Do people hate Lightnings?

Ducktape

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just had an ouch moment: this morning somebody must have smashed my taillight in a parking lot with a hammer or something. 2 grand for the part. Any idea on what triggers this? In MA we have special EV licence plates, maybe not so smart to display those?
Sponsored

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
What leads you to believe it was with a hammer? All kinds of things can happen in a parking lot.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

When I drove the MachE I had a few Mustang drivers cut me off, flip me off, or buzz by me. But so far never in the Lightning. Most people don't even seem to realize it's electric even with the special plate. Our AZ plates have been issued in the past for some hybrids and alternative fuels, not just electrics, so that might just confuse the issue here.

OP
OP

Ducktape

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Well it is just the plastic cover in the middle bulge, nothing
above or below. And the parking lot is just a road with angled parking on the side (tail sticking out).

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I am invisible to others unless I have the Frunk open.

Those that knew the truck with the funk closed and asked me about it were all already excited about it.

Those taillights are huge. Some idiot parked next to you probably was moving a shovel out and didn't handle it well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I appreciate those that think positive, however, I know first hand there are folks that have developed negative attitudes regarding anything that represents a ’green economy’.

Sad, but true!

Last edited:

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

When I drove the MachE I had a few Mustang drivers cut me off, flip me off, or buzz by me. But so far never in the Lightning. Most people don't even seem to realize it's electric even with the special plate. Our AZ plates have been issued in the past for some hybrids and alternative fuels, not just electrics, so that might just confuse the issue here.
Speaking of the “poofy cloud”plate issue, can we agree that a state that probably has more plate styles than any other state in the country allow us to choose our own damn plate! My “manly” truck is seriously hampered by a plate with wispy ☁ all over it!

*rant over

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Speaking of the “poofy cloud”plate issue, can we agree that a state that probably has more plate styles than any other state in the country allow us to choose our own damn plate! My “manly” truck is seriously hampered by a plate with wispy ☁ all over it!

*rant over
Pretty sure you can switch styles by paying for whatever style you want. But then you don't get unfettered access to the carpool lane on the freeways. Not like the ADOT officers ever do anything about offenders.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

*rant over
Just paint them black. You can't get manlier than Coal Rolling clouds.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Here in Florida I paid for the cute black bear plate, it also meant my fee was a donation to the Florida Wildlife Fish and Game department.

As for folks hating the Lightning, I have yet to have someone mouth off to me or otherwise give me trouble. I live in an area that is traditionally very conservative, but still no issues. It looks like a stock F-150. People legit didn't notice it was electric until the drunk comes up. Those with concerns about range, well it's valid, and I have no issues owning that too, but it works for me. I think most people respect that, what doesn't work for them, may work for others, and I haven't seen it get any more combative than that.

As for your taillight, I'm with the others. I think it's a lot more likely someone busted it not paying attention. Look how many folks are on their phone driving. No one pays enough attention to notice a Lightning in a parking lot, they barely look up from their phones (I too am guilty of this). I just don't think someone would bust a taillight. Way too obvious. They'd just key you, like what Teslas have dealt with.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Right! Had strange comments when loading at my Walmart…
Sad, I've often had positive interactions with grocery store patrons, knocking on wood this continues.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Pretty sure you can switch styles by paying for whatever style you want. But then you don't get unfettered access to the carpool lane on the freeways. Not like the ADOT officers ever do anything about offenders.
Sadly, you can not….for now. And I agree. Blacked out windows seems to serve the same
Purpose as the cloud plate as far as HOV access goes.

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had positive interactions from people in different grocery store parking lots. Most approached me, after putting groceries in the frunk. I then gave them a mini tour on the different features of the truck. Most left impressed, especially after telling them I just plug in while parked in the garage over night and ready to go the next morning, especially after comparing the cost of household electricity vs a gallon of gasoline.

I also park far away from the store entrance, with several empty lots between me and the next vehicle. The truck is big and I don't want anyone banging their car door into my truck.
Sponsored