• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
That’s sharp looking!

I could also envision a version that is backlit (LEDs) assuming that a 12v source can be located and tapped.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
That’s sharp looking!

I could also envision a version that is backlit (LEDs) assuming that a 12v source can be located and tapped.
I like that idea! Could print the lightning in a clear color (assuming they make it in ASA so that it can hold up to humidity and UV) then put some led light strip behind it. You could change the color to your mood 😆).

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Print the logo layers in glow-in-the-dark filament? I've never tried it, not sure how well it glows.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I like that idea! Could print the lightning in a clear color (assuming they make it in ASA so that it can hold up to humidity and UV) then put some led light strip behind it. You could change the color to your mood 😆).
I've used clear PETG, should hold up to the heat but not sure on UV robustness.

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The LED idea needs to be explored to figure out if it’s viable (material, lighting, power source, etc).

In the interim, I’d be very interested in a non-lighted version, blue lightning logo on red background (that works for me, as my truck is red). I also like the contrast blue on red vs the black background.

A standard plate is 12” wide by 6” tall. Probably only needs screw holes on the top, as well.

doable?

Sponsored
OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Yes. I used the standard dimensions to make the plate. Reference I found had top and bottom holes, but I can delete those. Lightning logo was just scaled up keychain I made. I would probably add pegs and holes to assemble the two together. I would still add glue, but the pegs would help in locating and would be a press fit. Are you just wanting the files to print, or would you want me to print and ship (I would assemble as well). If I do on my printer the plate would need to be a two piece design due to my bed size (I’d make some locating features and then just glue together).

HHI-Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d greatly appreciate the files if you’re wllling to share them. Easiest to send via a PM.

With that said, I see it’s pretty easy to purchase a custom printed aluminum plate off the internet.

I’m thinking that may be more prudent, as I’m not sure how the 3d printing will deal with temp swings, UV, and road debris (rocks, bugs), etc. Thoughts?

OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
ASA, should hold up, but an aluminum plate may be ideal anyway. Not sure. I can send both (I will have to finish later, as I have evening plans). If you attempt to print the plate, what is your bed size? That way I know whether to split the model or not for you.

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
I will start with something I did quickly today. My daughter thought I should make a lightning keychain (more like a charm to hang from the rearview mirror). I don’t know if I’ll hang it from the mirror or make it the new mail key chain, but anyway I designed a front view of the lightning for a keychain. Was fairly quick to design, and printed super easily.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6643265

IMG_8255.jpeg
This is super crafty and fun!

Sponsored
OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Something like this?

Lightning Front Plate.png

Edit: Added Red plate (obviously it is just what material you print with, but figured I'd show in Red since you mentioned it).

Lightning Front Plate Red.png
I uploaded this to the thingiverse. I haven't had a chance to print yet (I will have to make it a 2 piece assembly to try it), but anyone can grab the files now if they'd like to print (and have a bigger bed). The logo should print on most size beds (but may yet be a hair to big for mine in this format). I have printed this exact logo before as a key ring, and it prints very easily. I just scaled it up for the plate. Enjoy!

F150 Lightning License Plate by Dpetricca - Thingiverse

OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
This is a good one. At least for me. I wanted to have MagSafe charging for my phone (since I have the XLT and no wireless charger). I saw there is a company that makes an XLT charger, that goes in the cubby under the dash, but I didn't like that it layed flat, so I designed my own. I also gave it some storage for my wallet, since I use a MagSafe wallet (with my custom "key fob card" that I will post more information on when I get it in Thingiverse). I put all the details in the Thingiverse description including the MagSafe charger I purchased and the right-angle USB-C adapter. Hope somebody else enjoys this one (as it took lots of prototypes)!

F-150 Lightning XLT MagSafe Charger and Wallet Storage by Dpetricca - Thingiverse

Ford F-150 Lightning 3D Printing Fun IMG_0026
Ford F-150 Lightning 3D Printing Fun IMG_0027
Ford F-150 Lightning 3D Printing Fun IMG_0028

OP
OP
FLSpartan04

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Just completed my tow hook cover prototypes. I plan to re-print in ASA to hold up better to the UV and humidity in FL (these were printed in PLA). Not sure if I should stick with this blue or go darker. Part of me wants to see what they would look like in red or even bronze. Just depends how many rolls of filament I want to buy!
I'd be interested if anyone has suggestions on these, such as color, modifications etc. I even thought about adding a knurling layer on the surface (not sure how to even do that, but I am sure I could google an answer to that).
F-150 Tow Hook Covers by Dpetricca - Thingiverse

Ford F-150 Lightning 3D Printing Fun IMG_8275

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Just completed my tow hook cover prototypes. I plan to re-print in ASA to hold up better to the UV and humidity in FL (these were printed in PLA). Not sure if I should stick with this blue or go darker. Part of me wants to see what they would look like in red or even bronze. Just depends how many rolls of filament I want to buy!
I'd be interested if anyone has suggestions on these, such as color, modifications etc. I even thought about adding a knurling layer on the surface (not sure how to even do that, but I am sure I could google an answer to that).
F-150 Tow Hook Covers by Dpetricca - Thingiverse

IMG_8275.jpg
I’m definitely going to try this one.