• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dog Mode

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Wasn’t my dog that fell out.
‘I had to see it.
‘it was Awful .

that’s a pic of my dog that’s still waiting for a lightning shipped notice.
I can't imagine - but given that I've seen a lot of dogs running around in truck beds, I can understand how it happens.

(My quote/comment was in jest, a movie line from National Lampoon's Vacation.)
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Interesting, I didn't realize they made this task more cumbersome than in the ICE F-150. In that version all you need to do is just leave the vehicle with the key while the truck is running and lock it. The climate setting will still run like if you were in the vehicle with the key. You could also try leaving the fob in the vehicle and locking it via the FordPass app but thats not the best option if you're in a place with a weak cell signal.
The problem is that -- if the FOB is left in the vehicle -- ANYONE can walk up to the vehicle, put their hand behind (around) any door handle, and the car will automatically unlock.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
@FirstF150InCasco - thanks for the work-around! I assumed this could be done. I want to be able to use Dog Mode as Camp Mode (HVAC overnight). Here are a couple questions that address that use case:

How long will it stay in dog mode? Until the battery runs down to the preset level you have chosen? What if you are 150 miles from the nearest charging station on a trip you have set/planned - will that alter the preset? Do you have to do anything special with that?
Sorry, but I do not know the answer off the top of my head, but I do recall that the manual does discuss this point. (The section of the manualy about deactiating the "auto shut down."

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
The problem is that -- if the FOB is left in the vehicle -- ANYONE can walk up to the vehicle, put their hand behind (around) any door handle, and the car will automatically unlock.
Not true. if you use the special process to lock FOB inside truck; it will not unlock unless you enter code or use the fordpass app.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
press bottom 2 buttons on the keypad
Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunatly that does not solve the problem. Locking the vehicle with those two buttons locks the vehicle -- I do it all the time. The problem is that, if the fob is in the vehicle, anyone can walk up to the vehicle and unlock it by simply putting their hand inside the handle for a second. This is called "keyless entry" (which is NOT associated with the "Keyless entry Keypad" -- it's something else entirely.) The manual says you can turn "keyless entry" on or off but it does not have this as a valid option (yet) in the actual truck.

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
Thanks for the quick answer. Unfortunatly that does not solve the problem. Locking the vehicle with those two buttons locks the vehicle -- I do it all the time. The problem is that, if the fob is in the vehicle, anyone can walk up to the vehicle and unlock it by simply putting their hand inside the handle for a second. This is called "keyless entry" (which is NOT associated with the "Keyless entry Keypad" -- it's something else entirely.) The manual says you can turn "keyless entry" on or off but it does not have this as a valid option (yet) in the actual truck.
the truck does not unlock by grabbing the handle from outside after you press the 7/8 9/0 button. It’s the same as sitting in the truck with it running and locking the doors. They do not unlock if someone walks up and pulls the handle. That would be silly.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
the truck does not unlock by grabbing the handle from outside after you press the 7/8 9/0 button. It’s the same as sitting in the truck with it running and locking the doors. They do not unlock if someone walks up and pulls the handle. That would be silly.
I hope you are right. I'll check it again when I am next near the truck. I thought I had tested it properly, but maybe I'm mistaken. We'll see!!

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
I hope you are right. I'll check it again when I am next near the truck. I thought I had tested it properly, but maybe I'm mistaken. We'll see!!
If you leave the truck running with the key fob inside with you pet (or a human) and hit the two buttons to lock it, pulling the exterior handle will definitely not unlock the door. Could someone smash the window and steal our truck? Sure……but our 60 pound pit bull is very protective of his truck. Lol

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If you leave the truck running with the key fob inside with you pet (or a human) and hit the two buttons to lock it, pulling the exterior handle will definitely not unlock the door. Could someone smash the window and steal our truck? Sure……but our 60 pound pit bull is very protective of his truck. Lol
Thanks. I expect you are right. I will test it again (when I am next near the truck.)

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hello all!

Our Lightning is officially signed for and awaiting the recall fix for pickup! Very excited!

That being said, in planning a trip this week, we realized how limited the app is now that we are playing with it. I hate to do another Tesla compare, but I have to here...

We have two dogs and they go everywhere with us, and we drive a lot. For reference, we did a last minute drive this past Friday. Left Boston at noon, got to PA for a big work party at 7 PM, leaving the dogs safely in the car, and left at 10 PM to drive home (stayed night in CT). Without dog mode, we could not have eaten while charging, gone to the party, or enjoyed some stops on the way.

Now I read the threads on here and we are hopeful a Pet Mode is coming (especially with the patent and Rivian releasing it), but we need some solution for now. I was always taught to not leave animals in cars so I am not sure how people normally do without dog mode.

We expected to be able to work around the pet mode manually. We thought the app would let us start the truck and set a temperature but just realized today that we can start it, but cannot set the climate. More than that it doesn't tell us the exterior or interior temperatures. We knew we didn't have dog mode, but assumed these manual settings for clinate were basic app functionality in other EVs; they have been in Tesla since day 1 for us (2018).

So what we are looking at is buying a Waggle (silly waste of money but Ford hasn't given us a mode yet....) To monitor temps, but how do we leave the climate running? It looks like the app shuts down climate after 15 minutes, but we can keep adding 15 minutes? So is our solution to set a temp in the truck, lock it, start it from the app, and set a timer to extend the run time every 15 minutes? Then we have the Waggle as a backup in case this doesn't work and temps rise.

I feel like we are missing something, any input is appreciated! We are feeling some stress on the purchase with the hassel this is right now, especially since we cannot sell it for a year if this becomes an issue.

(Admission: I never planned on being this person, but yes we are marginally crazy dog people who treat them like human kids).
UPDATED DIY DOG MODE INSTRUCTIONS

I’m posting revised Dog Mode instructions based on input from a number of you. Bottom line, these new instructions (a) allow you to leave the Remote in the car (if you want to) AND (b) assure that the doors are locked!
  • AC / Heat On: Be sure it’s set to “Auto” and to, say, 73 degrees.
  • Truck On: Leave the Truck Running.
  • Lights to Off: Turn the dial to the left until it’s “off”.
  • “Power Down” Timer Off: Turn Off the 30 second “Vehicle Power Down Timer”: Note, if you shut the truck off by mistake during this process, you MUST repeat this step. This step is required every time.
    • Truck Image
    • “Settings”
    • “Vehicle”
    • Turn off first setting, “Vehicle Power Down” – This must be manually toggled to “Off” EVERY time (because when the car is shut off, this immediately “resets” to “Timer On”.)
  • Manual Paper Sign: I put a “Dog Mode” sign over the display.
  • Open Door: Dash will say, “Truck is Running.” Ignore or press “OK”.
  • Exit: You can take the Remote OR you can leave the Remote.
  • Lock Truck: Lock the truck by simultaneously pressing the “9-0” and “7-8” buttons on the “Keyless Entry Keypad” (on the door jam.) Confirm truck is locked by confirming the traditional door lock “knobs” are down after closing all doors. If the truck double chirps, it is NOT locked.
  • Confirm Running: Confirm the truck is still running. (The dashboard should look like it does when you are driving.)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired