• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

‘23 standard range Lariat

JTodd64

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Mach E
Just took delivery of a ‘23. When charging with the Ford charger the rate of charge fluctuates from 3-7.5 kWh. The same charger on my ‘23 MME charges a consistent 7kWh.
any insights?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Should be the same. Which charger?

Chriseberle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning SR Tesla Model X
Just took delivery of a ‘23. When charging with the Ford charger the rate of charge fluctuates from 3-7.5 kWh. The same charger on my ‘23 MME charges a consistent 7kWh.
any insights?
The problem is with the Ford Mobile Charger, it is junk. I had all sorts of issues with mine and bought a third party mobile charger and have not had a problem since. The Ford Mobile charger has internal temperature issues and will derate often because of it.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
So many factors could be at play. The MME more aggressively charges past 80%, the Lightning takes a lot more care to protect the battery. What SOC are you charging from and to? What's the outside temperature? When you say you are using the Ford charger, are you using the Ford Mobile Charger that came with the MME, the one that came with the Lighting, the Ford Charge Station, or the Ford Charge Station Pro?

IMO ditch the Ford Mobile Chargers, they're garbage. Get a Tesla mobile connector and either a Tesla Tap or an A2Z adapter (good deal when you buy both their AC and SuperCharger adapter together). And get a wall mounted charger, look at which ones your power company might be offering rebates on. My electric company covers almost half the cost of a wall mounted charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It sounds like something’s amiss in your charge port temperature sensing. If so, there should be codes stored.

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
The problem is with the Ford Mobile Charger, it is junk. I had all sorts of issues with mine and bought a third party mobile charger and have not had a problem since. The Ford Mobile charger has internal temperature issues and will derate often because of it.
I could not disagree more.

In my experience, the Ford mobile charger has worked well.
I was scared by all the crap posted about how bad they were ...
...and bought another charger as a back up before I received the FCSP ...

...both the back up and FCSP are still in the original shipping boxes!

My mobile charger -has in the past and- is currently working FLAWLESSLY ...

I monitor the charger (and whole house) with Emporia software and only notice that it registers about 12% more power consumption than indicated on the Ford application.
Emporia indicates the charge rate varies from 2.74 to 7.28 kw (maxed at 7.56 kw once).

JTodd64 ,your charge rate seems to be born out by my experience as well. It seems to depend upon just how much charge was used / left in the battery pack.

Perhaps my experience with the Ford mobile charger is temperature / climate ... or because I have it wired to 220VAC; it was connected to 110 for a very short period until I connected to 220?
I rarely go below 50% SOC and am regularly charging to 80%; last winter occasionally to 85% and only once to 100%.
It is an ER 2023 parked in an unheated garage.

Last edited:

Chriseberle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning SR Tesla Model X
I could not disagree more.

In my experience, the Ford mobile charger has worked well.
I was scared by all the crap posted about how bad they were ...
...and bought another charger as a back up before I received the FCSP ...

...both the back up and FCSP are still in the original shipping boxes!

My mobile charger -has in the past and- is currently working FLAWLESSLY ...

I monitor the charger (and whole house) with Emporia software and only notice that it registers about 12% more power consumption than indicated on the Ford application.
Emporia indicates the charge rate varies from 2.74 to 7.28 kw (maxed at 7.56 kw once).

JTodd64 ,your charge rate seems to be born out by my experience as well. It seems to depend upon just how much charge was used / left in the battery pack.

Perhaps my experience with the Ford mobile charger is temperature / climate ... or because I have it wired to 220VAC; it was connected to 110 for a very short period until I connected to 220?
I rarely go below 50% SOC and am regularly charging to 80%; last winter occasionally to 85% and only once to 100%.
It is an ER 2023 parked in an unheated garage.
If the charging space is warm 80 degree plus environment then the Ford Mobile Charger will derate, I also had it fry an 110v Extension cord. I just my Ford Mobile charger for camping on a 110v connection but would not advise using it on a 220v connection. For reference I have owned a Tesla since 2016 and I have charged it on a 220v connection via the Tesla Mobile connector and have never had a problem.

OP
OP

JTodd64

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Mach E
I’m on 220 VAC and have zero issues for almost a year with my MME. Steady 7kWh charge rate regardless of ambient temp or current SOC. Had my Lariat for 5 days and every time I charge it the rate varies during the charging cycle.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Chris-

With your Tesla experience, you should have expected a frying - problem with a 110 extension cord on your charger ... a properly sized breaker would have tripped.
What gauge was the cord?
For reference ... started in el engr (OSU - greetings) back in 1966 - but electricity still behaves the same!

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Carpenter
I concur with the travel charger being junk. Add to that a completely incompetent dealer, and you have my situation. Truck purchased in November, charger went out in January, and still remains unfixed. Luckily I purchased an aftermarket charger and it has been flawless.
Sponsored