First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer
Love our '21 POWERBOOST but not ready to jump to a Lightning anytime soon. Live'n in flyover country here in the Midwest I don't think we'll be go'n all 'lectric anytime soon. What if you're involved in a 2 or 3 hour traffic delay due to an accident or a winter weather delay & your vehicle is just about ready for a charge. Are you up a creek without a paddle or you gonna be look'n around for a long extension cord? We're gonna stick with our PB F-150 & hope if we're stuck in a traffic jam that have'n gas in our tank, or @ least be'n able to mooch some gas from a fellow traveler, is easier than search'n for an extension cord.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
If youā€™re sitting I donā€™t think you would have any less rangeā€¦ once traffic clears you carry on and as long as you were in range to start with I bet you would still be in range. Itā€™s not like it has to idle or anything and all the accessories are a small fraction of the propulsion current.

That being said where I live I too am not ready for the lighting but weā€™re considering going electric for our secondary vehicleā€¦ maybe a MachE in a couple years.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If youā€™re sitting I donā€™t think you would have any less rangeā€¦ once traffic clears you carry on and as long as you were in range to start with I bet you would still be in range. Itā€™s not like it has to idle or anything and all the accessories are a small fraction of the propulsion current.

That being said where I live I too am not ready for the lighting but weā€™re considering going electric for our secondary vehicleā€¦ maybe a MachE in a couple years.
This exactly, a electric vehicle is far more efficient in a traffic jam scenario because you don't waste energy idling. EVs just get more efficient the slower you go.

Note: The exception to this is if you are very cold temps and need to keep the cabin heater running - that will pull battery power (but you also need to burn gas for heat).

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Love our '21 POWERBOOST but not ready to jump to a Lightning anytime soon. Live'n in flyover country here in the Midwest I don't think we'll be go'n all 'lectric anytime soon. What if you're involved in a 2 or 3 hour traffic delay due to an accident or a winter weather delay & your vehicle is just about ready for a charge. Are you up a creek without a paddle or you gonna be look'n around for a long extension cord? We're gonna stick with our PB F-150 & hope if we're stuck in a traffic jam that have'n gas in our tank, or @ least be'n able to mooch some gas from a fellow traveler, is easier than search'n for an extension cord.

C'mon Chief, you know better than that. If an EV is sitting in traffic it is not using juice whereas your gas truck is idling and burning fuel the whole time. You'll probably run out of gas first. :cool:

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Folksy tales aside (youā€™re in Illinois, OP, we arenā€™t folksy here! Also, Galena is awesome) Iā€™m very curious if tow-charging will work on the Lightnings like it does on the Rivians. It should, in theory. Standard kit may be tow cables instead of jumper cables.
Sponsored