• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Built in phone charging.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I think Samsung phones and mapping apps are thirsty. Also the charger/phone location is bad - hidden below the dash while the phone is searching for cell towers and GPS satellites. On the dash in the sun is also not good.

I ran Android Auto, google maps and music on my S21 Ultra while using the charge pad for a road trip. After about 3 hrs. the phone got so hot the battery expanded and cracked the case open. Phone kept working through the week.

The repairman said that charging on pads increases the stress on the batteries / phones and I should use the USB as well as the original chargers provided by Samsung, not aftermarket ones. The S21 Ultra Replacement battery was only $50 but I don't think the phone is waterproof anymore.

I got a new iPhone 15 just for the truck and it also gets warm on the magnetic charger while only running Apple Maps (which are pretty good now) or Google Maps. I have not tried the iPhone on a long trip yet. The iPhone seems to be "less warm" plugged in and placed partly in the slot behind the large screen, but that may be a placebo effect since I want it to be cooler. Hard to tell since the large screen gets really hot, so now I am dropping it in the narrow slot in the console.
Sponsored

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
The ford charging pads get really hot. I charge mi iPhone 15 exclusively on wireless charging and it only gets warm. The home charger is MagSafe. Not sure about the TWRAPS I posted above, but it also only gets warm.
I have had no gps/network issues in either the Mache or the lightning.

nodoubleg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜15 Jeep JKU, ā€˜89 E-250, ā€˜98 Dodge Ram 2500
Iā€™ve been contemplating how to delete the built-in Ford charger. Not sure if thereā€™s extra room in that compartment with it removed, but Iā€™d prefer extra room for the usual junk that gets tossed in there (such a handy spot!) than have a phone buried in the back in there.

Iā€™ve seen various MagSafe mounts out there that use the slots in the rear of that bin to hold the phone at the back of the bin, or slightly above the center console.

for now, I either use a MagSafe cord thatā€™s plugged into the USB-C plugs under the arm rest, or I plug directly into the USB-C plug under the big screen.

Iā€™ve also been thinking of adding one or two 12v-based USB-C PD ports to the truck. I added them to my travel trailer, and not using wall-warts to charge laptops, tablets, Noco jump pack, or even run my soldering iron has been awesome. I figure Iā€™d drive those off the 12V ā€œcigarette lighterā€ circuit thatā€™s available for the back seat.

I wish Ford made the USB-C ports have a little bit more jam to them than just 15W.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Iā€™ve been contemplating how to delete the built-in Ford charger. Not sure if thereā€™s extra room in that compartment with it removed, but Iā€™d prefer extra room for the usual junk that gets tossed in there (such a handy spot!) than have a phone buried in the back in there.

Iā€™ve seen various MagSafe mounts out there that use the slots in the rear of that bin to hold the phone at the back of the bin, or slightly above the center console.

for now, I either use a MagSafe cord thatā€™s plugged into the USB-C plugs under the arm rest, or I plug directly into the USB-C plug under the big screen.

Iā€™ve also been thinking of adding one or two 12v-based USB-C PD ports to the truck. I added them to my travel trailer, and not using wall-warts to charge laptops, tablets, Noco jump pack, or even run my soldering iron has been awesome. I figure Iā€™d drive those off the 12V ā€œcigarette lighterā€ circuit thatā€™s available for the back seat.

I wish Ford made the USB-C ports have a little bit more jam to them than just 15W.
XLT doesn't have the charger, and it really opens up that bin. I just have a cord in that USB plug and I stick my phone sideways in that slot between the shifter and the cup holders usually.
Sponsored