumed they would have set up dedicated servers for EV as it would require more throughput compared to ICE. I guess that's not the case.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's a quality of life thing. I'd like to know, accurately, how much energy is being pumped into the truck. For instance, my work has level 2 chargers available, but they are first come first served. To not be a dick, I only charge to cover my commute then I go move it. If I'm not getting an accurate report of the charge rate then I'm not able to accurately predict when to move my truck.

Also, it's the principal of it. If a multi-billion dollar company offers an app, then I expect that it works properly. Putting out crap discredits their ability to produce quality products and I'll look elsewhere for my next purchase. EV's are starting to come to a parity and technology will be the difference maker.
I don't disagree with your focus, but let's look at your argument, in principle...

There are two fields. Charge rate, and Energy Added. A non-math-expert can divide Energy Added by TIme on Charger and know the exact charge rate.

The app works fine. It truncates the decimal place. If that's a reason to look elsewhere for your next purchase, that's absurd.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't disagree with your focus, but let's look at your argument, in principle...

There are two fields. Charge rate, and Energy Added. A non-math-expert can divide Energy Added by TIme on Charger and know the exact charge rate.

The app works fine. It truncates the decimal place. If that's a reason to look elsewhere for your next purchase, that's absurd.
That works after enough time has passed, but I'm not able to have my phone on my while working. So I need to know the charge rate after a couple minutes have passed. In @Pioneer74's screenshot, the app was off by more than 50%. So yeah, if I can get a similar vehicle with a manufacturer that provides quality SW support, why wouldn't I chose them over someone who doesn't bother to try? Which is more absurd:
  • buying a phone that has slow/buggy updates, no/little improvement to quality of life issues
  • buying a different but similar phone that has frequent updates that improves quality of life issues?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That works after enough time has passed, but I'm not able to have my phone on my while working. So I need to know the charge rate after a couple minutes have passed. In @Pioneer74's screenshot, the app was off by more than 50%. So yeah, if I can get a similar vehicle with a manufacturer that provides quality SW support, why wouldn't I chose them over someone who doesn't bother to try? Which is more absurd:
  • buying a phone that has slow/buggy updates, no/little improvement to quality of life issues
  • buying a different but similar phone that has frequent updates that improves quality of life issues?
Understand.

When I bought our first Mach-E 2 years ago, I said to the dealer, "you and Ford are going to screw this up. This will be painful for you, them, and me. I'm doing this because I don't want Tesla to be the only choice, and I will pull you and Ford kicking and screaming along with me."

Ford's in-vehicle software experience was crap before the Mach-E and Lightning. It has come a long way, and will I'm sure continue to advance. But this kind of issue (truncating the decimal place) was likely not an error, it has a reason. They'll never tell us the reason. If that bothers you (the truncating, or the lack of them explaining or fixing it), then I'd say you should plan on another brand in the future, because this will continue to happen.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's not just the truncating, it's the whole picture.
  • This Trip doesn't reset consistently
  • Trip logs aren't reliable (oddly, I wouldn't ding them if they weren't available. But if they are going to make them available, they should be reliable)
  • Charging logs aren't reliable
  • FCSP energy usage displays total used when you unplug vs when it actually happened
  • Error messages that don't seem to matter (might lead me to ignoring them when it does matter)
  • No SOC except in calm screen and BC
  • Pandering to complaints and ruining the DTE calc instead of education customers (partly the fault of dealerships on the education front, but it was Ford's bad choice to make the update)
I could go on but it's lunch time and I need to go warm up my BBQ. I appreciate what Ford has done thus far, I want to see more. I've got a couple years before my wife will be ready to make the jump to an EV so we'll see where everyone stands at that point. I can live with first gen difficulties, she can't.
Sponsored