• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Considering an Auxiliary Battery Installation to Run a set of Dash Cams?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone considered or perhaps has completed a similar project?

In order to avoid any issues that might arise from adding an additional load to the current LVB, I’m thinking about doing a separate isolated installation of a 12v system to operate my dash cam system in the Lightning.

Hoping someone might have already done something similar.

I’m planning to use a smaller sized mower or ATV type battery that I can use a trickle charger to charge periodically.

The vast majority of my driving is done within 50-60 miles of home so usage will be minimal on a trip by trip bases.

Since it won’t be linked through an in truck auxiliary fuse, I’m looking to use a motion/proximity sensor to automatically activate the system when I’m in the drivers set and turn off when I’m not.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
why not just use the built-in power that is already there: your outlets?
Adapters are also easy to find for your 12v devices

although if you are thinking of 'constant' power, such as power even when you are not in the truck, which would require the truck to remain 'ON' for the outlets to work, that's a different situation.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
A dashcam is generally 0.5A or so, so I wouldn't worry about plugging a camera into the cigarette lighter outlet or even use one of the USB ports if you have a camera that can be powered that way and all you care about is recording while driving.
0.5A is nothing and I'm sure you wouldn't refrain from using any of the stock gizmos (heated steering wheel, seats, etc.) out of concern for the 12V battery.

The downside is that it won't have any power when your vehicle is off / parked.

I ended up getting a dashcam battery because I wanted to be able to record when parked.
Yes, they're very expensive for what they are, ie. "fancy battery bank", but I didn't feel like messing around too much with a DYI solution.

The alternatives would be a 12v ups (intended for in home routers etc) a normal battery bank, or a backup battery for 12v coolers.
My main concern with any of these options would be the cabin heat on a hot summer day

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
why not just use the built-in power that is already there: your outlets?
Adapters are also easy to find for your 12v devices

although if you are thinking of 'constant' power, such as power even when you are not in the truck, which would require the truck to remain 'ON' for the outlets to work, that's a different situation.
Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
A dashcam is generally 0.5A or so, so I wouldn't worry about plugging a camera into the cigarette lighter outlet or even use one of the USB ports if you have a camera that can be powered that way and all you care about is recording while driving.
0.5A is nothing and I'm sure you wouldn't refrain from using any of the stock gizmos (heated steering wheel, seats, etc.) out of concern for the 12V battery.

The downside is that it won't have any power when your vehicle is off / parked.

I ended up getting a dashcam battery because I wanted to be able to record when parked.
Yes, they're very expensive for what they are, ie. "fancy battery bank", but I didn't feel like messing around too much with a DYI solution.

The alternatives would be a 12v ups (intended for in home routers etc) a normal battery bank, or a backup battery for 12v coolers.
My main concern with any of these options would be the cabin heat on a hot summer day
Thanks for your reply. You’re probably right and I’m just being too sensitive to the LVB issues that have been noted here.

Sponsored

Priccijr

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Iced Blue
I bought this. Only comes on when truck is running. I got the front and rear option. I used an old iPhone as a monitor. I had to 3d print a mount for the rear camera so it didn't obstruct the window from opening.

Fitcamx

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I bought this. Only comes on when truck is running. I got the front and rear option. I used an old iPhone as a monitor. I had to 3d print a mount for the rear camera so it didn't obstruct the window from opening.

Fitcamx
Thanks for the info and link. I like the idea of using one that can be easily plugged in like that. You mentioned printing a mounting bracket. What was the issue with that? Does the mounting bracket included not fit?

Priccijr

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Iced Blue
Because of the rear window being able to open and close the rear camera would have had to have been mounted on one side of the window or the other. I made the mount so I could keep it in the middle of the window. even when the window is open

This guy has a pretty good install video

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have my dashcam wired directly to the fuse box and using the LVB with no issues. The draw on a dashcam is really small and should not affect your LVB at all as long as you drive every few days. I've had it connected this way for 4 months now. Given the sensitivity of the LVB, I think when it dies, I'll replace it with a larger battery. It might need some parameter changes to do that however since the truck monitors the amperage coming out of the LVB and sets off the warnings when it gets to a certain point. A bigger battery means I can set a higher set point assuming it is an editable parameter in ForeScan. In any case, I think a bigger LVB would still be cheaper than adding a secondary battery and any additional charging gear.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have taken a look at the camera that @Priccijr mentioned earlier and ordered it directly from FitCamx.

I like the idea of being able to use the power available at the mirror and not having to mess with fuse box. Please no extra cable to run.

I’m hopeful that it works as indicated and doesn’t cause an issue with the current battery.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Sponsored

bot2600

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have taken a look at the camera that @Priccijr mentioned earlier and ordered it directly from FitCamx.

I like the idea of being able to use the power available at the mirror and not having to mess with fuse box. Please no extra cable to run.

I’m hopeful that it works as indicated and doesn’t cause an issue with the current battery.

Thanks for everyone’s input.
I'd love to hear your experience once you get it set up. My wife recently had a driver hit her and try to blame her and her Tesla's sentry mode was the only thing that saved the day so I would love to get something set up on the Lightning.

The one thing I don't understand, is with all of the camera's built into the Lightning why we can't have a similar built in feature.

Reactions: dww
OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'd love to hear your experience once you get it set up. My wife recently had a driver hit her and try to blame her and her Tesla's sentry mode was the only thing that saved the day so I would love to get something set up on the Lightning.

The one thing I don't understand, is with all of the camera's built into the Lightning why we can't have a similar built in feature.
That is very good question.

I am going to install the FitCam model for the F150 that @Priccijr referenced earlier in the thread.

If I start getting more alerts about a (LVB) battery drain I will definitely go ahead and put the auxiliary battery in with a Bluetooth monitor on it so as to know when I need to charge it.
Sponsored