Sponsored

Do people hate Lightnings?

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Years ago I walked up in the morning to my Link-Belt crawler crane that I’d parked close to a bar near an embayment where we’d been setting piling. An entire galvanized bumper lay next to the massive tracks. An epic struggle that the crane won by just being big and heavy.

Last edited:

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Well it is just the plastic cover in the middle bulge, nothing
above or below. And the parking lot is just a road with angled parking on the side (tail sticking out).
I'm pretty sure that's the part of the taillight that's most proud of the rest, so an accidental tap makes more sense.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Well it is just the plastic cover in the middle bulge, nothing
above or below. And the parking lot is just a road with angled parking on the side (tail sticking out).
It's always possible that a stray projectile broke your taillight. I don’t know how urban your Amesbury parking lot was, but things happen in suburban and rural areas. As a kid playing street baseball, someone in our gang hit a “home run” into a neighbor’s house window. As a teenage juvenile delinquent, I did the whole bit with peashooters and high-powered slingshots. Years ago, one of my neighbors thoughtlessly plinked at squirrels in his yard with a high-powered air rifle, and the shot was zinging through my trees overhead. It could have broken any of our skylights or the windshield of any car parked in our driveway or zapped one of my eyes. I’ve also known of people hurt in suburban or rural areas by stray bullets from hunters who didn’t think how far their bullet might go if they missed the intended target. So, although it may seem improbable, I’d like to suggest that any one of a variety of possible stray projectiles might have caused damage to your taillight. For instance, the owner might have retrieved an errant baseball, leaving you no evidence beyond your broken taillight. Perhaps the damage occurred before you parked, e.g., en route in a noisy environment, and you only happened to notice it on the way back to your parked truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
I had a guy in an older Silverado throw me a freedom rocket once driving on 91N in VT, but maybe it was the out of state plate.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Just had an ouch moment: this morning somebody must have smashed my taillight in a parking lot with a hammer or something. 2 grand for the part. Any idea on what triggers this? In MA we have special EV licence plates, maybe not so smart to display those?
My lightning took an arrow to the taillight with the same damage, but the culprit was one of my employees who was driving my F550 with a dump body. The height of the 550 meant that there was absolutely no body damage . I could imagine a similar situation happening to you.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
My lightning took an arrow to the taillight with the same damage, but the culprit was one of my employees who was driving my F550 with a dump body. The height of the 550 meant that there was absolutely no body damage . I could imagine a similar situation happening to you.
frickin arrow to the knee. everytime.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Just had an ouch moment: this morning somebody must have smashed my taillight in a parking lot with a hammer or something. 2 grand for the part. Any idea on what triggers this? In MA we have special EV licence plates, maybe not so smart to display those?
a) Teslas experience that a lot more than Lightnings. A lot more.
b) This attitude will dissipate over time as EVs become common place. Maybe another 5 years or so.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
I can verify your $$$$ amount. I had a snow removal vehicle back into mine a month ago. Very disappointing. $2046 for the light. $9600 total damage to repair everything. It's still not repaired, but the body shop did replace the light so it was legal to drive. They had to go to the dealer to get the cross-traffic sensor(s), etc to sync again.

Ford F-150 Lightning Do people hate Lightnings? crash

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I can verify your $$$$ amount. I had a snow removal vehicle back into mine a month ago. Very disappointing. $2046 for the light. $9600 total damage to repair everything. It's still not repaired, but the body shop did replace the light so it was legal to drive. They had to go to the dealer to get the cross-traffic sensor(s), etc to sync again.

crash.jpg
You can get replacement taillights in ebay for around $600. If you take the sensor out of your existing light and put it in the new light then you don’t have to get anything programmed. That’s what i did when mine got smashed. Saved me nearly $2k when you include the visit to the dealer.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
You don’t have to get the EV plate. I just used the regular plate from my previous vehicle (which was also an EV, actually). I didn’t feel much need to advertise that the vehicle is an EV.
Sponsored