• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

safe to lock keys in the truck and use keypad for reentry?

Jetsfan17

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR, 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium
I don't understand how this is possible. My truck will not lock when the key is inside.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Do they need to "find" your fob? If it's in the truck (cubby, console, glove box, etc.) won't they still be able to start the truck and drive off if they try?

Granted they may be just trying to steal contents but I suspect the wiser thieves (oxymoron) will always try to start it - knowing that some folks leave the fob in there.

I hide my spare fob in a Faraday bag (but I have PAAK).
I couldn't remember if the fob disables or not in this situation. Or if it only disables the door handle touch locks. It's very much possible they could just hit the "start" button and drive. They likely wouldn't realize that, but there is no such thing as "security by obscurity".

I don't understand how this is possible. My truck will not lock when the key is inside.
I think it depends on your trim package. Do you have the security code pad on the door pillar? You can lock the door by hitting the last 2 keys together. Do you have that little lock icon on a black button on your door handle? Just touch that with the doors shut to lock them. When I run deliveries and I'm in and out all the time I love that little lock icon because when my arms are full I can just touch my arm to it for a moment and the doors will lock. I'm not sure which of these features were part of the higher XLT trim and which were in the base XLT trim.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I believe it only works if you use the keypad, pressing the bottom two buttons.

Jetsfan17

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR, 2023 Mustang Mach E Premium
I believe it only works if you use the keypad, pressing the bottom two buttons.
Thank you. I did not know about the bottom two button trick. This is a game changer. Not having to carry the fob will help a lot.

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Another suggestion for those who want a backup. Buy a spare on AliExpress (less than $30), program it, harvest the PCB from it, and hide it in the truck. The fob without battery, will work in the fob pocket in the cup holder without the battery. This is the backup if your fob battery is dead. I learned this when making my key fob card for my wallet. Anyway, the only reason I suggest harvesting the PCB is to anonymize it as it won’t look like a key if they do happen to find it. I have mine hidden in the truck in a 3D printed case with an AirTag. This is my backup truck location mechanism as well. This may seem technical, but it’s really easy. Just program, remove case, and hide. If you ever need a backup, remove from your hiding spot and put in the cupholder to start her up. I also made it a MyKey, so the speed will be limited if anyone figures it out and tries to make a quick getaway 😆.

Sponsored

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Sorry for this silly question but is PAAK available on all models?
No. What ones it is available on depends on model year. 24’s it is on lariat and platinum (I don’t think flash but not 100%). 23’s and prior available on lariat ER and platinum and maybe as an option on some Lariat SR (I think). I have an XLT, but hate carrying a fob, which is why I design a key fob card that I could stick in my wallet attached to my phone. With all the PAAK problems, this is looking like not a bad decision now.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Thank you. I did not know about the bottom two button trick. This is a game changer. Not having to carry the fob will help a lot.
Well then, here's more tricks from the Owners Manual (hint hint):
Unlocking the Driver Door
Enter the factory-set five-digit code or your personal code. You must press each number within five seconds of each other.
Note: All doors unlock if the two-stage unlocking feature is disabled. See Keyless Entry Settings

Unlocking All Doors
Enter the factory-set five-digit code or your personal code, then press 3-4 within five seconds.

To Release the Frunk
Enter the factory-set five-digit code or your personal code, then press 7-8 within five seconds.

Locking the Doors
Press and hold 7·8 and 9·0 at the same time with the driver door closed. You do not need to enter your 5-digit code first.

Last edited:

HGBlob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro
Guys, here's the special sauce if you want to ditch your keys in your truck and not worry about someone breaking your window and driving away.

Leave em in the frunk! Won't register as being in the car and you can keypad right into there!

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
when I leave the fob in the truck I lock it with the keypad on the door but my mirrors don't retract like they do if I take the fob with me. Does this mean the truck is not locked?

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
when I leave the fob in the truck I lock it with the keypad on the door but my mirrors don't retract like they do if I take the fob with me. Does this mean the truck is not locked?
Why not just pull the handle and check? ;)

If you have PAAK or your fob is still on you, use your thumb and forefinger to grip the top and bottom of the handle by the keyhole and pull. That keeps the unlock sensor from activating. That's what I do.

But if you leave the fob in the truck and don't have PAAK, you should just be able to grab the handle and pull to check. Afterall that's what this "beach mode" is supposed to be do.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Why not just pull the handle and check? ;)

If you have PAAK or your fob is still on you, use your thumb and forefinger to grip the top and bottom of the handle by the keyhole and pull. That keeps the unlock sensor from activating. That's what I do.

But if you leave the fob in the truck and don't have PAAK, you should just be able to grab the handle and pull to check. Afterall that's what this "beach mode" is supposed to be do.
Great advice, I just checked and it is locked even with the mirrors extended. I ended up throwing the fob in the house along with my PAAK

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Having your keyfob in your car will run the battery in the fob down more quickly because the truck is communicating with your fob the whole time its in there. I still do it at the lake or other places I worry about losing my keys.
How long does it take to run the battery in the fob down? I've had my 2022 for over 2 years and no problem.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I use a Faraday mesh bag to wrap my spare (3d) fob and lock everything in a solid Kimber pistol tethered box somewhere on the truck. The lock on the Kimber steel box is now keyed to my house key. This way, if I have my house key I have access to a spare truck fob which cannot interact with the truck while in its bag + box, and thus doesn't wear its small battery down.

I often access the truck spaces with the door code as does my family including preteens, so getting into the truck spaces is "fob-free" for those who know my door code.

Of note, it pays to have a 3d fob programmed to Your Ford as it takes two fobs to self-program a Ford fob through the in-console free DIY procedure. Otherwise, if a fob is ever lost / stolen etc, ya gotta pay a dealer some $$$ because one fob cannot execute the DIY programming procedure by itself. I happened to have a F150-compatible extra fob from my Mach E days.
Sponsored