'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Looks like the Tesla supercharger network will be available long before government bureaucracy
Allows for any meaningful advancement with the DCFC network

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
This was eye-opening to me. Looks like conflicting state and charger company requirements and the slow government process of these types of projects has really hurt this effort. I looked at a couple of NE state NEVI planning reports (VT, MA) and they are not very far. We need much more than just Telsa Supercharger access to have adequate levels of charging available to all.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Looks like I was quite prescient on this one... see below from a post on the topic on 1/31/23. The only thing I missed is I should have stated 2023 and 2024, since I now have my doubts about 2024 as well. Yay Government!!!!!

Anyone know who to talk to get a 7.5B refund?!?!??!

I dont know of a single NEVI funded charger construction that has actually been started much less completed in any state in the entire USA. Some states are obtaining bids for their first wave of bid selections.

From my research, I'd be surprised if any charger/location (that was not already privately planned prior to NEVI) is planned and installed as result of NEVI in 2023 in all of the US.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Well it'd only be a refund when bids for the sites are let & approved. Not much of it's been spent yet.

Looks like I was quite prescient on this one... see below from a post on the topic on 1/31/23. The only thing I missed is I should have stated 2023 and 2024, since I now have my doubts about 2024 as well. Yay Government!!!!!

Anyone know who to talk to get a 7.5B refund?!?!??!

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
The only thing that a delay in NEVI does to me (if we get access to Superchargers) is delays my RV plans. I want a travel trailer that I can pull with my Lightning but I’m going to be reluctant to buy one if I don’t have access to fast chargers every 50 miles. I can wait a few years so no worries.

What gets me is that we still have gas stations going up with dozens of gas pumps and not a single fast charger. I think the governments are going to have to pass a law requiring a minimum number of fast chargers to get a building permit for gas stations, that would probably get us a lot more chargers than the NEVI free handouts. The vision of dozens of EVs all charging at the same time while the EV owners patron the stores should be extremely exciting to gas station developers but maybe they are just too entrenched with the oil companies to care.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only thing that a delay in NEVI does to me (if we get access to Superchargers) is delays my RV plans. I want a travel trailer that I can pull with my Lightning but I’m going to be reluctant to buy one if I don’t have access to fast chargers every 50 miles. I can wait a few years so no worries.

What gets me is that we still have gas stations going up with dozens of gas pumps and not a single fast charger. I think the governments are going to have to pass a law requiring a minimum number of fast chargers to get a building permit for gas stations, that would probably get us a lot more chargers than the NEVI free handouts. The vision of dozens of EVs all charging at the same time while the EV owners patron the stores should be extremely exciting to gas station developers but maybe they are just too entrenched with the oil companies to care.
Which gas stations?

https://www.newsweek.com/mercedes-t...-Buc-ee's,already home to Tesla Superchargers.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Oh come on! Buc-ees has been building like crazy the last couple of years and now that most of stations are finished they decide to install “Tesla” chargers as an afterthought. The Tesla chargers are not in a very convenient location and not designed for pull through access.

The Flying J chargers have a good pull through design but I haven’t seen them install more than two chargers at a location. There is a QT in downtown Fort Worth that just went online without a single charger. Maybe the tide has changed and more new gas stations will get chargers but I haven’t seen it yet.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

A big issue with chargers at gas stations is electrical infrastructure. Sure some will have it available to install, and larger stations might have capacity already, but many smaller / rural stations just don't have enough electrical supply. That can be fixed, but it takes a lot of time and money.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Ironically, I think the infrastructure bill contributed to delayed rollout of new chargers. I would bet that construction planned prior to signing of bill was put on hold pending availability of grant money. For example, it made no sense for Pilot/EVGo/GM to food the bill for the Ultium charging network when they could get free money from the government.

What's worse is that some states haven't even spent their VW emissions mitigation trust money that was announced in 2019.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ironically, I think the infrastructure bill contributed to delayed rollout of new chargers. I would bet that construction planned prior to signing of bill was put on hold pending availability of grant money. For example, it made no sense for Pilot/EVGo/GM to food the bill for the Ultium charging network when they could get free money from the government.

What's worse is that some states haven't even spent their VW emissions mitigation trust money that was announced in 2019.
I think your speculation about Pilot / EVGo / GM is unfounded.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/5/23988171/gm-ev-charging-station-progress-pilot-evgo

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2022/07/14/gm-pilot-to-build-coast-to-coast-ev-charging-network/
Sponsored