John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Is it a CarPlay thing, or do I not know where the setting is:
Ring/message volume when the phone is connected to CarPlay is way too loud.
Also, I discovered from the other day, when merely connected to the truck as a phone (no CarPlay), that this is a problem.
It seems to be the same volume as the radio.
I can't find an alternate volume setting for the ring tone when connected to the truck.

Anyone know?
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I believe you can adjust the volume of the thing that needs adjusting by turning the volume knob while the thing is active.

For instance, if Google Maps is giving aural directions adjust the volume while it's speaking. Should work the same way for notification and ring tones.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
I believe you can adjust the volume of the thing that needs adjusting by turning the volume knob while the thing is active.

For instance, if Google Maps is giving aural directions adjust the volume while it's speaking. Should work the same way for notification and ring tones.
That may be true.
But I usually scramble to turn the volume down when it rings, and that lower volume doesn't stick.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Check the audio / ring volume settings from the bluetooth mode on the sync screen.

I know this works with android phones, not so sure if it's similar with ios/carplay type phones.

UPDATED:

My recollection is off, no volume level adjustments on screen.
I can select various style of tones for ringing and text notifications or select No tone / No Ring.
I'd assume I will still see visual cues of incoming calls & text's to accept or reject.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Check the audio / ring volume settings from the bluetooth mode on the sync screen.

I know this works with android phones, not so sure if it's similar with ios/carplay type phones.

UPDATED:

My recollection is off, no volume level adjustments on screen.
I can select various style of tones for ringing and text notifications or select No tone / No Ring.
I'd assume I will still see visual cues of incoming calls & text's to accept or reject.
I did fiddle through that section.
I may try no ring and see what happens, though, I did change to a "softer" ring tone in those settings and once I got CarPlay going again, it defaulted to my standard ring tone.

Sponsored
OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
This is in an Apple thread:
Ford F-150 Lightning Speaking of CarPlay 1729965564007-40

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney

Correct in my experience. The time to adjust the volume of whatever specific app/service/thing is while that thing is using the speakers. So, turn down the navigation voice while it is nagging you to return to the highlighted route; turn down the radio when the newscast makes you want to drive off a bridge, and so on.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yesterday afternoon I went back to the Lightning to play with the bluetooth modes, you can adjust the "Voice Level" of the chimes and ring tones, to do so you can demonstrate any of the various choices with the preview icon to the right of a particular selection, twist the volume dial up or down to change the level.

To make these changes:

Settings > Phone List> select your device > by default the wifi connection to carplay or android auto should be selected, choose the drop list Set Phone Ringtone for that mode then look at the list of ringtones, select the first options preview icon, it'll play persitenently for many seconds, then turn the sync volume dial down to lower the output.

Ford F-150 Lightning Speaking of CarPlay 1730038731158-oi

Change the connection method to bluetooth mode:
Select the Set Phone Ringtone, preview the tones, adjust the volume
Select Messaging, preview the tones, adjust the volume, you need to be fast with this as the preview only last a couple seconds

Ford F-150 Lightning Speaking of CarPlay 1730038442934-a5
Ford F-150 Lightning Speaking of CarPlay 1730038541513-fe

I don't know if the value changes "stick" past the current drive cycle, I'll look at the changes Monday.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Yesterday afternoon I went back to the Lightning to play with the bluetooth modes, you can adjust the "Voice Level" of the chimes and ring tones, to do so you can demonstrate any of the various choices with the preview icon to the right of a particular selection, twist the volume dial up or down to change the level.

To make these changes:

Settings > Phone List> select your device > by default the wifi connection to carplay or android auto should be selected, choose the drop list Set Phone Ringtone for that mode then look at the list of ringtones, select the first options preview icon, it'll play persitenently for many seconds, then turn the sync volume dial down to lower the output.

1730038731158-oi.jpg

Change the connection method to bluetooth mode:
Select the Set Phone Ringtone, preview the tones, adjust the volume
Select Messaging, preview the tones, adjust the volume, you need to be fast with this as the preview only last a couple seconds

1730038442934-a5.jpg
1730038541513-fe.jpg

I don't know if the value changes "stick" past the current drive cycle, I'll look at the changes Monday.
I see where you are going with this, and I'll make these adjustments, but so far my experience is CarPlay overrides these settings.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I see where you are going with this, and I'll make these adjustments, but so far my experience is CarPlay overrides these settings.
I also looked at my android device, I can go deeper into the audio controls, Ringtone, Media, Notifications & System. Look for this in your iOS device, maybe it will help with carplay sound carried to the truck?

Ford F-150 Lightning Speaking of CarPlay 1730045410915-7e
Sponsored