• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lighting Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I am new to the lighting form as I pick up my 2023 platinum edition this Tuesday. I wish the dealer would have mentioned to check with my infrastructure in my home. I have a 100a panel. Can I still hook up the free Ford charing pro and just turn down the amps? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored

Nikola 369

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I am new to the lighting form as I pick up my 2023 platinum edition this Tuesday. I wish the dealer would have mentioned to check with my infrastructure in my home. I have a 100a panel. Can I still hook up the free Ford charing pro and just turn down the amps? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Yes, this can be done safely. Follow the instructions with CSP to set dial lower and follow the 80% rule for setting to breaker size. If you hire electricia, recommend, he should know all this after you explain selector dial in CSP to him. I recommend labeling front of CSP with breaker size and fact itā€™s set lower. I would also make a note in panel. This way a future owner/ user would understand why an 80amp device is set lower. Your truck comes standard with two onboard chargers and can draw a full 80amps for hoursā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ I have a std range battery and only one onboard charger that can draw 48 amps at max. I have my CSP set to 24amps and home charging times set to daytime hours to work with my solar system. This way I donā€™t use 200% of solar output, my home charging ends up being 90% from Solar.
This is great forum, with lots of knowledgeable and helpful member. You will likely learn so much more here than any dealer will share with you.

Nikola 369

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Yes, this can be done safely. Follow the instructions with CSP to set dial lower and follow the 80% rule for setting to breaker size. If you hire electricia, recommend, he should know all this after you explain selector dial in CSP to him. I recommend labeling front of CSP with breaker size and fact itā€™s set lower. I would also make a note in panel. This way a future owner/ user would understand why an 80amp device is set lower. Your truck comes standard with two onboard chargers and can draw a full 80amps for hoursā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ I have a std range battery and only one onboard charger that can draw 48 amps at max. I have my CSP set to 24amps and home charging times set to daytime hours to work with my solar system. This way I donā€™t use 200% of solar output, my home charging ends up being 90% from Solar.
This is great forum, with lots of knowledgeable and helpful member. You will likely learn so much more here than any dealer will share with you.
I should have added, in the CSP, instructions state use of ā€Copper wire onlyā€, this is a must! Problems arise with CSP with use of aluminum wire. He heating properties are different for these types of wire and CSP will read problems.

OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
thanks so much.

OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I should have added, in the CSP, instructions state use of ā€Copper wire onlyā€, this is a must! Problems arise with CSP with use of aluminum wire. He heating properties are different for these types of wire and CSP will read problems.
Perfect thanks again.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
This isn't going to work great unless your other major appliances are gas or oil fired. Hopefully you have a gas kitchen, gas or oil water heater, gas or oil heat. Even so, I would expect a load calculation to show you should not be putting the charger on more than a 40A breaker which means you will have to turn it down to 32A charge rate - 7kW. To charge your 130kW battery even from 50% will take 10 hours. From 0%, 20 hours. Just be aware you will need to do a lot of charging away from home unless you routinely don't drive the truck for more than a day.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Title fixed, thread moved ........... carry on.

Nikola 369

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales Engineer
This isn't going to work great unless your other major appliances are gas or oil fired. Hopefully you have a gas kitchen, gas or oil water heater, gas or oil heat. Even so, I would expect a load calculation to show you should not be putting the charger on more than a 40A breaker which means you will have to turn it down to 32A charge rate - 7kW. To charge your 130kW battery even from 50% will take 10 hours. From 0%, 20 hours. Just be aware you will need to do a lot of charging away from home unless you routinely don't drive the truck for more than a day.
I would say itā€™s a matter of how much you drive per day and if youā€™re going to use DCFC while out. If you get home and park by 7 or 8 pm than want to leave by 7 am, thatā€™s nearly 12 hours every day. Also this is during overnight when load at most homes are at the lowest.
As far as charging from 0% batteryā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. Not recommended to go below 20% as a rule of thumb, I go as low as 15% when on a trip, but not as normal. Mostly itā€™s been listed here on this site to not charge past 80% unless on a trip and needed. That said, here is the chart showing charge times. OPā€™s truck would be the second row, ER battery. 15 to 100 is 19 hours, but remove 20% for charging to 80% and your going to have around 15 hrs from 15 to 80% battery

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging IMG_0442

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Having done it for some time I'm going to suggest that a 40A or smaller charger will prove inconvenient for many folks driving vehicles with large batteries. It can certainly be done with some planning but it is far from hassle-free, especially if you use the truck every day.

If a service upgrade to 200A is available it would not be a bad idea. If your charging location is near your utility service entrance it may be practical to install a new outdoor main disconnect and feed both the existing main panel and a new panel for a 100A charging circuit right from there, which would be vastly cheaper than replacing the main panel.

OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, Thanks that's what I was wondering.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Having done it for some time I'm going to suggest that a 40A or smaller charger will prove inconvenient for many folks driving vehicles with large batteries. It can certainly be done with some planning but it is far from hassle-free, especially if you use the truck every day.

If a service upgrade to 200A is available it would not be a bad idea. If your charging location is near your utility service entrance it may be practical to install a new outdoor main disconnect and feed both the existing main panel and a new panel for a 100A charging circuit right from there, which would be vastly cheaper than replacing the main panel.
Great idea thanks

OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I would say itā€™s a matter of how much you drive per day and if youā€™re going to use DCFC while out. If you get home and park by 7 or 8 pm than want to leave by 7 am, thatā€™s nearly 12 hours every day. Also this is during overnight when load at most homes are at the lowest.
As far as charging from 0% batteryā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. Not recommended to go below 20% as a rule of thumb, I go as low as 15% when on a trip, but not as normal. Mostly itā€™s been listed here on this site to not charge past 80% unless on a trip and needed. That said, here is the chart showing charge times. OPā€™s truck would be the second row, ER battery. 15 to 100 is 19 hours, but remove 20% for charging to 80% and your going to have around 15 hrs from 15 to 80% battery

IMG_0442.jpeg
My work is only 2minutes away so no problem there and I really don't drive a lot about 22000km a year. I should be ok I think, correct?

OP
OP

Nemmer

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My work is only 2minutes away so no problem there and I really don't drive a lot about 22000km a year. I should be ok I think, correct?
I just want to try a Lighting EV and great deal.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
We have two EVs and a phev. We have two 7kW EVSEs for usual use. The fcsp is also installed. I have never required the faster charging of the fcsp. We also have an old 24amp evse that we don't use. The two 7kW EVSEs get discounted charging from our electric company. We have 200amp service (upgraded when we had solar installed). My wife's xc40 EV is typically charged to 80 percent and the lightning is charged to 60 percent (160 to 200 miles on gom for both vehicles). She charges at 9 percent per hour and I charge at 5 percent per hour. If I need to make a long drive and I know the night before I can charge overnight (discounted charging from 9pm to 1pm).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Find a licensed electrician that has experience installing EVSEs. Heā€˜ll do a load calculation and determine how low youā€™ll need to set it. From there, you can determine if youā€™ll get enough charge to meet your driving requirements.
Sponsored