• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Back Charging my Lightning using pro-power ports

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Part of me still wondered if this is a joke/troll.

Once again, no there is no means by which you can hotwire a few solar panels directly into the battery. That is not how anything works. The fact that you use double male extension death cords to backfeed your hose with a generator is very telling. My recommendation is stop trying to kill yourself and other with ridiculous electrical hacks.
Every Great Leap Forward looked like a ridiculous hack to a majority of the people. Ridicule is always a good sign that real progress is being made.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thread title fixed.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've mulled over, and calculated to infinity, the idea of trying to be 'off-grid' with EV charging... but, I've come to the same end-conclusion each time:

it's too costly. Solar is expensive. Electricians ain't cheap. A battery bank ain't either.
it's too much work. Solar panels and equipment installations aren't 'easy'.
it's unreliable. The sun is not consistent.
it's too much room on the roof or in the yard. Shade doesn't help, either.
it's too much additional equipment. DC Solar output can't go directly to an EV.
it's too much future maintenance.

it's too much headache.
it just doesn't make 'practical' sense.

now, if you don't have ANY options for grid power, then, well, that's a different story - but I'll bet that those in that situation probably aren't going to be EV owners, either.

Solar power is not a good Compatible power option for the very HIGH amperage and LONG TERM CONSISTENT output that EV's require.
Sponsored