Sponsored

Dangers of Exceeding Max Payload?

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Since I don't have the handy smart scales, I inadvertently overloaded my truck for a cross-country move. I've already departed so there's not much I can do to lower weight aside from dumping stuff. As is, with me driving, the truck weighs 9400lbs roughly.

Most of the weight was front loaded in the bed and in the rear seat compartment. I haven't noticed any' magic carpet ride' handling I was reading about in the other thread, but you can tell the suspension is running out of travel over bumps. No impact on range, still getting 1.9mi/kWh at 77mph.

Anything I should be concerned with? I still have 1,800 miles to go. I've been leaving plenty of stopping distance since braking action is the most obvious concern to me. Anything else people know of?
Sponsored

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
You’re about 1000 pounds over max I believe. I wouldn’t worry about the mechanicals too much but do be careful with the tires. Keep your speed lower than normal and you should be fine. It’s not recommended but people overload trucks all the time. This is not financial or legal advice.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I wouldn't exceed 65, ideally lower. I would make sure to inflate tires to around 4lbs cold over the door sticker.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You’re about 1000 pounds over max I believe. I wouldn’t worry about the mechanicals too much but do be careful with the tires. Keep your speed lower than normal and you should be fine. It’s not recommended but people overload trucks all the time. This is not financial or legal advice.
It is too bad Ford didn't make the scale option standard, with easy to understand alerts. The number of vehicles driving, or towing, in excess of safe weights is much more than people think. Towing is the worst offender.

1,000 pounds over should never happen.

Sponsored
OP
OP

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Appreciate the responses. I have the tires at 42ish psi, but I'll go look them over and keep an eye on them as I travel. As for overloading it, I honestly just stuffed boxes and junk in the bed, with the cap there's plenty of volume and it snuck up on me. This late in the game a trailer would make things hard, I'm heading into the rural southwest for a couple days and the range hit could put me in a bind charging wise.

Never had a ticket, never been in an accident, so knock on wood I'll just keep cruising right lane at the speed limit and hit my destination safely. Thanks for the tips again my friends.

Last edited:

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Appreciate the responses. I have the tires at 42ish psi, but I'll go look them over and keep an eye on them as I travel. As for overloading it, I honestly just stuffed boxes and junk in the bed, with the cap there's plenty of volume and it snuck up on me. This late in the game a trailer would make things hard, I'm heading into the rural southwest for a couple days and the range hit could put me in a bind charging wise.

Never had a ticket, never been in an accident, so knock on wood I'll just keep cruising right lane at the speed limit and hit my destination safely. Thanks for the tips again my friends.
Where is our trip report?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired