• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!]

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
So I just wanna preface this by saying this simple yet genius solution was not my idea but rather sourced directly from the F150 14th Gen forum. Now that being said let's get into.

The Problem
The center console compartment door will barely stay up, if at all. If you're on anything but even, level ground, just forget it. That bad boy is slamming closed on your hand if you're not doing the elbow center console equivalent of the M1 Garand palm heel reload. The problem seems to be a lack of suffcient spring tension. For whatever reason whether it was poor design, bad supplier inventory or poor manufacturing tolerances and quality control, there isn't enough spring force to keep the door of the center console open.

20230207_184447.jpg
thank you very much.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I just saw this fix on Tom Moloughney's 15k mile review. I can't wait to try it! One of the few true annoyances I've encountered in this truck.
I did this fix right after posting here. It worked perfectly with two nickels per spring. My console door would not stay up at all prior to this, now it holds in the open position with no issue.

Honestly, it's totally baffling Ford hasn't fixed this, especially since it's an ICE F-150 issue as well.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Will Canadian nickles work or do they have to be US? 😜

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
I had better luck with vice grips compared to a hook. Your mileage may very.

This was the key for me! Couldn't get anything under the spring tangs to pry up. Vice grip worked great! Could hold it Open while sliding the nickels in place. And now the lid seems to be fine.

Sponsored

surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER order. 23 Taycan 4CT, 04 E 320 wagon
Man I love the internet. Got the panel off in 10 seconds prying the edges with a flat head screwdriver. Used vice grips. I’m in and out of that console all day for work and it was making me f’ing crazy. THANKS.
Ford F-150 Lightning Center Console Door FLOPPY NO MORE! [$0.20 SOLUTION!!] IMG_0485

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Man I love the internet. Got the panel off in 10 seconds prying the edges with a flat head screwdriver. Used vice grips. I’m in and out of that console all day for work and it was making me f’ing crazy. THANKS.
IMG_0485.jpeg
Glad to hear it worked!!

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
So I just wanna preface this by saying this simple yet genius solution was not my idea but rather sourced directly from the F150 14th Gen forum. Now that being said let's get into.

The Problem
The center console compartment door will barely stay up, if at all. If you're on anything but even, level ground, just forget it. That bad boy is slamming closed on your hand if you're not doing the elbow center console equivalent of the M1 Garand palm heel reload. The problem seems to be a lack of suffcient spring tension. For whatever reason whether it was poor design, bad supplier inventory or poor manufacturing tolerances and quality control, there isn't enough spring force to keep the door of the center console open.

The Solution
This solution is both remarkably simple and remarkably genius. Now although removal of the internal trim panel isnt required, it does greatly aid in the process as it increases the amount of access you have to the ends of the springs. But let's get into it:
Tools/Materials needed:
- Plastic trim removal tool
- Metal plastic retention retainer removal tool
- Four nickels

1. Open the center console.
2. Working carefully using a trim removal tool, remove the trim panel located right below the hinge on the inside of the compartment. (Optional, but I recommend it for better access)
3. Now with better direct access to the hinge, locate the exposed ends of the springs.
4. Using your hooked metal plastic retainer removal too, gently lift up one of the spring ends and slip two nickels under it. Hold the nickels in place while slowly releasing the spring until the spring pressure is firmly holding them in place. Repeat for the other spring.
5. Replace the plastic trim you removed previously (if you did)
6. Enjoy a center console that finally isn't plagued with impotent spring tension ;)

20230207_183523.jpg

20230207_183533.jpg

20230207_184447.jpg
now how exactly do you pry the plastic valance out with that mystery tool and can I get by with just a screw driver instead? I am afraid that I may break plastic and ruin it.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
IMG_0485.jpeg
please tell me how to pry it out with a flat head screw driver without breaking plastic

Sponsored

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Thank you will try it

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
finally had some nice weather to get this console fix done. works much better than before but frankly still not what I was hoping for. it will still fall down but gentler than before.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
finally had some nice weather to get this console fix done. works much better than before but frankly still not what I was hoping for. it will still fall down but gentler than before.
Try 3 nickles under each :ROFLMAO:

Or just something a bit thicker. I have seat covers that also have a cover over this lid. I used a quarter and a nickle cause I didn't have 4 nickles. With weight of the cover on, it's perfect, with the cover off, it's a bit too much spring. So maybe even just an extra dime's worth of thickness is what you need.

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Am I the only one having difficulty trying to move the spring enough to allow insertion of the coin? I’ve tried every tip suggested, but just can’t seem to get it dislodged

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
Am I the only one having difficulty trying to move the spring enough to allow insertion of the coin? I’ve tried every tip suggested, but just can’t seem to get it dislodged
I certainly did at first, but the needle nose vice grips method did the trick. The tips grabbed on and clamped just enough to allow a second person sitting in the other seat to slide in two coins on each side. I was was parked on a slope pointed down which didnt help at all at first, but now it works great. Three coins each side was too much and made it hard to close, two is good.
Sponsored