• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Back Charging my Lightning using pro-power ports

OP
OP

whatsagrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Part of me still wondered if this is a joke/troll.

Once again, no there is no means by which you can hotwire a few solar panels directly into the battery. That is not how anything works. The fact that you use double male extension death cords to backfeed your hose with a generator is very telling. My recommendation is stop trying to kill yourself and other with ridiculous electrical hacks.
Every Great Leap Forward looked like a ridiculous hack to a majority of the people. Ridicule is always a good sign that real progress is being made.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thread title fixed.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've mulled over, and calculated to infinity, the idea of trying to be 'off-grid' with EV charging... but, I've come to the same end-conclusion each time:

it's too costly. Solar is expensive. Electricians ain't cheap. A battery bank ain't either.
it's too much work. Solar panels and equipment installations aren't 'easy'.
it's unreliable. The sun is not consistent.
it's too much room on the roof or in the yard. Shade doesn't help, either.
it's too much additional equipment. DC Solar output can't go directly to an EV.
it's too much future maintenance.

it's too much headache.
it just doesn't make 'practical' sense.

now, if you don't have ANY options for grid power, then, well, that's a different story - but I'll bet that those in that situation probably aren't going to be EV owners, either.

Solar power is not a good Compatible power option for the very HIGH amperage and LONG TERM CONSISTENT output that EV's require.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
So your attitude is just keep asking the same question with slightly different words until someone tells you what you want to hear. The problem is what you want to hear is not possible. That is not the fault of people telling you no. That is the fault of you wanting to do something that isn't possible.

Sponsored

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m ok with charging while the truck is in park for now. The regen braking charges the truck while moving so it’s not a physics law that makes it impossible. Also the new Ram EV Truck has an onboard generator that charges the truck while moving.

If we ignore the limits of solar for now and focus on what I want, which is a secondary charging port on the truck then it is feasible to consider putting a generator in the bed of the truck and using it as a range extender. I could burn biodiesel and stop at restaurants to get their used cooking oil maybe more effectively than installing solar panels for the next decade until the solar tech catches up. I could pull a wood burning steam engine if I wanted to drive to Alaska. Last I looked there is plenty of wood there.

Every EV is a serial hybrid. The only difference between them is whether power is onboard or offboard. In the case of a Tesla the power is generated from the grid. In the new Ram EV truck the power is generated onboard. There is going to be a revolution in alternative power sources from mini nuclear to campsite steam engines etc and I want to modify my truck to get ahead of the curve.

I dont know that anyone has said that its impossible to do. BUT - lots of things are possible that just dont make sense and arent going to happen, for whatever reason.

For example - Its not physically impossible for you to build a rocket in your backyard to send a satellite to orbit, but realistically, it isnt going to happen for an entire myriad of reasons.

You can continue to imply or even state flat out that we're all too simple minded, and not visionary enough to see the possibilities, and it might make you feel better but it doesn't change the reality.

A current model Ford Lightning will NEVER charge while it drives. Not because physics make it impossible, but because it was literally designed and engineered to not do that. It would require making changes to the HW and SW to not just make it do something it wasn't designed to do, but to do something that it was expressly designed not to do. It would be easier, cheaper, and faster to just buy an old truck, pull the entire drivetrain out, and build your own electric truck from scratch - motors, battery, charge controllers, SW, etc.

The cost and level of effort to make a Lightning do this would be so ridiculous that it would make more sense if you want that capability to buy the Ram that you were referring to that is designed from scratch to do what you want, or if you've recently won a $10M+ lottery and don't have anything better to do with the money, you could just design and engineer exactly what you want.

In any case...... Good luck! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Every Great Leap Forward looked like a ridiculous hack to a majority of the people. Ridicule is always a good sign that real progress is being made.
Oh sweet summer child. Because something successful was ridiculed does not mean that something ridiculed will be successful, it could also just be dumb. Telling folks you will fly by jumping off your house holding a bedsheet will get you ridiculed, and its certainly not because you invented a new way of flying.

This is like the folks that think that because many times hearing something true that you don't like is upsetting, then that saying upsetting must mean it is true. No, you could also just be a complete and utter jerk.

10 divided by 5 is not the same as 5 divided by 10. Dont think that because something works one way it also works the other.

I believe this is called "confusion of the inverse" within the realm of logic fallacies.
Sponsored

Last edited: