• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone towing horse trailers? Euro vs US style

danate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
I'm in the market for a 2 horse BP trailer and I've noticed that you can get the euro-style light towing trailers here fairly easily. Our use case is mostly local towing within a 100 miles for shows and trail riding. Our horses are pretty good with loading, though I've never really used a straight load trailer before.

The one I'm looking at is a Sirius (https://siriustrailersnorthamerica.com/sirius-horse-trailers) and comes in under 2000 pounds in most cases. They tend to be narrow and tall and claim they are designed to "break the vacuum" created by most rectangular trailers to make them easier to pull. Their other big appeal is the hand brake and lighter weight should they need to be unhitched to get to a DC fast charger.

I'm wondering what effect these trailers would have on range compared to a standard 2h boxy slant load trailer (that weighs twice as much).
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I haven't towed any horses with my lightning but after decades of hauling horses I can tell you that the weight will be the most influential factor. The trailer you linked looks slightly more aero than a classic 2h bp so you might see a little better efficiency but at the end of the day that drag still increases exponentially with speed.

Just make sure your horses are going to fit in it as it seems to be on the smaller side.

Aluminium trailers are great for weight savings but also less durable. Featherlight made some real garbage that were actually dangerous for the animals if they got spooked or freaked out inside so buyer beware.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I'm in the market for a 2 horse BP trailer and I've noticed that you can get the euro-style light towing trailers here fairly easily. Our use case is mostly local towing within a 100 miles for shows and trail riding. Our horses are pretty good with loading, though I've never really used a straight load trailer before.

The one I'm looking at is a Sirius (https://siriustrailersnorthamerica.com/sirius-horse-trailers) and comes in under 2000 pounds in most cases. They tend to be narrow and tall and claim they are designed to "break the vacuum" created by most rectangular trailers to make them easier to pull. Their other big appeal is the hand brake and lighter weight should they need to be unhitched to get to a DC fast charger.

I'm wondering what effect these trailers would have on range compared to a standard 2h boxy slant load trailer (that weighs twice as much).
Please be aware that Great Britain switched about 2+ decades ago from the imperial (2 inch) tow ball to the EU metric 50mm tow ball on their tow ball & coupler systems. The difference between the two tow ball sizes is only 0.8 mm (the EU tow ball is the smaller one). They had a transition period for this switch and both tow systems were in use, until they weren't.

For a while, with my previous car I towed a US camper trailer with the EU tow ball as that was the only Ford-sold tow system available for that car. The US SAE-spec coupler fit just fine with zero problems on that EU-spec two ball for about 6,000 miles. That camper trailer's dry weight was only about 1,500 pounds. I now use the Max Coupler tow system with the Lightning.

A search of older British internet links for towing accident stories relating to their switch between the two tow ball systems back then shows a few, apocryphal (no real proof) stories that mix & matching may have contributed to several towing accidents... just be aware. From the older stories I found it was unclear which mix & match side (tow ball / coupler) was the EU-spec side and which was the older imperial-spec side... Anyway, .08mm is a tiny diameter difference.

Of course this British horse trailer, if marketed for sale in North America, might already be equipped with a North American SAE-spec coupler, and if so this would be a moot point. Hope this info is useful for your decisions.
Sponsored