• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does the Lightning Still Stack Up Well vs. Other EV Trucks?

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
So now that there are some more options for EV trucks how do folks feel the Lightning stacks up? Does it still meet expectations or has some of the luster worn off? Here are my thoughts on some of the others but what others are thinking and is everybody still happy with their decision or is anybody thinking about jumping ship?

The Rivian is a really nice truck with great features but I get tired of always seeing it being put up against the Lightning, besides being an EV truck that’s where the comparison stops in my book. It’s not full-size and with the smaller cabin and smaller bed it’s not in the same class in my book.

The Cybertruck has a really unique design and being a Tesla it does set itself apart but the looks are polarizing. Plus can it be used to do truck stuff like filling up the bed with mulch or lumber or a bunch of hay.

The new Silverado looks pretty good with the ability to do truck stuff and more range and could be a serious competitor. But with the significantly higher price point it just doesn’t make sense to me. Plus I’ve read that it’s slower than the Lightning?

The Hummer EV pickup? Probably my favorite as far as looks and being an ev super truck with good range. But when you look into it the bed is smaller and the interior has less passenger room so while it looks closer to full-size, it’s not. Plus again it’s a much higher price point.

Don’t think I left any out, but to me I still feel like the Lightning has advantages over the others.
Sponsored

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
Seems like you answered your own question.

But seriously, you hit the main points for each truck. I love the Rivian, but it’s too small and too expensive for my needs.

Out of all the EV trucks out there, the Lightning offers the best combination of looks, range, space, and utility for the lowest price. For me it was a no-brainer.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I canceled my Silverado order when the price was released and the Lightning got a reduction. After watching SOC towing challenge against Rivan, cyber and Silverado, if I could get a LT trim Silverado in a similar price as my XLT ER, I'd change. Regardless of all the save the planet EV Fanboys, I'm not one. I like the Lightning a lot and it meets my needs, but I will not ignore the ridiculous charging availability or limits driving this truck caused when people ask. I've been in EV community since 2021 Mach-e and the improvements are not radically fast for charging locations.

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Photographer
but I will not ignore the ridiculous charging availability or limits driving this truck caused when people ask. I've been in EV community since 2021 Mach-e and the improvements are not radically fast for charging locations.
Other than the recent quadrupling of charge locations courtesy of SpaceX?

Sponsored

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Photographer
Is the lightning still relevant? Well in my little trendy corner of California, I can say that I saw very few lightnings a year ago, and quite a few Rivian. Today I see 3-4 lightings a day, the occasional Rivian and 1-2 cybertrucks (one next door, one blacked out with vinyl, which didn’t help). I’ve yet to see a Chevy. While all the competitors have the leg up from a technology stand point, the ford wins on “f-150” territory. Familiarity, feature set, performance and price. Ford made an f-150, not a raptor, when it certainly could have. Ford is smart, and there are more of them on the road for that reason. It’s the closest thing to an affordable ev truck right now.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Other than the recent quadrupling of charge locations courtesy of SpaceX?
It helps give options, but it does not fill many holes in the charging infrastructure, look at Mississippi, it is a waste land. My daughter starts at USM in Hattiesburg and it will be a total pain driving the Lightning there and back from Huntsville. Tesla have better locations but not in many gaps when you look at the map and plan.

When people ask me I tell the truth with actual knowledge to the areas they drive and need vs just say oh its great now with Tesla.

BarryGoyette

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Photographer
Well of course you’re talking about a very specific route (which has way more locations than it did at the beginning of the year. ) and even that isn’t exactly dire (the problem being Hattiesburg, not the rest of the route). So you have to top up on a 62kw charge point which suck but won’t kill you. Seems like there would be options at hotels/on campus in Hattiesburg that will make life easier. I just did a trip through the desert southwest (where the distances are much larger) and really had no issues. Free chargers in the national parks, and hotels gave me 100% starts to my day with fast chargers every 100-175 miles. Here on the coast I can make it from Mexico to Canada without the slightest of worries. My guess is your experience in the south has more to do with ev adoption than anything..as I’m guessing gas prices are well “south” of the $5.79 I’d be paying here.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Charging has not charged as significantly as you are assuming, and I've been traveling in SE. I respect all opinions, but you are CA and the SE is not the same. If I lived in CA no problem, but you start road tripping AL, TN, VA, GA, MS and you will learn.

BTW I'm not giving up on my Lightning, with current options available I'd still buy it. I have 8 year 100k warranty on the entire truck and will drive it awhile.

Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
The max spec Silverado would make it from Huntsville to Hattiesburg (330 miles) in one charge. It tested at 430 miles at 70MPH. If that is the sort of stuff that you need to do then the Lightning is not really the best form of transportation. If you don’t need a truck for the job, you could do it pretty easily in a Hyundai or a Kia with two quick charges totaling 17 minutes.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
From the get-go, the LIGHTNING has been a truck, for truck buyers, for truck doers, and for those wanting a MASSIVE amount of cabin space and towing capabilities, with plenty of bed space, to boot.
Now, if you want 'looks', then the F150 Lightning simply is camouflaged by it's 'regular' F150 look, which I appreciate, but you can get a Rivian and people will 'smile' at your front headlights. You can get a Cybertruck to 'stick out in a crowd', and hope that no one 'touches' it, as you may not yet know how to clean the stainless steel. You could get a Hummer, and laugh loudly when someone wants to ride somewhere with you, comfortably. You may be able to get a Silverado, and then wonder 'how' to carry something on the back bed rails when the 'slope' gets in the way... oh well.
You may even be able to get a RAM, if you also want an engine to go with it...

I love the UTILITY of the LIGHTNING. I love the range... my SR PRO can go anywhere I need it to. There is no 'limits'. I can tow my camper easily, AND power the camper and it's air conditioning WHILE underway. I can throw up the back seats and have a MASSIVE amount of additional space. I can provide some power to the house, even, if I ever need to. Easy.

I love my 'plain Jane' truck. I think all the others are 'trying' to be a truck. Their design teams have gotten the prime position, I'm afraid.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I don't even want folks to KNOW that I am an electric truck.
The only time it seems to get noticed is when I'm sitting at a Tesla Supercharger, plugged in... that's when the eyeballs start rolling...

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
It helps give options, but it does not fill many holes in the charging infrastructure, look at Mississippi, it is a waste land.
For sure. I'm in Memphis and we'll be driving down to Pensacola next month. I'm planning on going through Birmingham. Mississippi is a desert, but that's no surprise.

As far as OP's topic, the Silverado is really the only direct competitor to the Lightning. The Rivian is more equivalent to an EV version of the Ridgeline if the Ridgeline didn't suck. Cybertruck stands alone. But price aside, the Silverado seems to be a solid win over the Lightning.

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
When I saw the price of the 24Chevy Silverado RST - starting at $96,495 it made me happy with my choice. The challenge continues to be a reliable fast charging network (even with the welcome edition of the Tesla network via the adaptor.
Sponsored