First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Picked up my new F150 last week, activated and connected it to the FordPass app. Everything worked great for the first 1-2 days. FordPass was getting status updates (mileage, tire pressure, location, etc) from the vehicle, up until it had 34 miles on the ODO. Then no status updates after that.

Around that same time I had connected the vehicle to my home WiFi, so I thought it may be related. Wasn't a high priority so I ignored it for a few days. Keep trying refresh on the FordPass app to no avail.

I then decided to remove the vehicle from FordPass and go through the activation process again. Problem was that I could never get the activation prompt on the Sync4 screen to confirm it. FordPass app would then report back an activation error, try again later.

So I called FordPass tech support, they tried some remote diagnostics, and determined the onboard modem was unresponsive. So I'm currently at a Ford dealer having them take a look at it. The service rep mentioned that he's seen this problem a few times before (on Ford vehicles in general), and thinks it may just be a software fix/refresh/reboot.

Will report results after getting the vehicle back.
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, Bill please let us know the results - actual fix and how it was corrected.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
After waiting 3 hours at the dealership, I was told that they don't know what's wrong (either the tech or Ford hotline rep). So dealer is going to order a new modem (TCU - Telematics Control Unit).

My understanding is that the standard procedure in this case is to reprogram the TCU using "As-Built-Data". However, when I initially had the FordPass support rep on the phone, they indicated they didn't have much data collected on my truck, assuming due to the TCU failing after only 34 miles.

Hopefully this will not be an issue after getting the new TCU. I'm also a bit concerned regarding the location of the TCU; I don't know for sure where it's located, but some online searching indicates it may be behind the second row seat back (I really don't want them to tear apart the dash to replace it!).

Will keep everyone posted as to how this progresses.

Last edited:

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Thx - wishing all works out.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Update...

Dealer has a new TCU on order. I was out of town for 10 days, so vehicle sat in my garage unused. Zone Lighting disabled per advice related to phantom battery drain issue. Get back in town, go to start the truck, dead as a doornail.

Tried charging it for 24 hours, still dead, and charger indicates battery status as "Very Weak / Discharged". Pull out my portable power pack charger, hook it up to the battery, electronics come alive and truck starts right up.

While it's running, I started going through all the settings to see if any of my changes were still there... It was a mixed bag.

BUT.... I noticed that under Settings | Connectivity | Connected Vehicle Features, the screen was accessible whereas before it was not (due to supposeded faulty TCU). My modem was back!

So I reactivated the FordPass app with the truck, it worked, and FordPass was once again connected to the truck and reporting live data.

It was as if the dead battery forced a hard boot / reset of the TCU, which brought it back to life.

My TCU replacement is supposed to arrive today (3/25). I called the service rep and updated them on the latest development, and am holding off on the replacement for now to see how the modem works over the next couple of weeks.

While the modem connectivity issue is annoying, my biggest concern is the significant battery drain if the vehicle sits for several days. The term "battery drain" may not even be the root issue; I've seen the term "Deep Sleep Mode" used several times, and am thinking it may be related to the dead battery issue. Not even sure of the purpose or intent of "Deep Sleep Mode", still researching / investigating.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
FWIW, modem is still working.

Billyboy01701

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, modem is still working.
Still working? Picked up my truck last week and am having the exact same issue regarding FordPass and mobile app projection. I have a service appointment scheduled for this Thursday but I’m considering disconnecting my battery for a few minutes to see if that helps reboot the modem.

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Still working? Picked up my truck last week and am having the exact same issue regarding FordPass and mobile app projection. I have a service appointment scheduled for this Thursday but I’m considering disconnecting my battery for a few minutes to see if that helps reboot the modem.
Were you able to "activate" your Fordpass or did it not even allow you to activate? I had the issue where it would not even show the activate button and you could not turn on the mobile app projection. There is another thread on that with the solution (requires a trip to dealership).
(1) Can't use Wireless CarPlay, FordPass, or Hotspot | F150gen14.com -- 2021+ Ford F-150, Lightning EV, Raptor Forum (14th Gen)

Good luck.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
After the dead battery restart event back on March 23, the modem worked. Not sure if it working again was related to essentially a hard reboot, but it seems likely it was.

So TCU worked just fine from March 23rd until May 20th, nearly 2 months. I noticed May 20th that FordPass stopped updating with vehicle stats, so I checked the Connectivity Settings in the truck, and received message that "settings are not available, please try again later". Several days of trying, still a no go as of May 31st.

I called the dealer and inquired about the TCU that was supposed to be ordered back in late March, still not in so he is going to investigate.

After nearly 2 months I really thought I was in the clear and had working modem, but that's not the case, and I'm not sure what causing the change from working to not working.

Around the same time as the TCU going dead, I noticed my configured gauges no longer are saved between ignition restarts. May be related...

In the meantime, I'm working if disconnecting the battery will help bring the TCU back to life, similar to what may have happened when my vehicle sat for 10 days and I had a dead battery.
Will post updates as I find out more.

75032Limited

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum & 2021 Limited
Were you able to "activate" your Fordpass or did it not even allow you to activate? I had the issue where it would not even show the activate button and you could not turn on the mobile app projection. There is another thread on that with the solution (requires a trip to dealership).
(1) Can't use Wireless CarPlay, FordPass, or Hotspot | F150gen14.com -- 2021+ Ford F-150, Lightning EV, Raptor Forum (14th Gen)

Good luck.
Thanks for the link. I've got the same issue and happy that there is a Fix. I'll have my dealer correct when I head in to get the wheel well liners :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Sometime in the past week my "connectivity services" came back online, and FordPass started updating again. It was not doing this for a couple weeks plus, don't know why, and don't know why it's back to working again. Seems flakey / intermittent.

Oh well...

jafo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Star white
sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. how do you reboot the truck so to speak. Is it enough to disconnect the 12V battery under the hood on a Powerboost or is there more?

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. how do you reboot the truck so to speak. Is it enough to disconnect the 12V battery under the hood on a Powerboost or is there more?
No idea... My onboard modem just seemed to come back to life on its own.

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Had the same problem and found one of the plugs on the TCU not inserted all the way. This would cause it to intermittently stop working and not be detected. The TCU is located on the passenger side/middle of the truck behind the back seats attached to the rear cab wall. I just removed all the connectors, made sure they weren’t broken and then reinserted them firmly. Haven’t had an issue since.

Fred Kaluza

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150
Occupation
Retired
Had the same problem and found one of the plugs on the TCU not inserted all the way. This would cause it to intermittently stop working and not be detected. The TCU is located on the passenger side/middle of the truck behind the back seats attached to the rear cab wall. I just removed all the connectors, made sure they weren’t broken and then reinserted them firmly. Haven’t had an issue since.
Sponsored