48 amp mobile charger contact connection to old three prong outlet

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning
I have an old style 50 amp 240V circuit with two poles and a ground. Can I use an adapter to connect my four prong mobile charger to this or swap out the three prong outlet for a four prong outlet?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I am not an electrician, but I would avoid an adapter, this is a lot of juice for such a failure point. I think you should be able to swap in a NEMA 14-50 if everything is properly wired. As per many other warnings, you get what you pay for with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a ~$100 one from Home Depot is going to fry, spend upwards of $300 for a good commercial grade outlet.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Exactly what spear said. No, you don’t need a neutral, and a three wire connection is all that’s needed. But that’s a lot of amps. Any loose connection will melt with the possibility of fire. Just remove it and use a single quality outlet. If you use it regularly it’s a must.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
For the record, there is no mobile EVSE with a 14-50 plug/cordset that should be able to charge at 48A (in the thread's title). I suspect you mean 40A, which is 80% of a 50A circuit for the continuous load that is represented by EV charging.

50A breaker+properly sized conductors+quality industrial/commercial 50A rated receptacle= maximum 40A charging
Sponsored