First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Self Employeed
That’s cheap. But still… one more thing to maintain and hope doesn’t go wrong… I had no issues in my ICE Lariat, but tons of issues on my Expedition (although the mechanisms were different, which could explain the quality issue)
I have them on two ICE F150's, my current lighting and two of my wives expeditions. We live in Kansas City where the ice can be hard on vehicles. No issues ever with any of them and I do nothing to them as they are under warranty.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have them on two ICE F150's, my current lighting and two of my wives expeditions. We live in Kansas City where the ice can be hard on vehicles. No issues ever with any of them and I do nothing to them as they are under warranty.
Ice isn't the problem. Road salt and dirt is. It gets into the hinges and binds them up.

I lubed the hinges up on mine up every fall and spring with Fluid Film and didn't have any problems.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yep. The hinges are the problem. I did damage my driver's side running board motor on a 2012 Expedition. Which was the first time I ever owned powered running boards. it was all bound up with ice and slush when I opened the door. Ford still fixed it under warranty. Supposedly newer units are better and if the motors encounter too much resistance they'll stop. I have no experience with the newer Magna ones. I have only owned the powered boards on a 2012 and 2018 Expedition -- both factory options. I helped a friend install a set of AMP PowerSteps on his F-150, like in 2016. They were identical to the factory ones I was familiar with (also being AMP) just without the integration. A manual switch (did not install that) would give the same functionality if they can be locked open or closed.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Yep. The hinges are the problem. I did damage my driver's side running board motor on a 2012 Expedition. Which was the first time I ever owned powered running boards. it was all bound up with ice and slush when I opened the door. Ford still fixed it under warranty. Supposedly newer units are better and if the motors encounter too much resistance they'll stop. I have no experience with the newer Magna ones. I have only owned the powered boards on a 2012 and 2018 Expedition -- both factory options. I helped a friend install a set of AMP PowerSteps on his F-150, like in 2016. They were identical to the factory ones I was familiar with (also being AMP) just without the integration. A manual switch (did not install that) would give the same functionality if they can be locked open or closed.
Never had an issue with my older ones on my ICE Lariat. My 2020 Expedition had the newer ones, (or maybe they are just different kn the Expedition), and they had issues even when I kept them clean. They would move down and pop back up, or get stuck and never deploy - my MIL took a face plant when it didn’t deploy on the passenger side and she didn’t realize it when stepping out!

Voxx23

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Boss guy
Can anyone tell me how much lower the power steps are (Either Ford or AMP)when compared to the stock ford running board. No wheel mods , so stock 23 platinum setup. Have a disability and although I'd rather lower the truck, no good solutions for that option yet (camber issues, stability) so a power step looks to be the best option.

Sponsored

ntcarson

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
You should know before you consider that option that you cannot just throw them on. The entire drivers seat has to be replaced in order to get the correct modules that allow the boards to function.
Is that true even if I have a Platinum? Thank you!

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
That's not true. The AMP boards have an available switch that you can manually control them with. You just have to order it separately.
And you can lock them up, down, or auto. Best of all the switch is about the size of a dime and just a small 3 position rocker. And the Amps pretty much disappear in the up position.
Sponsored