Sponsored

Having dealer update all software/firmware

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Is there any reason to be concerned about having the dealer install all of these updates (see attached) to make everything current in my '23 Lariat ER? They'll also be doing CSP 23B57 for the battery module firmware.

Ford F-150 Lightning Having dealer update all software/firmware 1FT6W1EV0PWG59660-2-Feb-24
Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
They most likely wont touch the ones that aren’t related to the csp……..unless you pay for them to update the others.

OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They most likely wont touch the ones that aren’t related to the csp……..unless you pay for them to update the others.
They will since I told them I want all the updates as a condition of the sale, including the CSP. They didn't have time to do it all that day since it's 4hrs so bringing it in tomorrow while I'm at work. I just want to make sure I'm not setting myself for some disaster.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
As long as they have competent and complete them appropriately, you should be fine.

My 22 Lariat was way out of date when I bought mine in April of 23 and the dealer brought it current for me shortly after. No problems and I have been receiving updates ever since.

Good luck!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
They will likely have more updates after those. I did the same last May.

Sponsored

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Dealerships can not update any OTA Power Up updates such as 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x. The only updates dealerships can accomplish are the Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS). Forget any OTA updates like the ones mentioned above. My 23 Lariat is behind all of those since Ford is only actively working on OTA for the2022s. The 23s will follow suite after who knows how long. Ford is again letting Tesla outshine them and the only justification is Tesla has been doing OTA updates for a longer time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Dealerships can not update any OTA Power Up updates such as 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x. The only updates dealerships can accomplish are the Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS). Forget any OTA updates like the ones mentioned above.
So those FDRS listed updates are separate and different from what Ford still has in the hopper to push as OTA updates? I was mistakenly assuming that list was the only list and included everything that is current.

I come from Tesla, where a software update was the software update and applied to everyone.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Nope, Ford is convoluted and has hired 3rd parties for OTA updating unlike Tesla thus saving them more money at the consumer’s expense. Until Ford changes the way they update OTA, the consumer will always be 1 yr or more behind. Tesla does all of their OTA updates themselves guaranteeing a smooth download to all of Tesla customers. Ford should take note of that.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I saw your list and it resembles my list. Dealerships only update the FDRS into your modules. The OTA Power Updates (4.X, 5.X, 6.X) are separate from the FDRS that updates your modules. This the dealerships can and will do but not the OTA Power Updates that I think your list and my list are full of.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
So those FDRS listed updates are separate and different from what Ford still has in the hopper to push as OTA updates? I was mistakenly assuming that list was the only list and included everything that is current.

I come from Tesla, where a software update was the software update and applied to everyone.
The updates listed in FDRS are for individual modules. OTA Power Up updates are updates that, for the most part, involve multiple modules.

You may get the same effect of an OTA update by updating individual modules, but you also may not. You can only update the modules that FDRS allows. If Ford doesn't release the updates to your VIN, you can't install them.

Sponsored

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
Dealerships can not update any OTA Power Up updates such as 4.x, 5.x, or 6.x. The only updates dealerships can accomplish are the Ford Diagnostic & Repair System (FDRS). Forget any OTA updates like the ones mentioned above. My 23 Lariat is behind all of those since Ford is only actively working on OTA for the2022s. The 23s will follow suite after who knows how long. Ford is again letting Tesla outshine them and the only justification is Tesla has been doing OTA updates for a longer time.
I have a '23 Lariat and get OTA updates regularly. Last one I got was the 6.13.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I have a '23 Lariat and get OTA updates regularly. Last one I got was the 6.13.
I was informed that the 22s will be OTA satisfied before any 23s. Your truck just confirms my suspicion all along that my particular truck does not accept OTA Power Updates for unknown reasons. After 12 calls to numerous Ford departments the only thing they suggested is to apply for the “Buy Back“ program which is a company cop out.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Perhaps you already know what I am about to say, but I wanted to say it because this post makes it seem like FDRS is incapable of installing certain updates.

FDRS supersedes the OTA process. If a vehicle is far enough behind where it has not gotten the 4.x.x updates, then yes; they can indeed be applied with FDRS. The difference is that FDRS will update the modules without making a correlation as to what the OTA equivalent is of the update it doing.

Assuming the last OTA a vehicle got was 3.5.4 which was a TCU update. The next power-up update that is due for that vehicle is GWM update 4.2.1. If you plug that vehicle into FDRS and perform the GWM that is has showing, you essentially did OTA 4.2.1 with FDRS, so that vehicle will never get that update or if it does get it sent, it will fail because it already has it installed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Try to unlearn all that, or you will be very upset during your ownership.

I saw your list and it resembles my list. Dealerships only update the FDRS into your modules. The OTA Power Updates (4.X, 5.X, 6.X) are separate from the FDRS that updates your modules. This the dealerships can and will do but not the OTA Power Updates that I think your list and my list are full of.
Your understanding is flawed. @rugedraw has explained it correctly.

Perhaps you already know what I am about to say, but I wanted to say it because this post makes it seem like FDRS is incapable of installing certain updates.

FDRS supersedes the OTA process. If a vehicle is far enough behind where it has not gotten the 4.x.x updates, then yes; they can indeed be applied with FDRS. The difference is that FDRS will update the modules without making a correlation as to what the OTA equivalent is of the update it doing.

Assuming the last OTA a vehicle got was 3.5.4 which was a TCU update. The next power-up update that is due for that vehicle is GWM update 4.2.1. If you plug that vehicle into FDRS and perform the GWM that is has showing, you essentially did OTA 4.2.1 with FDRS, so that vehicle will never get that update or if it does get it sent, it will fail because it already has it installed.
Yes. Perfect answer.

And what really screws up your head is when you take the vehicle in for work, and as part of that work they do an update of say 3 modules. The pending OTA update that was coming was going to update 2 modules, 1 of the 3 you just had done, and 1 other one. So, you still get that OTA update, but then skip the next 2 because you already got those modules updated.
Sponsored