• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CDK Ransomeware Causing Dealer issues

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
Is anyone else having problems getting service or parts? Mine has been in the Bodyshop for over a week now waiting on parts from someone sideswiping me a couple of weeks ago. ( Side note Fitcam X to the rescue and proved the other driver's fault)

The body shop informed me that the running board and door seals needed they don't know when they can get them as the Ford dealer can't place parts or service orders due to the order system being down. Reading up it looks like this affects more than 15,000 Auto dealers with no resolution date yet.

CDK said they would pay the ransom in the Millions
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Even if they pay the ransom, it can take a week or two for them to contact and negotiate the ransom with the cyber terrorists since they are often over seas in a different time zone and in no hurry to help their victims. Even then, once they have the private encryption key, it can take weeks to decrypt each individual file across all the systems affected and then bring the systems back online. To further complicate things, the ransomware doesn't always just stop at discrete text file encryption. It often encrypts parts of files along with binaries and user configurations. Some of these things aren't recoverable and have to be manually recreated in order to bring the system back to the state it was in prior to being ransomed.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Had a short discussion with a dealer neighbor:
I'm pretty surprised how tightly wound into this software so many dealers are...and that there seems to be no alternative (yet) to this *very sexy* business.
They are working "pencil and paper" and selectively allowing folks to take a care at the moment. I didn't even get into the mx side of things.
My neighbor thinks smaller dealer will have cash flow problems and have to sell.

BriRi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Had my Lightning in the shop for routine service and software upgrades and BMS replacement etc. Took it in the day everything went down. They were able to replace and fix everything however couldn't print an invoice etc because of the software being down. Everything is working fine in my truck. Dealer is still without software access however.

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I tried to make an appointment to get my wife's Toyota Crown oil changed and they can't even do that right now. They had to put my name on a list to call once they get back up.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Act of WAR .... IMHO..........

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I know some of our forum members are in the industry and will have some insight here. Are there even non-CDK options for dealers to use? When I bought my truck, I wanted to buy a set of Pro wheels with it for snow tires. The part number wasn't in CDK's system yet so I couldn't order it. We deferred that part of the transaction to delivery day. But when the truck showed up in June '22, the part still wasn't in CDK's system. Almost no Lightning-specific parts were. I asked the general manager what he'd do if a truck actually came in with shipping damage requiring a replacement part (mine had a scuff right near one taillight but fortunately the lens was fine) and he said he had been worrying about that himself.

So are there alternatives? Can dealers using them (if they exist) still function? Or does every dealer and every customer out there just have to wait and suffer?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I know some of our forum members are in the industry and will have some insight here. Are there even non-CDK options for dealers to use? When I bought my truck, I wanted to buy a set of Pro wheels with it for snow tires. The part number wasn't in CDK's system yet so I couldn't order it. We deferred that part of the transaction to delivery day. But when the truck showed up in June '22, the part still wasn't in CDK's system. Almost no Lightning-specific parts were. I asked the general manager what he'd do if a truck actually came in with shipping damage requiring a replacement part (mine had a scuff right near one taillight but fortunately the lens was fine) and he said he had been worrying about that himself.

So are there alternatives? Can dealers using them (if they exist) still function? Or does every dealer and every customer out there just have to wait and suffer?
There are other systems, but CDK is the most widely-used.
Dealers on non-CDK seem to be operating just fine.

But it’s a big (and expensive) task to convert from one software system to another. And it’s nearly impossible to do when all of your legacy data is held captive and thus unable to be converted into the new system.