• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!]

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Am I the only one having difficulty trying to move the spring enough to allow insertion of the coin? I’ve tried every tip suggested, but just can’t seem to get it dislodged
I took another members tip and used lockgrip pliers to pull it up.
Sponsored

techmatters

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
I did this method last April '23 and wondering if anyone else has had it done for a while and still experiencing good results? I feel like it's starting to get a bit droopy again and wondering if people have had to put more spacers in or if maybe there's another way to tighten the springs.

They seem pretty tight now wedging coins in between so I'm not sure how much more I can squeeze in there. So annoying trying to get anything out of the console while trying to hold it open at the same time, especially if you're already leaning somewhat downhill.

I've thinking of 3d printing a little bit thicker single piece that can slide in easier than continuing to wedge coins in there. Not sure how well a solid piece of plastic will perform though.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I did this method last April '23 and wondering if anyone else has had it done for a while and still experiencing good results? I feel like it's starting to get a bit droopy again and wondering if people have had to put more spacers in or if maybe there's another way to tighten the springs.

They seem pretty tight now wedging coins in between so I'm not sure how much more I can squeeze in there. So annoying trying to get anything out of the console while trying to hold it open at the same time, especially if you're already leaning somewhat downhill.

I've thinking of 3d printing a little bit thicker single piece that can slide in easier than continuing to wedge coins in there. Not sure how well a solid piece of plastic will perform though.
Springs wear out, that's a given, I doubt there's a better solution than to just keep stuffing spacers in there until someone makes an aftermarket spring. IMO plastic isn't going to last long with this much pressure on such a small point. I would think that a thicker piece of metal is a better idea than just stacking coins though.

DaGriff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Plumber
I finally did this mod, repair, fix, whatever you want yo call it. I used a aluminum wire crimp, 4mm thick. Slightly thicker than 2 canadian nickels. Used a hook to pry the spring up and a long thin rod to slide the spacer in to place. Didn’t need to take the plastic shroud off. Thanks for the the tips and the guide. Now there is enough tension to hold the lid open open quite securely. (y)
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 7293A9FB-899C-4D72-9A16-54FA869A4264
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 400ADE58-D481-4B5E-8699-1A14EBDEE55F
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] 0B1E9C42-FA40-4B89-90A4-992C690829F2

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
For the life of me, I could not get ANYTHING under neath the tangs of those springs, Pick tool, bent screw driver, Wood chisel tip, nothing. The needle nose vice grips did the trick, thank you!

Sponsored

Tclark5

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
So I just wanna preface this by saying this simple yet genius solution was not my idea but rather sourced directly from the F150 14th Gen forum. Now that being said let's get into.

The Problem
The center console compartment door will barely stay up, if at all. If you're on anything but even, level ground, just forget it. That bad boy is slamming closed on your hand if you're not doing the elbow center console equivalent of the M1 Garand palm heel reload. The problem seems to be a lack of suffcient spring tension. For whatever reason whether it was poor design, bad supplier inventory or poor manufacturing tolerances and quality control, there isn't enough spring force to keep the door of the center console open.

The Solution
This solution is both remarkably simple and remarkably genius. Now although removal of the internal trim panel isnt required, it does greatly aid in the process as it increases the amount of access you have to the ends of the springs. But let's get into it:
Tools/Materials needed:
- Plastic trim removal tool
- Metal plastic retention retainer removal tool
- Four nickels

1. Open the center console.
2. Working carefully using a trim removal tool, remove the trim panel located right below the hinge on the inside of the compartment. (Optional, but I recommend it for better access)
3. Now with better direct access to the hinge, locate the exposed ends of the springs.
4. Using your hooked metal plastic retainer removal too, gently lift up one of the spring ends and slip two nickels under it. Hold the nickels in place while slowly releasing the spring until the spring pressure is firmly holding them in place. Repeat for the other spring.
5. Replace the plastic trim you removed previously (if you did)
6. Enjoy a center console that finally isn't plagued with impotent spring tension ;)

20230207_183523.jpg

20230207_183533.jpg

20230207_184447.jpg
Thanks for the great idea!

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
So I just wanna preface this by saying this simple yet genius solution was not my idea but rather sourced directly from the F150 14th Gen forum. Now that being said let's get into.

The Problem
The center console compartment door will barely stay up, if at all. If you're on anything but even, level ground, just forget it. That bad boy is slamming closed on your hand if you're not doing the elbow center console equivalent of the M1 Garand palm heel reload. The problem seems to be a lack of suffcient spring tension. For whatever reason whether it was poor design, bad supplier inventory or poor manufacturing tolerances and quality control, there isn't enough spring force to keep the door of the center console open.

The Solution
This solution is both remarkably simple and remarkably genius. Now although removal of the internal trim panel isnt required, it does greatly aid in the process as it increases the amount of access you have to the ends of the springs. But let's get into it:
Tools/Materials needed:
- Plastic trim removal tool
- Metal plastic retention retainer removal tool
- Four nickels

1. Open the center console.
2. Working carefully using a trim removal tool, remove the trim panel located right below the hinge on the inside of the compartment. (Optional, but I recommend it for better access)
3. Now with better direct access to the hinge, locate the exposed ends of the springs.
4. Using your hooked metal plastic retainer removal too, gently lift up one of the spring ends and slip two nickels under it. Hold the nickels in place while slowly releasing the spring until the spring pressure is firmly holding them in place. Repeat for the other spring.
5. Replace the plastic trim you removed previously (if you did)
6. Enjoy a center console that finally isn't plagued with impotent spring tension ;)

20230207_183523.jpg

20230207_183533.jpg

20230207_184447.jpg
Worked perfectly! I even tried a couple different shims, nothing fit better than the nickels! Thanks!

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I never bothered to make any modifications to fix this problem but I just noticed the console stays open on it’s own now!

Must have been fixed by an OTA 😜
Sponsored