• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Driving through high water

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
I got caught in a coastal storm surge recently and had to drive my Lightning through some high water (salt water at that) to get out. Just wondering if anyone is aware of any potential damage to the battery or undercarriage I might have caused by this. I put it through a car wash twice and tried my best to pressure wash the bottom side of the truck the next day to remove any fine sand and salts that may have intruded. The water did not come up to the bottom of the doors.
Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Tough call on this one, sorry it happened!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The manual is the same for the ICE F150 (and most other vehicles). It says don’t submerge the wheel hubs.
I’ve gone deeper than that on previous trucks (only when necessary) without issue. I expect the Lightning to perform similarly.
My guess is that you won’t see any issues. Just a guess!

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I would personally do what you already did, so I believe you should be fine. Unless you take it through a fresh water body of water next…

There was a video somewhere showing the F150L going through really deep water, and it came out the other side OK.

OP
OP

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
I would personally do what you already did, so I believe you should be fine. Unless you take it through a fresh water body of water next…

There was a video somewhere showing the F150L going through really deep water, and it came out the other side OK.
I think I saw that video after I posted this. It was in south Florida. It went through water far deeper than what I went through, but it was rainwater, not salt water. I think I'm ok. Haven't noticed any changes in the truck. It's the cleanest it's been since I bought it, I know that.

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The best thing you can do now for the truck is to drive it through equally deep fresh water, slowly. Or spend a lot of time with a hose underneath it, running water into every recess you can find. Don't spray it. Just use an open hose end, and direct it with your thumb. Spraying will force salt into the cracks further.

Here's what I picked up on a trip to the National Seashore. You didn't run it through deep sand like I did, but imagine the amount of salt you got up in there.

Ford F-150 Lightning Driving through high water IMG_5354.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Driving through high water IMG_5352.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Driving through high water IMG_5353.JPG

DatOleMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat and 2022 Mach e Premium
Look for a Blue Beacon Truck Wash at a truck stop near you. They do an undercarriage wash for trucks that encounter road salt during winter months. It’s a service they provide year round.

OP
OP

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
Look for a Blue Beacon Truck Wash at a truck stop near you. They do an undercarriage wash for trucks that encounter road salt during winter months. It’s a service they provide year round.
Will do, thanks!