• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am in the middle of a 2500 mile trip using Tesla chargers with the Lectron adapter. Charging always fails around the 20 minute mark when ambient temp is at or above 95 degrees. It has failed 4 times now. If I hold it under the a/c vent for a few minutes, all is fine for another 20 minutes or so. the adapter is red hot when you pull it out.

charged yesterday at 85 degrees and all was fine and adapter was just mildly warm.

YMMV
It would be great for someone to have this happen, then pull out the A2Z adapter and use it and see how it does, then pull out the Ford adapter and do the same.

The A2ZEV adapter has been extensively tested for temperature. People have shown it working with the adapter at 111 degrees also.
Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I had this happen to me twice while charging last week. I took the recommendation from someone else to put a towel over the adapter while charging and it worked great. I was able to charge the entire time without the adapter overheating while at the Tesla charger. Even if the store isn't hot at first, it will heat up if charging and in direct sunlight. This is what happened to me.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had this happen to me twice while charging last week. I took the recommendation from someone else to put a towel over the adapter while charging and it worked great. I was able to charge the entire time without the adapter overheating while at the Tesla charger. Even if the store isn't hot at first, it will heat up if charging and in direct sunlight. This is what happened to me.
WHICH ADAPTER?

Lectron
A2ZEV
Ford

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
It would be great for someone to have this happen, then pull out the A2Z adapter and use it and see how it does, then pull out the Ford adapter and do the same.

The A2ZEV adapter has been extensively tested for temperature. People have shown it working with the adapter at 111 degrees also.

I should have tested this yesterday as I have both and was traveling in 100+ temps and was disappointed at how quickly it dropped the KW's I started at 160 and fell into the 80's fairly quickly. I used the wet towel on the supercharger handle but not the adapter.

Also this was the first time using the "approved" adapter. In the past, I have used the A2Z but it was never this hot out when using that one.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I should have tested this yesterday as I have both and was traveling in 100+ temps and was disappointed at how quickly it dropped the KW's I started at 160 and fell into the 80's fairly quickly. I used the wet towel on the supercharger handle but not the adapter.

Also this was the first time using the "approved" adapter. In the past, I have used the A2Z but it was never this hot out when using that one.
It was 109 when I last charged at an EA station, no adapter required, and it still jumped down into the 80's very quickly. I think that's a battery temp thing, not the adapter's fault.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the Lectron adapter.
Good info. Now let's see if the A2ZEV or Ford adapters do the same, shutdown during a hot day.

I am betting that neither does.

Last edited:

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Good info. Now let's see if the A2ZEV or Ford adapters do the same, shutdown during a hot day.
Both times happened on 88 and 90 degree days with full sun out. It probably doesn't help that the adapters are black either.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

I am betting that neither does.
I'll be testing the A2Z adapter in the southern Arizona desert at the end of the month. Likely at the hottest time of day. I should have results for you then. I didn't have any issues when I tested the adapter at 105F after getting it, but I only charged for about 5 min.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just used the A2Z in the sun with 103 temp, the truck or charger derated in the usual manner as the charge progressed but the adapter didn't get any hotter than the Tesla cord.
And the session didn't end, as it did with the Lectron mentioned.

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I have been traveling the last several weeks on the east coast (as far north as NY and south as NC - 2K miles or so in total) with the A2Z. Temps have (unfortunately) been in the 90s and many travel days have been 95 or better though no day has officially topped 100. I have had many charging times during the middle of the day and in direct sun.

To date, I have not had a charging session end or fault. Rates have been equivalent to other chargers at the same summer temps. The adapter absolutely does get very hot. After those charging sessions, I have held the adapter directly in front of the AC for awhile before returning it to the case, but as I said, not one time has it created a fault. I have not yet used any shade or cooling towels but may try that this weekend on another long trip in warm weather to see if there is any noticeable improvement.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
And the session didn't end, as it did with the Lectron mentioned.
Just finished a road trip from Austin to Vegas and back and charged using the official adapter with no problems at any stop. I think it was over 105 both times when we stopped in Kingman, AZ. First stop there, I feel like maybe I got derated a bit due to heat, but it never stopped charging. I did the towel trick second time around and the speed held a little better I felt. I keep the adapter in door pocket inside cabin.
Sponsored