• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

18s vs 20s for Max Tow

rtcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost 4x4
We have a Platinum with Max tow that came with 20 inch wheels. Once Fox comes out with updated suspension, I’m going to level the truck and put on some beefier tires. I prefer the look of 18” wheels, however I see Ford limits wheels with Max Tow to 20” or higher. I’ve seen discussion of it having to do with the larger brake rotors, however I see we have an 18” spare so it cant be a fit issue. Can someone explain the reason for the 20” wheels. For example is it a load or brake ventilation issue? We wont be doing any really heavy towing (probably max 6,000lb travel trailer) and I’ll be sure to get the right load rating wheels and tires. Does anyone think 18” wheels would be a bad idea for this type of occasional use?
Sponsored

Last edited:

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I don't believe the max tow calipers are any different than those on the standard tow packages. Heavier towing with less sidewall should help with the sway. I haven't got the truck yet but already talking to local tire shop to order in summer wheels and keep the factory for winter tires. We are waiting until the truck arrives so he can take a look and go with the same rated wheel, but I am going to stick with the 20s on our max tow.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I too have a Lariat with Max Tow and 18s.

OP
OP

rtcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all. So the Max Tow option states that it’s not available with several 17 and 18 inch wheels. I assumed that was across the board. Perhaps it just excludes certain wheels and not the sizes in general.

Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Also interested in swapping out the 20” wheels on my KR Max Tow for 18” wheels and beefier tires. I’ve heard 17’s don’t fit but that 18’s will, but I’ve also heard it’s best to stick with the wheel size that came stock.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
It just depends on the wheel (not tire) ratings that Ford is offering from the factory for F-150, not related to what you can purchase aftermarket.

The HDPP (heavy duty payload pkg) is ONLY avail (I believe) with (specific) 18" wheels from Ford. So in fact, that Ford 18" wheel has the highest load factor of all the wheels.

Also for HDPP and Max Tow the rear Rotor size is beefier and the Swept area is bigger, so yes rear brakes are different, but yes 18" wheels fit.

From table below you can see the 18" that are called out for HDPP (at 2400lb rating per wheel).

Also in the 20" you can see they range from 2083lb to 2249lb rating.
Ford F-150 Lightning 18s vs 20s for Max Tow Screenshot 2021-05-17 120213

OP
OP

rtcage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It just depends on the wheel (not tire) ratings that Ford is offering from the factory for F-150, not related to what you can purchase aftermarket.

The HDPP (heavy duty payload pkg) is ONLY avail (I believe) with (specific) 18" wheels from Ford. So in fact, that Ford 18" wheel has the highest load factor of all the wheels.

Also for HDPP and Max Tow the rear Rotor size is beefier and the Swept area is bigger, so yes rear brakes are different, but yes 18" wheels fit.

From table below you can see the 18" that are called out for HDPP (at 2400lb rating per wheel).

Also in the 20" you can see they range from 2083lb to 2249lb rating.
Screenshot 2021-05-17 120213.jpg
Very helpful. Thank you!

85Mustangman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Supercab/ 6.5 box, 2.7, 302A, Antimatter
Occupation
Retired
I don't believe the max tow calipers are any different than those on the standard tow packages. Heavier towing with less sidewall should help with the sway. I haven't got the truck yet but already talking to local tire shop to order in summer wheels and keep the factory for winter tires. We are waiting until the truck arrives so he can take a look and go with the same rated wheel, but I am going to stick with the 20s on our max tow.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/
Interesting approach... re keeping the factories for winter use. My tire guy is a former neighbour and we talked about this very topic. He got his 21 Lariat in Feb and immediately changed for beefier tires on his stock 20's. He showed me his old ones which came with and ill tell you, what they are passing off as AT is really lame... basically street treads.

I included the 275/60 R20 OWL AT plus chrome like PVD wheels on my build. When i told him he said look here and showed me his old ones which came with his and ill tell you, what they are passing off as AT is really lame... basically street treads.

I'm Planning on keeping the factories for summer and looking at a second set with a more aggressive tread for winter. (I don't plan on doing any mudding or heavy off-roading though)

Not sure what you ordered with yours for wheels and tires but i would be keen to know your thoughts when you get your truck.

Seavee33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 F-150, Ordered 2021 Lariat
Occupation
Electrician/ Project Manager
my lariat has max tow with 18s

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Interesting approach... re keeping the factories for winter use. My tire guy is a former neighbour and we talked about this very topic. He got his 21 Lariat in Feb and immediately changed for beefier tires on his stock 20's. He showed me his old ones which came with and ill tell you, what they are passing off as AT is really lame... basically street treads.

I included the 275/60 R20 OWL AT plus chrome like PVD wheels on my build. When i told him he said look here and showed me his old ones which came with his and ill tell you, what they are passing off as AT is really lame... basically street treads.

I'm Planning on keeping the factories for summer and looking at a second set with a more aggressive tread for winter. (I don't plan on doing any mudding or heavy off-roading though)

Not sure what you ordered with yours for wheels and tires but i would be keen to know your thoughts when you get your truck.
Maybe I wrote that wrong. ? Wheels will be used for winters. Tires will be kept for summer and put on new wheels. Wife had RTX black widow on her Atlas, but tire shop does not think they will come with the same rating.

Here is our old summer and winter setup. Blizzak dm-v2 were awesome winter tires on the Atlas.

Ford F-150 Lightning 18s vs 20s for Max Tow Screenshot_20210509-181223_Instagram
Sponsored