• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

46kWh at 60Mph on flat highway... Normal ?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
for an ev I think energy/mile.
Maybe it is because of the Lightning’s battery capacity, but I much more prefer the mi/kWh. Since I have the ER generally I have 100kW of usable battery, so it is very easy to see I am averaging 2.3 mi/kWh and know I have about 230 miles. Where 435 Watts/mile is less “easy”. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Reactions: cal

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Just to make sure we are talking apples and apples here, your precondtioning is setting a departure time, plugged into 240v, correct?
Correct. The two things that could make a difference (1) It is warmer in my late afternoon/evening commute than when I drive early in the morning (2) perhaps I have slightly more "downhill" driving on the way home, but the Garden State Parkway is fairly flat.

On my commute, my Lightning consistently "consumes" about 15% of the SOC. Commute is 37 miles and 15% is 19.65 kWh, and that calculates out to 1.88 mi/kwH. Have tried to slow it down below 70 mph, which is difficult to do on the Garden State Parkway, and really unnecessary since the commute is only 37 miles.

OP
OP

WeedmanU

First Name
Manu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2023 ext.
Occupation
Cie owne

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
There are three options under “General” for how you want efficiency reported.
In Canada, for a very long time now, fuel efficiency has typically been expressed in L/100km (litres used per 100km driven). It is opposite of MPG, but is more precise than a single digit with one decimal place rounded.
Same in Australia. It's actually subtly measuring two different things. One is measuring efficiency, the other is measuring range.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
So it's normal? To simplify, whatever the conversion whit an extended battery at 60mph I'm able to make 160 miles total . 110 miles at 75Mph
In no way was I referring to your situation. Just trying to help people see the different ways that efficiency is displayed. I'm not able to respond on if it's normal or not. I don't live in a place that gets nearly that cold. What I can do is run a few factors that have been observed.

1. EVs don't like cold. 4C will cut about 1/3rd of the total capacity out of most batteries, the F150L actually handles cold a bit better and only seems to loose 25%. The car won't show you this in lower battery capacity, but will instead display it as lower efficiency.
    1. 320 x 0.75 = 240 miles
  2. The heater in the Lightning is not great from my understanding. The AC is actually less impactful on range. I don't have a figure for that, but I think using a decent amount of heat could explain maybe another 15-20% cut to your range.
  3. The EPA range test is shit for comparing highway driving to. It's a "mixed use" test and does half at 55MPH or something like that, and half in stop and go. EVs with regenerative brakes do really well in stop and go.
I would have thought this was low, but the more I consider it, yeah, this might be normal for those temps.
Sponsored