j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Hi all -

Just got my 2023 Lightning two weeks ago on an amazing lease deal. I love the truck and have been very happy with how it drives and charges - I don't miss my 2021 ICE Powerboost (for sale if anyone's interested).

There's one issue that I haven't been able to solve, however. BlueCruise will not activate when I'm on the highway (where I've used BC in my 2021 - so I know it's not the road). Everything is correctly activated in the app and in the settings for the truck. The lane centering with adaptive cruise control engages without a problem - it's just that the BC doesn't activate (and never has).

The dealer I got the truck from (250 miles from me) has no idea. My local dealer told me it is because there are some outstanding sensor software updates that need to be addressed by Ford and it won't be able to activate until those are fixed. That doesn't quite sound right - so I wanted to ask for the collective wisdom of this forum.

I have found some posts where people talk about using FORScan or removing fuses - but since it's a lease, I don't want to mess around too much.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Jon
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Definitely could be software related. Have a scroll through all the settings and the status indicators for revision level of updates.

There is also a maintenance info screen that can be accessed through keypresses.

Search the forums for the full details.
Some people also had module problems.

Bluecruise needs gps to function, that is the key.

OP
OP
j8g

j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I went through the main menus and found the attached in the SYNC about - could this be causing it? It says hands-free is available through 10/6/23. But the app says I have BC for 3 years starting 6/13/24.

Ford F-150 Lightning New Lightning - BlueCruise Won't Activate IMG_0858

Ford F-150 Lightning New Lightning - BlueCruise Won't Activate IMG_0859

@Heliian I did search for "maintenance info screen" in the forum but that didn't yield any results as to the specific key presses. Do you have a link you can share?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales

Sponsored

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I went through the main menus and found the attached in the SYNC about - could this be causing it? It says hands-free is available through 10/6/23. But the app says I have BC for 3 years starting 6/13/24.

IMG_0858.jpeg

I would bet this is your problem - the truck thinks BC is expired. Something isnt sync'd right somewhere, but as long as the truck thinks BC access expired in 10/6/2023, it wont enable it on the road.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
1FT6W1EV5PWG47875

Thank you!
Looking into it. Stand by. As was mentioned, your truck has expired BC maps and that should not be the case as I see the warranty started on 5/31/24. I am not sure what is going on and am consulting with someone else to figure it out.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@j8g It seems like you may need to contact customer care (not the dealer) to have them send an activation signal for BC on your truck. You can also try a master reset to see if that gives it a kick to activate. On the surface, everything looks good for BC to work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
j8g

j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
So after almost two hours and six reps at Connected Services and In-Vehicle Technology, I have a (possible) diagnosis: the vehicle was built in October 2023, and has not had any software updates (including BC maps) since then - as Ford does not update software until the vehicle is assigned to a customer (the dealer had it for a week after I signed the lease contract and I asked them to ensure the software was up to date, but...). This also explains why the system shows that it just installed PowerUp v4.2.1.2.

I'm told that if I wait for all of this to be updated OTA, it could take months, so my best hope is to take it to the dealer, where it may still take a few days per the rep.

My favorite part of my two hours on the phone was the one rep who insisted that I did not have BlueCruise hands-free (even though I pointed out repeatedly that I had the 511A package). Nothing like being gaslit by customer service...

@Ford Motor Company this has been a terrible experience so far (and I'm really hoping the trip to the dealer solves this). This is my third Ford, and I'm extremely disappointed.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I'm told that if I wait for all of this to be updated OTA, it could take months, so my best hope is to take it to the dealer, where it may still take a few days per the rep.

@Ford Motor Company this has been a terrible experience so far (and I'm really hoping the trip to the dealer solves this). This is my third Ford, and I'm extremely disappointed.
And that's probably because when they do get around to sending out OTAs, it's usually only one a week!

You got two in June that are helpful, one for the GWM and one for the TCU. But you've got another GWM in your available software list in FDRS as well as a shed-load of other stuff that they haven't been sending out as OTAs anyway. Map updates for things like BC are in the GWM updates BTW...just so you know. Dealer tech should be able to update that since there is a TSB about maps expiration as it relates to BC not working...and updating the GWM (gateway module...also known as an ECG).

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Did you try a master reset?

OP
OP
j8g

j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Did you try a master reset?
I have not - if I read Ford's site correctly, it sounds like I run the risk of many of the Connected Services needing to be reactivated?

OP
OP
j8g

j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
And that's probably because when they do get around to sending out OTAs, it's usually only one a week!

You got two in June that are helpful, one for the GWM and one for the TCU. But you've got another GWM in your available software list in FDRS as well as a shed-load of other stuff that they haven't been sending out as OTAs anyway. Map updates for things like BC are in the GWM updates BTW...just so you know. Dealer tech should be able to update that since there is a TSB about maps expiration as it relates to BC not working...and updating the GWM (gateway module...also known as an ECG).
Mike - service manager is telling me that there's a TSB about some sort of problematic update having to do with some of the sensors, and so he's concerned that he might brick my truck if he tries to install everything. He said he would check with his technical service advisor...
Sponsored