Sponsored

Mount AM/FM radio antenna in the truck body?

Matigo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning XLT
Hello all, I am looking to remove the AM/FM radio antenna from the Lightning and initially thought of capping it or replacing it with a shorter antenna. However, I wonder if anyone ever attempt to install an antenna under the truck body, and connect it to the stock antenna connector that feeds the radio?

Here what's I am thinking:

- Remove the original antenna and install a cap

- Order another antenna harness and connect it to the radio connector (in the glovebox?)

- Install the original antenna in the glovebox compartment

I am guessing the reception would be degraded but still better than having no antenna. Any of you think that could work? Thanks for the advices!
Sponsored

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
I just cut 7" off of mine so it would clear the garage door. Its made of fiberglass with a wire coiling around and a removable cap on top. Used a lighter to soften the cap and popped it off, cut to length and replaced the cap sealed with the lighter.

OP
OP
Matigo

Matigo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning XLT
I just cut 7" off of mine so it would clear the garage door. Its made of fiberglass with a wire coiling around and a removable cap on top. Used a lighter to soften the cap and popped it off, cut to length and replaced the cap sealed with the lighter.
That's a good idea, will try it if the scheme I described above doesn't work. Might cut more than 7in though ;-)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Did you notice any degradation in reception?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Used a lighter to soften the cap
For anyone considering this, a heat gun would be safer as far as not damaging, they're cheap ($25 ish) at harbor freight if you have one near you. And they're useful for a lot of other things, especially with the power outlets on-board. Iced over window? Frozen plug? Frozen door? If I lived where there is snow and Ice it would live in my underseat storage.

Sponsored

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
That's what I removed

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat

Sponsored
OP
OP
Matigo

Matigo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning XLT
Ford F-150 Lightning Mount AM/FM radio antenna in the truck body? PXL_20231122_224504318

Anyone has an idea of the type of connector that is? Some sort of coax but quite small, the plastic housing diameter is 0.300 inches...

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
we have lousy FM because of the hills and nothing worth listening to on AM so I ditched the antennae completely replacing it with a 1" bolt. crazy thing, there is no change in my FM reception at all! But usually listen to a stream from my phone or listen to SiriusXM.
Sponsored